England v Denmark - 5th March

Join us here to discuss all the Euro 2016 qualifiers plus England internationals as The 3 Lions try and reach the finals in France.

Moderator: Moderators

England v Denmark - 5th March

Postby Hams » Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:09 pm

Here is England's squad to play Denmark at Wembley next Wednesday.

This will be the 3 Lions final match over here before they head off to Miami in May.

Squad in full:

Goalkeepers: Fraser Forster (Celtic), Ben Foster (West Bromwich Albion), Joe Hart (Manchester City), John Ruddy (Norwich City).

Defenders: Leighton Baines (Everton), Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Steven Caulker (Cardiff City), Ashley Cole (Chelsea), Glen Johnson (Liverpool), Luke Shaw (Southampton), Chris Smalling (Manchester United), Kyle Walker (Tottenham Hotspur).

Midfielders: Ross Barkley (Everton), Michael Carrick (Manchester United), Tom Cleverley (Manchester United), Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), Adam Lallana (Southampton), Frank Lampard (Chelsea), James Milner (Manchester City), Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Arsenal), Raheem Sterling (Liverpool), Andros Townsend (Tottenham Hotspur), Jack Wilshere (Arsenal).

Forwards: Jermain Defoe (Toronto FC), Rickie Lambert (Southampton), Jay Rodriguez (Southampton), Wayne Rooney (Manchester United), Daniel Sturridge (Liverpool), Daniel Welbeck (Manchester United).
Hams
Admin
Admin

Location: London Supports West Ham United and Atletico Madrid

Postby Hams » Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:14 pm

Any thoughts? - Who should Roy Hodgson select to take on the Danes at Wembley?
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Hams » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:24 pm

Having studied the squad I dont know why Foster,Caulker,Cole,Johnson,Smalling,Carrick.Cleverly or Defoe were all included.
They just haven't done enough in my view this season to deserve a call up to the England set up and other options should have been looked at.
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Hams » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:58 pm

Teams

ENGLAND:
Hart, Johnson, Cahill, Smalling, Cole, Gerrard, Henderson, Wilshere, Rooney, Sterling, Sturridge.

Subs: Shaw, Foster, Baines, Caulker, Carrick, Milner, Lampard, Barkley, Cleverley, Lallana, Ruddy,
Forster, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Townsend, Lambert, Defoe, Welbeck, Rodriguez

DENMARK:
Schmeichel, Jacobsen, Kjaer, Agger, Ankersen, Kvist, Sloth, Poulsen, Larsen, Bendtner, Krohn-Dehli.

Subs Kahlenberg, Bjelland, Kusk, Olsen, Andersen, Zimling, Rasmussen, Delaney, Ankersen, Juelsgard, Lossl, Makienok.
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Hams » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:01 pm

HT

England 0-0 Denmark

Poor first half by England.
We only came to life in last few minutes.

Denmarks Poulsen had best chance in first period.
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Pickleman1967 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:04 pm

Can't believe we are not ahead with those chances for Sterling and Sturridge, but a funny old game with a quiet atmosphere. I guess the gaps in the crowd tell the story of how exciting England fans thought this game would be.

Roy has dumfounded the pundits with the way he has positioned Sturridge, Sterling, and Rooney. I'm not sure what his thinking is, but it doesn't seem to be working. I usually find the second half in friendlies hard work as a load of subs come on, the team loses shape and the only thing you can really take from it is individual performances.

Still, I'd like to see a few England goals to keep me dreaming about our World Cup chances...
Pickleman1967
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby Pickleman1967 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:51 pm

Great goal by Sturridge, England certainly deserved to take the lead. Denmark were disappointing for me, a cautious defensive display - for f*ck's sake, it is a friendly, have a go and entertain the punters.

Sometimes when I watch games like this I think we would be as well to play Scotland or Wales - they would bring a big crowd, an atmosphere, and a spicier game.

As ever with friendlies these days, the game tells you precious little about potential new formations or future stars for England. :roll:
Pickleman1967
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby Hams » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:30 am

FT

England 1-0 Denmark
1-0 Sturridge 82'

It looked like we were going to go without scoring for another home game following the defeats by Germany and Chile.

At least that run was ended when Lallana managed to send over that cross which Sturridge managed to head in on 82 mins.

I thought Sterling played well but wasn't impressed by any other players and Wayne Rooney was just plain awful out there.

If we can't win at home comfortably against an average Danish side we have no chance to beat Italy or Uruguay in Brazil.
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Hams » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:29 pm

Going back to this game again I didn't like the 4-3-3 formation which Roy Hodgson used with Sturridge on left side.
It only worked when Adam Lallana came on and was able to float that ball over for the Liverpool striker to head home.
So the England manager needs to go back to the drawing board again if were going to be sticking with Wayne Rooney in team.
Hams
Admin
Admin

Return to International football