Stoke v Arsenal

All the latest breaking news,important match topics and great discussion can be found right here!

Moderators: Steely Hill, Moderators

Stoke v Arsenal

Postby Conner99 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:39 pm

Stoke were beaten 1-0 by Man City at the Etihad , the result was perhaps a little hard on them and manager Mark Hughes said as much after the game .."We are disappointed because we came here with a gameplan and we executed it really well.They found us really hard to break down."In the end, we have just made a couple of errors which led to the goal and they were grateful to get the goal and the three points."

Arsenal kept their title challenge going with a 4-1 win over Sunderland ....2 goals for Giroud ..one of them a gift from Sunderland defender Santiago Vergini whose back pass to keeper Vito Mannone was nowhere near good enough , helped the Gunners take control of the match ...it was cruise control from then on ..a late consolation goal for Sunderland did spoil the recent run of clean sheets for Arsenal at the Emirates ..but the 3 pts were more then enough for the home fans .
Conner99
Admin
Admin

Postby Hams » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:46 am

Stoke were somewhat unlucky to lose away at Man City in their last game.
If Arsenal play as well as they did against Sunderland they should come away with all 3 points.

Stoke 0-2 Arsenal
Hams
Admin
Admin

Location: London Supports West Ham United and Atletico Madrid

Postby Hams » Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:21 pm

Did you know that the Potters have committed more fouls than any other team
in the Premier League (360) and picked up the most cards (58 yellows and three reds).

Any more comments or predictions?
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Pickleman1967 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:46 am

Disappointingly (for Tottenham fans) the Arsenal train has defied critics and stayed pretty much stayed on the tracks this season, and lets be honest we are just a few months away from the end of the season now. The 'big' games in March await the Gooners after this 'hors d'oeuvres', a game they surely have to win if they are going to keep the league challenge alive.

Stoke also have a big challenge ahead in March, with four crunch matches against teams in the lower half of the league to come after this tie against Arsenal. Home wins against Chelsea and Man United have to be the high points of the season for Stoke, and they were perhaps a tad unlucky not to get a draw with Man City last week but sh*t happens when you are struggling so Sparky will have to pick up his troops to fight another difficult encounter.

This will be a comfortable win for Arsenal, rather annoyingly they have proved me right every time I've backed them this season. Stoke 1 Arsenal 3.
Pickleman1967
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby Arthur V » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:33 am

0-3

Arsenal will win the PL.
Arthur V
Youth Academy
Youth Academy

Postby Stan Kroenke's moustache » Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:44 pm

Arthur V wrote:0-3

Arsenal will win the PL.

Haven't seen you around here for a while, welcome back (and I hope you're right)! Will be a tricky game, we don't win at the Britannia often.

2-0 Arsenal
Stan Kroenke's moustache

Postby Hams » Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:29 pm

Stoke City:
Begovic; Cameron, Shawcross, Wilson, Pieters; Walters, Nzonzi, Whelan, Adam, Arnautovic; Crouch.

Subs: Sorensen, Muniesa, Palacios, Guidetti, Etherington, Wilkinson, Ireland.

Arsenal:
Szczesny, Sagna, Mertesacker, Koscielny, Gibbs, Arteta, Wilshere, Rosicky, Cazorla, Podolski, Giroud.

Subs: Fabianski, Vermaelen, Flamini, Ozil, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Gnabry, Sanogo.
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby specnur » Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:49 pm

As usual with Stoke games i expect a rough encounter and with Sparky at the helm trying to keep out of the relegation zone i expect a bit more football rather than plain thuggery!

3-1 Arsenal
specnur
Legend
Legend

Postby Hams » Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:46 pm

HT

Stoke 0-0 Arsenal
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby specnur » Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:52 pm

messy first half by both teams , with Stoke doing a good job preventing Arsenal from getting their passing game together!
Wilshere still not doing it for me and Rosicky has to stop foolishly turning the ball over!
Hopefully Wenger see's what needs to be done and they com out with a bit more sharpness,but this game got draw written all over based on that first half!
specnur
Legend
Legend

Postby specnur » Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:28 pm

don't know what this ref is doing ,but how Giroud hasn't come off that pitch with a broken leg yet is beyond me! ON two separate occasions a stoke player has stomped on his leg while he was on the ground. Absolutely disgusting behavior and the Stoke of old has reemerged under Hughes!
specnur
Legend
Legend

Postby specnur » Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:56 pm

poor effort form Arsenal today! Not sure why Ox wasn't on from the start! The miss from Sanogo was shocking ! Any player that puts on an Arsenal shirt under Wenger that chance should be training pitch stuff!
This could be the start of that plunge is aid would take place at this point in the season!
Ox was the only help we got off the bench today no other player made a similar impact and for me that is the difference between title contenders and title pretenders!
specnur
Legend
Legend

Postby Simply » Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:58 pm

..this was an embarrassing performance from Arsenal.. Stoke didn't look very dangerous and managed to win.. I'm shocked
Simply
Youth Academy
Youth Academy

Postby Hams » Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:20 pm

FT

Stoke City 1-0 Arsenal
1-0 Walters 76' PEN

Any comments on this poor display from the miss firing Gunners?
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Pickleman1967 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:26 pm

A mare of a result for Arsenal, didn't see the game but the pundits who did watch it described it as a "flat" performance by the Gunners. This was always a 'must win' game for Arsenal because things aren't going to get easier this month in terms of the opposition awaiting them. I guess Wenger is hoping for a favour from Southampton to keep his team in contention tonight. I wouldn't say this is the fatal blow that puts Arsenal out of contention for the title, they are a team that can 'play up' when faced with the 'big boys' rather than a workman like side like Stoke.

