Chelsea v Tottenham

All the latest breaking news,important match topics and great discussion can be found right here!

Moderators: Steely Hill, Moderators

Chelsea v Tottenham

Postby Hams » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:03 am

Chelsea won their last game 3-1 away at Fulham to stay top of the league.
Apparently Mourninho didnt give a half time team talk which inspired his side to win the game.

Tottenham won their last game 1-0 against Cardiff to stay in contention for the top 4.
It wasn't the best performance and Jermaine Defoe has no left the club to go and play for Toronto.

Any comments or predictions?
Hams
Admin
Admin

Location: London Supports West Ham United and Atletico Madrid

Postby Pickleman1967 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:50 am

I always find it hard to back Spurs to lose, especially against hated rivals like Chelsea, which is probably why I'm going for an optimistic draw here.

This current Spurs side can be good at containing opposition away from home (Man City excepted), so they have a chance. Soldado scored in open play in our last game, so anything can happen...

Seriously, I expect Sherwood to play one up front for this game (Adeybayor), with a strong midfield to keep Chelsea at bay.
We certainly need to protect our fragile back four away to this team.

Chelsea are a team that tend to win by narrow margins, Spurs can frustrate them if they stay focussed. Lesser teams have done so this season, Spurs can do the same.

Thin case? Maybe, but I'm sticking with 1-1.
Pickleman1967
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby Hams » Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:06 pm

Teams

CHELSEA:
Cech; Ivanovic, Cahill, Terry, Azpilicueta; Matic, Lampard; Ramires, Hazard, Schurrle; Torres

Subs: Schwarzer, Kalas, Mikel, Oscar, Willian, Ba,Eto'o.

TOTTENHAM:
Lloris; Naughton, Dawson, Kaboul, Vertonghen; Bentaleb, Sandro; Walker, Lennon, Sigurdsson; Adebayor

Subs: Friedel, Fryers, Chadli, Paulinho, Townsend, Kane, Soldado.
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby specnur » Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:21 pm

Really surprised by Spurs line up for this game!
No Dembele i expected to see start and make both Matic and Lampard look like the lump they are out there!
Naughton getting the start also ,with Walker playing further up the pitch, strange.
specnur
Legend
Legend

Postby Hams » Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:25 pm

HT

Chelsea 0-0 Tottenham

There was a late change to Chelsea's starting line up with Eto'o replacing an injured Torres.

Mourinho's side were poor in the first half.

Surely Oscar or Willian need to come on?
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Hams » Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:35 pm

Oscar is on for Lampard.
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Pickleman1967 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:20 pm

Nonsense penalty, Nonsense sending off. I'm off to get heavily drunk#
Pickleman1967
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby specnur » Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:23 pm

Sherwood! What a knob head :lol:
deserves to lose with them tactics!
Tell you what though ,no way was that penalty ,Eto'o went down from nothing at all and a red card at that?????? Shocking ref!
specnur
Legend
Legend

Postby Hams » Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:28 pm

FT

Chelsea 4-0 Tottenham
1-0 Eto'o 56'
2-0 Hazard 60' PEN
3-0 Ba 88'
4-0 Ba 89'

Chelsea go 7 points clear at top of the table as Spurs just gift the victory to Mourinho's side.

Should it have been a penalty and also a red card for Kaboul?
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Pickleman1967 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:36 pm

Nonsense penalty, Nonsense sending off. I?m off to get heavily drunk#
Pickleman1967
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby Arthur V » Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:26 pm

Pickleman1967 wrote:Nonsense penalty, Nonsense sending off. I?m off to get heavily drunk#

I'm pretty sure that Spurs players were already drunk.

What a mess. :lol:
Arthur V
Youth Academy
Youth Academy

Postby Hams » Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:26 am

I also dont think that it was a penalty and it shouldnt have
been a red card either which changed the game towards Chelsea's favour.

Tim Sherwood had some harsh words for his players after the match which
I agree with basically saying that some of them lacked guts for the big occasion and were too friendly with each other.

I enjoyed Eto'o's goal celebration pretending he was an old man with a bad back
after recent reports that he had lied for years about his age and that he was really nearly 40.
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Arthur V » Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:06 pm

It wasn't a penalty.
Arthur V
Youth Academy
Youth Academy

Postby Pickleman1967 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:16 pm

Now that I?ve sobered up I think Spurs actually played pretty well up until Vertongan?s howler. 4-0 is harsh, but hey, only three points dropped . Bring on the Arsenal! :?
Pickleman1967
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby specnur » Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:49 pm

Pickleman1967 wrote:Now that I?ve sobered up I think Spurs actually played pretty well up until Vertongan?s howler. 4-0 is harsh, but hey, only three points dropped . Bring on the Arsenal! :?

