Arsenal v Everton - 8th March

Let us know your thoughts on this years competition! Can anyone break the dominance of the big four?

Moderator: Moderators

Arsenal v Everton - 8th March

Postby Hams » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:48 pm

With Arsenal's PL form dropping and soon to be knocked out of the CL this looks like
the only chance left now for the Gunners to win some silverware and end their long trophy drought.

Everton are still going well in the PL and are still in contention to qualify for Europe next season.
Roberto Martinez of course won the FA cup with Wigan last season and I'm sure wont want to give it up easily.

Any comments or predictions?
Hams
Admin
Admin

Location: London Supports West Ham United and Atletico Madrid

Postby Hams » Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:01 am

Well we all know now that Jack Wilshere wont take part as he is out with an injured foot for 6 weeks.

Koscielny faces a late fitness test so Vermaelen is on stand by.

Joel Robles will probably continue his FA Cup run in goal for Everton but its unlikely Phil Jagielka will be fit to feature.

Did you know Everton have won none of their last 19 away games against Arsenal in all competitions (W0 D4 L15),
but have drawn the last two visits.
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Pickleman1967 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:13 am

Interesting game in prospect, no B teams to be fielded today I fancy.

I think the FA Cup is Arsenal's best chance of silverware this season. There was a pundit on the radio last night saying a fourth place finish for Arsenal, and nothing else, would still represent a decent season. There is some truth in that, as Arsenal raised hopes and expectations with the acquisition of Ozil and a very strong start to the season. Gooners will feel deflated after recent set backs, but winning the league against some strong opposition this season was perhaps a tad unrealistic. One or two additions to the squad in the summer may be all that is required to make them a title winning side. However, this season surely the best chance they have of nailing up another "winners of" sign at the Emirates is the FA cup.

Everton certainly have the talent to frustrate the Gooners, and they have practically nothing else to play for this season. Martinez has shown that he is no 'one hit wonder' as a manager, and I suspect he will line up his team to contain Arsenal, grab a draw, and take the tie back to Merseyside.

Arsenal 1 Everton 1.
Pickleman1967
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby Hams » Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:24 pm

Teams

Arsenal:
Fabianski, Sagna, Vermaelen, Mertesacker, Gibbs, Arteta, Flamini, Ozil, Ox-Chamberlain, Cazorla, Sanogo.

Subs: Viviano, Jenkinson, Miyaichi, Gnabry, Rosicky, Giroud, Podolski.

[b]Everton:]/b]
Joel, Coleman, Stone, Distin, Baines, McCarthy, Barry, Barkley, Pienaar, Mirallas, Lukaku.

Subs: Hibbert, McGeady, Deulofeu, Naismith, Osman, Howard, Browning.
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby specnur » Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:55 pm

Hadn't touched the ball up until he slotted it in the net Ozil gets us off the mark! Let's hope he's gets in the game now and takes Everton out of this game early and puts less strain on our players for the upcoming games.
specnur
Legend
Legend

Postby Pickleman1967 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:21 pm

Great run by Barkley, runs the length of the pitch and puts in a glorious ball like that. More of that sort of stuff for England please Mr B!
Pickleman1967
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby Hams » Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:35 pm

HT

Arsenal 1-1 Everton

Ozil 7'

Lukaku 32'

That really was a quality first half of football from both sides.
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby specnur » Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:37 pm

Flipping hell ,how many times has OX started the break for Everton in this game ffs! Diabolical passing form the young 'un ,Wenger must be absolutely incensed on that bench watching that!

Arsenal still not looking good for me really ,the early goal cold have started a good run and a boost of confidence in this team that has not clicked for a few weeks now. Ozil got himself into the game a little more than his previous games ,but still far below the quality i expect from a players of his "world class" status! Good to see him track back on a couple of occasions looks like someone had a talk to the boy!

Cazorla all over the pitch again ,but he is the only attacking player putting such an effort.
specnur
Legend
Legend

Postby specnur » Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:12 pm

I think you saw a stark example of the difference defensively between England and Germany and why Bayern would have trouble in our league! Sanogo pretty much won every 50/50 ball against Bayern when he played against them and won absolutely nothing against everyone today!
specnur
Legend
Legend

Postby specnur » Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:22 pm

Another great comparison was the match up of the two left backs for ether team Gibbs played Baines off the park ,but i wonder if Hodgson will see it the same way?
specnur
Legend
Legend

Postby specnur » Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:35 pm

Game done and dusted Everton a beaten team Ozil gets his assist for the 4th goal!
I hope we don;t hear any claims of the return of the great one in regards to the German because he was far from it!
A lot better than previous games ,but it will be easy to get carried away with the stats on this one ! A goal ,an Assist and a load of passes in the opposition end that were going absolutely nowhere but back and forth to the same player who passed it to him in the first place usually on the touchline! But a win is a win and we need a boost in confidence of the player for the Bayern game!
Man of the match Gibbs/Cazorla Solid game throughout from them two never stopped running never looked tired. An energy that basically ran Everton into the ground in the final 20 minutes. Much needed result for us a loss would have been very bad for us.
specnur
Legend
Legend

Postby Pickleman1967 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:41 pm

Great cup game, big win for Arsenal. The margin of defeat was perhaps harsh on Everton who competed well, but couldn't break down the Arsenal defence that seemed to become more organised and effective in the second half.

I was wrong about Everton playing a containing game, they attacked and played fairly openly - perhaps too openly away to Arsenal. However, a pretty good 90 minutes of entertainment.
Pickleman1967
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby Hams » Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:45 pm

FT

Arsenal 4-1 Everton
1-0 Ozil 7'
1-1 Lukaku 32'
2-1 Arteta 68' PEN
3-1 Giroud 83'
4-1 Giroud 85'

The Gunners are through to the FA Cup semi finals.

Any more comments on Arsenals victory? Did the Toffees deserve to lose by such a score line?

I thought Ozil played much better today but that Cazorla was the man of the match.

It was a brilliant run by Ross Barkley that led to Everton's equaliser but he did miss couple of chances to score.
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Arthur V » Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:27 pm

I believe!!!!
Arthur V
Youth Academy
Youth Academy

Postby Pokerkings » Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:58 am

Wow. Have to give a big mention to Ozil. Was absolutely World Class yet again.

Anyone ever doubting his World Class ability should be referred to as an utter, utter, footballing spastic. That's. of course, if anyone is stupid enough to doubt him.

Anyway, If anyone can spectacularly fail at this stage in the F.A Cup it's Arsene Wenger as we've seen, time and time and time again. The routine collapse has already started happening in the league, hopefully now that the F.A Cup is ours to lose we wont see a repeat of the Birmingham City embarrassment.

Saying this, I'm quite hopeful. My son, who is 8, has never seen us lift a single little trophy. I pray for his sake we bring home this one, because, if we don't. there is no way we should be offering that French Politician a new contract. To do so would be the ultimate insult to the fans.
Pokerkings
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby Conner99 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:38 pm

it was in the end a comfortable win for us , but we had to wait until the last ten minutes to make the game safe . It was a nice goal by Ozil and a pin point pass from Cazora , I was so glad Arteta was available to take the penalty ...twice .!! That is how you take a penalty ..Giroud made an immediate impact on the game when he came on ..Sagna and Ozil proving the prefect passes for him to score the two goals that made sure we went through to the semi final ...
Conner99
Admin
Admin

Return to FA Cup