Stoke claim another scalp, how the f*ck do they do it? Why is it Arsenal have a problem with them? I have to give Sparky credit, I have said his team will go down but six points clear of the relegation zone gives him a decent buffer. The games they face in the rest of this month are more important than this one, as they are against relegation rivals, but a win against Arsenal will undoubtedly give the club a massive boost.
Pickleman1967
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby Hams » Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:30 am

Stoke claim another scalp, how the f*ck do they do it? Why is it Arsenal have a problem with them?

In my view Arsenal seem to have some sort of mental block
when they go to the Brittania stadium and appear to let Stoke just bully them all over the pitch.

It could also be that they still havent been able to get the image of when Shawcross broke Ramsey's leg out of their minds.

There was a couple of bad fouls by that Charlie Adam today that just went unpunished by the ref and Mark Hughes ended up taking him off for his own good.
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby specnur » Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:45 am

I don't think the stoke bullying Arsenal holds much water today.
I think you have to give Stoke credit for playing better football under Sparky this season!
Adams should have got red carded without question but outside of that Arsenal were just flat ,probably from the heavy schedule and lack of depth. There was a time when Stoke were allowed to get away with murder in the pitch almost literally by the officials.
Not Only the Ramsey horror ,but them taking out 3 of our player for a month a piece in one match.
And not a single card was shown to any of the culprits from my recollection. I don;t think that eight on the minds of the players today though.
And the insinuation that Arsenal fear anyone is preposterous quite frankly and stinks of mundane patriotic ignorance.

Arsenal just don't have the depth right now and the player are tired !

Stoke were allowed to mug Giroud all game though and those stomp on his shin need retroactive punishment!
specnur
Legend
Legend

Postby Pickleman1967 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:03 am

Having seen the highlights, I agree that it was a poor Arsenal performance, and Stoke were taking no prisoners. They got away with some obvious fouls, the ref didn't have a good day at the office.

The penalty looked a tad harsh, but you see them given so Wenger should stop whinging about it. The stats say Arsenal had 10 shots on target against Stokes 8, if you don't take your chances you get punished.

I'm not having the 'tired' excuse for Arsenal, they had a full week to recover from a comfortable home win against Sunderland. If they are running on empty now, what chance of winning the hard games coming up this month? Too many players were under par, but they didn't look 'leggy' to me. You can be damn sure Everton and Bayern will carve them open if they put in a similar display next week.
Pickleman1967
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby specnur » Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:05 pm

Pickleman1967 wrote:Having seen the highlights, I agree that it was a poor Arsenal performance, and Stoke were taking no prisoners. They got away with some obvious fouls, the ref didn't have a good day at the office.

The penalty looked a tad harsh, but you see them given so Wenger should stop whinging about it. The stats say Arsenal had 10 shots on target against Stokes 8, if you don't take your chances you get punished.

I'm not having the 'tired' excuse for Arsenal, they had a full week to recover from a comfortable home win against Sunderland. If they are running on empty now, what chance of winning the hard games coming up this month? Too many players were under par, but they didn't look 'leggy' to me. You can be damn sure Everton and Bayern will carve them open if they put in a similar display next week.

Well this is what i said from the start of the season ,if they don't buy in January they will plunge down the league at this point in time. They don't have enough depth at tis time in the season ,when teams are trying to stay out of the relegation zone and others are fighting to get into Europe. The level of competition is too high for Arsenal's current squad. A week off ! How long was the German Winter break again ? Obviously it isn't enough for a team as light as ours! It's the physical fatigue as much as the mental fatigue that is hounding our team at the moment ,and i know that Cazorla for on has been doing rings recently that he has never had to do before ,which is upping his workload by tracking back! Now it doesn't sound like a lot ,but when Wilshere is still struggling for form Cazorla is one of the only ether central creative players we have. We are slowly breaking down. We have done better than i expected though that for sure.
Mate if we had the depth you lot had in the middle of the park we would be laughing ,you got Sandro coming back and Paulinho coming back into shape after injury . If both those player get back to how they were before injury you guys should be making a massive run ,we don't have that!
specnur
Legend
Legend

Postby Arthur V » Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:04 pm

Stoke City 1-0 Arsenal

:x
Arthur V
Youth Academy
Youth Academy

Next

Return to Barclays Premier League