I can't see Arsenal winning that match mate! Too many injuries as usual same old story and we got Bayern! If we beat Bayern mid week we may have a chance ! I 'll save the rest of my thoughts for the game thread!
specnur
Legend
Legend

Postby Pickleman1967 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:09 pm

specnur wrote:
Pickleman1967 wrote:Now that I?ve sobered up I think Spurs actually played pretty well up until Vertongan?s howler. 4-0 is harsh, but hey, only three points dropped . Bring on the Arsenal! :?

I can't see Arsenal winning that match mate! Too many injuries as usual same old story and we got Bayern! If we beat Bayern mid week we may have a chance ! I 'll save the rest of my thoughts for the game thread!

As much as I'd like to agree with you, we have Benfica on Thursday - a hard game for us, and one which we will be going b*lls out to win. The only chance of a trophy for us is the Europa Cup, in reality a win against Benfica will be more important than a win against Arsenal as it would take a miracle for us to get top four. I'll be happy with a draw against Arsenal, a win is a tall order. If I'm honest though, we have fallen short against all the top four clubs this season (a home draw with Chelsea was our best result), so I'm not getting my hopes up.

Sherwood has a point when he criticised some of our players for not showing enough fight in the big games, I hope he can rally them for the games in Europe, against Arsenal and Liverpool or our season is over.
Pickleman1967
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby specnur » Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:36 am

Pickleman1967 wrote:
specnur wrote:

As much as I'd like to agree with you, we have Benfica on Thursday - a hard game for us, and one which we will be going b*lls out to win. The only chance of a trophy for us is the Europa Cup, in reality a win against Benfica will be more important than a win against Arsenal as it would take a miracle for us to get top four. I'll be happy with a draw against Arsenal, a win is a tall order. If I'm honest though, we have fallen short against all the top four clubs this season (a home draw with Chelsea was our best result), so I'm not getting my hopes up.

Sherwood has a point when he criticised some of our players for not showing enough fight in the big games, I hope he can rally them for the games in Europe, against Arsenal and Liverpool or our season is over.

I don't think Sherwood is right at all in his criticism!
I mean it's a good way to make them try harder ,somewhat clich? and "old School". Bt to me it smacks of a man with no finesse in sports psychology. I think he made some errors in his selection that prevented any chemistry to continue in this game. IT seemed like he was more intent on baffling Mourinho than caring about the flow of what was built in his team in the game previous to this one! If it worked it would have been a master stroke and enhanced his reputation as a novice manager. But it didn't work and he needs to take the blame fro not running out what has been a usual line up. Sandro coming into this game fresh off of an long term injury ,even though he got through 2 games pretty well ,was a mistake. Especially when a lot of the experience rested on his shoulders . He needed Dembele in there steady the ship around him and take off a lot of the slack.

As for the eufa cup! If what i heard the other day is true and that the winner of the Eufa cup goes to champions league ,then in that scenario the Benefica match should take precedent over the Arsenal game .BUt if winning it doesn't have that benefit ,then i see Spurs trying to drag Arsenal back down to where they are . You look at our injuries and our form, you would have to give yourself a chance at pulling back some ground! You guys got players coming back into health when ours are going the other way!
specnur
Legend
Legend

Postby Hams » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:15 pm

Spurs have been successful in their appeal over the Red card to Kaboul and he will now be available to play against Arsenal.

If the referee hadn't sent him off or given that soft penalty maybe Tottenham might have been able to get back into this game?
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Conner99 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:39 pm

well...it was never a red card or a penalty , so Tottenham will still feel a bit cheated even though they now have Kaboul available again . They could possibly have got back into the game ..
Conner99
Admin
Admin

Postby Pickleman1967 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:11 pm

specnur wrote:
Pickleman1967 wrote:
specnur wrote:

I don't think Sherwood is right at all in his criticism!
I mean it's a good way to make them try harder ,somewhat clich? and "old School". Bt to me it smacks of a man with no finesse in sports psychology.

Fair point, he was clearly 'shooting from the hip' full of emotion when he made those comments. I don't agree with you that he made selection mistakes, as I've already said Spurs were very much in the game until Vertonghen made a very poor individual error.

A better criticism may have been better directed at our 'big players' in a big game - you expect the key men to stay 100% focussed for the entire game, that clearly didn't happen against Chelsea. Individual errors cost us dearly.

Professional sport requires strong minds as well as strong bodies, so I see where Sherwood was coming from. You will get a flavour of what effect his comments has had on the squad on Thursday. I hope they come out fighting, as I'd like to see a lively and contested North London derby on Sunday.
Pickleman1967
Young Pro
Young Pro

Next

Return to Barclays Premier League