West Ham v Southampton

All the latest breaking news,important match topics and great discussion can be found right here!

Moderators: Steely Hill, Moderators

West Ham v Southampton

Postby Conner99 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:51 pm

West Ham made it 3 wins in a row as they beat Norwich 2-0 at Upton Park , it was also another clean sheet for the Hammers ..their 13th of the season and the most in the Premier League ..will Sam Allardyce be a possible contender for manager of the month ...who knows , but he had this to say after the match ."There was nothing between the teams today apart from the fact we were the ones who took our chances when they came our way .Three wins on the trot is a brilliant ask from the players and a brilliant response to what we wanted to do and what we knew we were capable of."

Southampton will want to get back to winning ways after going out of the FA Cup to struggling Sunderland , manager Mauricio Pochettino made six changes to his side and they failed to make any real threat as they lost the chance to make the quarter finals .
Conner99
Admin
Admin

Postby Steely Hill » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:54 am

the referee will be none other than Mr Clattenburg who officiates his first Southampton game since they lodged a complaint against him. we'll see whether he over compensates for this by being lenient towards the away side. we do have plenty of history when it comes to Mr Clattenburg's incompetence so it would be no surprise.
Steely Hill
Admin
Admin

Postby Hams » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:03 pm

He better not over compensate in this game to give the Saints an easier time and I'll be watching him very closely!

Southampton may not give %100 percent as they are safe from the drop and really have nothing at all to play for but their pride.
Hams
Admin
Admin

Location: London Supports West Ham United and Atletico Madrid

Postby Conner99 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:21 pm

I don't think Southampton will take it easy just yet ...there are still 12 games to go , plenty of points to be won or lost , and West Ham still need the points ..only 4 pts off the relegation zone .
Conner99
Admin
Admin

Postby Hams » Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:22 pm

Did you know that West Ham have kept four clean sheets in a row for the first time in Premier League history
they havent kept five in a row in the topflight since December 1985.

Any more comments or predictions?
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Conner99 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:15 pm

Hams wrote:Did you know that West Ham have kept four clean sheets in a row for the first time in Premier League history
they havent kept five in a row in the topflight since December 1985.

Any more comments or predictions?

kiss of death from Hams .... :lol:
Conner99
Admin
Admin

Postby Pickleman1967 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:45 pm

Just to 'hammer' the final nail in the coffin of the Iron's chances, I have said they will win 1-0 in the predictions thread. I am really poor at forecasting the results for West Ham, just seems whatever I say they go and confound me. Sorry Hams, sorry Steely....

West Ham 1 Southampton 0
Pickleman1967
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby Hams » Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:31 pm

Teams

West Ham:
Adrian, Demel, Tomkins, Collins, McCartney, Nolan, Noble, Taylor, Downing, C.Cole, Jarvis.

Subs: Jaaskelainen, Reid, Armero, Collison, Diame, J.Cole, Nocerino.

Southampton:
Boruc, Chambers, Fonte, Yoshida, Shaw, Cork, Schneiderlin, S. Davis, Lallana, Rodriguez, Lambert.

Subs: K. Davis, Clyne, Lovren, Ramirez, Ward-Prowse, Guly, Gallagher.
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Hams » Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:55 pm

HT

West Ham 2-1 Southampton

Yoshida 9'

Jarvis 20'

C.Cole 23'
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Hams » Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:05 pm

FT

West Ham 3-1 Southampton
0-1 Yoshida 9'
1-1 Jarvis 20'
2-1 C.Cole 23'
3-1 Nolan 71'

The Hammers win for a 4th time in a row.

Sam Allardyce for manager of the month!
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Pickleman1967 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:26 am

Allardyce should be considered for Manager of the Month when you look at the turn around in the fortunes of West Ham. The team is playing with more confidence, and are converting chances they couldn't finish earlier in the season. You have to say they look safe from relegation now.

Southampton didn't play badly and created plenty of chances. Poor defending allowed the third (killer) goal by Nolan - well taken but he was totally unmarked in the middle of the penalty area!
Pickleman1967
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby Hams » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:37 am

Having seen the highlights now i guess it would be fair to say West Ham were some what lucky to win this game.

Southampton certainly started very well and took a deserved early lead and were the only side who played any football.

It is great to win when you don't play well but this was similar to the Norwich game who like the Saints played well but left Upton Park empty handed.

Is it too much to ask for my team the Hammers to win games by playing decent football or should i just be happy to win ugly and keep on picking up 3 points?
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Steely Hill » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:21 am

Hams wrote:Is it too much to ask for my team the Hammers to win games by playing decent football

to be honest, yes.

we're in a relegation scrap and every point counts. you have to earn the right to be able to waste time passing the ball along the backline but we have no such luxury. put simply, for all the possession out opponents have had in the last 5 games we have conceded a measly one solitary goal, meanwhile we've scored nine (probably averaging about 35-40% possession in those games. that tells you all you need to know about possession football. it is over rated and, essentially, glorified time wasting.

now, i'm not for a second suggesting that whacking it long is the only way it should be but there needs to be urgency in a team's play, especially one in our position. basically, it isn't how long you have the ball for, it is what you do with it that really counts.

we've won four games in a row. if ever there was a time for negativity it most certainly isn't now.

looking forward to Carroll coming back into this resurgent side. Cole wasn't actually as bad as he usually is but its still a considerable step up to bring in Carroll. amazing to think that Reid can't force his way back in yet, such is the consistently solid performances of Tomkins and Collins - although their goal was shambolic defending.

Nolan had yet another fine game and is back to leading by example rather than spending half the game in the referees ear and letting the game pass us by, Diame looks to have got a bit of hunger back since he was dropped and we still have a couple of Italians waiting for their chance.

all in all, things are back to being positive as it looks like we're getting away with our gambles ni the transfer window. i dare say this summer will see a few positions given the back up they require.
Steely Hill
Admin
Admin

Return to Barclays Premier League