Benfica v Tottenham - 20th March

Sevilla beat Benfica 4-2 on Pens in Turin to win this competition for the third time in the last 9 years.

Moderator: Moderators

Benfica v Tottenham - 20th March

Postby Hams » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:35 am

Benfica won the first leg 3-1 away at Tottenham.

Can Spurs win away in Portugal or is it all over for Tim Sherwood's side?
Last edited by Hams on Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
Hams
Admin
Admin

Location: London Supports West Ham United and Atletico Madrid

Postby Hams » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:09 pm

Teams

BENFICA:
Oblak, Maxi, Lusiao, Garay, Siqueira, Gomes, Amorim, Salvio, Sulejmani, Djuricic, Cardozo.

Subs: Lopes, Jardel, Almeida, Perez, Lima, Rodgrio, Markovic.

TOTTENHAM:
Friedel; Naughton, Fryers, Sandro, Rose; Lennon, Bentaleb, Chadli, Sigurdsson, Townsend; Soldado.

Subs: Archer, Ball, Ogilvie, Veljkovic, Eriksen, Winks, Kane
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Pickleman1967 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:17 pm

If there was any doubt after the first leg that this tie is over, the first 15 minutes or so of this game so make it clear that even if Spurs score three, this outfit will score as well. I'd just like to see a confident, attacking performance from Tottenham, that they can hopefully take into their league form.
Pickleman1967
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby Pickleman1967 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:48 pm

A goal conceded, despite some good play and possession by Tottenham, same old story. The game has gone flat as a result, so it is a bit more like an end of season dead rubber than a cup tie now.

The teenagers on the bench for Spurs suggest Tim Sherwood had no expectations himself coming into this game. A disappointing first half, I'd have like to have seen more fight and passion from the team. Going out with a whimper...
Pickleman1967
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby Pickleman1967 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:03 pm

Well, talk about a slow burner, this game was sending me to sleep until that cracking goal from Chadli. Spurs decided to make a game of it in the last 15 minutes, so at least the 3000 fans didn't go all that way for nothing.

I was looking for a positive performance, and I suppose I got that in the end, though in games like this you always ask why your team couldn't have played with the same gusto for the whole 90 minutes. Given the injuries and makeshift defence, a draw is not a bad result.

So, pride is all that is at stake for us now, and as I'm off to WHL on Sunday I hope to see some more of that last 15 minute stuff.
Pickleman1967
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby Hams » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:18 am

FT

Benfica 2-2 Tottenham (5-3)
1-0 Garay 34'
1-1 Chadli 78'
1-2 Chadli 79'
2-2 Lima 90' PEN

Well done to Spurs for making Benfica sweat in the last 10 mins!
Another goal would have taken the tie into extra time and who knows what might have happend?
If they hadn't played so poorly in the first Leg Tottenham would have won this.
I think Benfica might go all the way to the final but not sure if they are good enough to beat Juventus.
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby eaman » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:03 am

No if spurs hadn't played so badly in the first leg benfica wouldn't have switched off in this game. Benfica probably would have won this if they had to
eaman
Youth Academy
Youth Academy

Return to UEFA Europa League