West Ham v Hull

All the latest breaking news,important match topics and great discussion can be found right here!

Moderators: Steely Hill, Moderators

West Ham v Hull

Postby Conner99 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:09 pm

West Ham lost 2-0 to Man Utd at Upton Park and it was no more than they deserved really , a tame header from Andy Carroll being the closest they came to a goal.The Hammers had won their last 3 games at Upton Park so were hoping to add another 3 pts in their bid to ensure premier league football next season ..it was not to be though and they must now count the game against Hull as a must win game considering their next 3 are against Liverpool , Arsenal and Man City .

Hull gave manager Steve Bruce reason to smile as they gained 3 pts against West Brom and moved further away from the danger zone , it finished 2-0 and Steve Bruce said after the match about the safety barrier this season .."I always said that we needed 10 wins and then you get enough draws to see you home. If we can get another win to get to 36 points and a couple of draws to 38 it will keep you up this year."

Is Steve Bruce right ..will 38 pts be enough this season to ensure survival ..? Can West Ham afford to lose this match ..?
Conner99
Admin
Admin

Postby Hams » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:54 pm

With the very tough fixtures we have coming up we really need to win this one badly and a draw will not be good enough.

West Ham 2-1 Hull
Hams
Admin
Admin

Location: London Supports West Ham United and Atletico Madrid

Postby Pickleman1967 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:49 pm

A tough team to beat, Hull have had some big recent results.

So have West Ham, until the dreaded Manager of the Month award. They need to get back to where they were.

I think a draw is the most likely outcome - 1-1.
Pickleman1967

Postby Steely Hill » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:41 am

the game the world wants to see - United v City.

going straight from work always brings mixed feelings for me, however i do know tomorrow will be a write off whatever happens.

i'm expecting a very cagey and defensive performance from both sides who will view this as one to gain a point or three while knowing a defeat could prove costly.

you know what you're getting from both managers so the first goal could prove decisive. for that reason it is essential we start quickly and with intent rather than allowing 20 minutes or so to determine the pace of the game. i fancy Carroll to score here but i'm less confident we'll keep a clean sheet. i heard Long is out so that will be a bonus but i'll hesitantly predict a 2-1 victory for United.
Steely Hill
Admin
Admin

Postby Hams » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:44 pm

Teams

WEST HAM:
Adrian, McCartney, Nolan, Tomkins, Carroll, Taylor, Noble, Collins, Demel, Diame, Downing.

Subs: Jaaskelainen, Armero, Vaz Te, C.Cole, J.Cole, Johnson, Nocerino.

HULL CITY:
McGregor, Figueroa, Bruce, Chester, Davies, Meyler, Huddlestone, Livermore, Jelavic, Long, Elmohamady.

Subs: Harper, Rosenior, Koren, Fryatt, Sagbo, Aluko, Quinn.
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Hams » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:48 pm

FT

West Ham 2-1 Hull City
1-0 Noble 26' PEN
1-1 Jelavic 48'
2-1 Chester 54' OG

It sounds like it was a very lucky win for the Hammers but as we have had such bad referee decisions recently i don't care!
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Hams » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:13 am

Have just seen the highlights and i must say that West Ham were complete rubbish at Upton park tonight.

We were 1-0 ahead thanks to that lucky pen and Hull were a man down after losing their keeper but they were still better team

I'm not surprised to hear that there were plenty of boos at the end from Hammers fans after watching that shite.

How is it not possible that we cant dominate the opposition with 10 men and create no chances with no disrepect to the Tigers?
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Pickleman1967 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:55 am

Well, I've never been a 'boo boy', and trust me I've seen plenty of poor Spurs performances. I've never really understood the point of booing your own team - if you are that disgusted with your team's performance just vote with your feet like most fans do (I never walk early either, I think I'm a glutton for punishment). That makes the statement about how you feel, what does booing achieve other than lower the morale of your own players?

Anyway, this was never likely to be a classic, and so it proved. A draw may have been a fairer result given that Hull played well despite losing a man and getting a dodgy penalty awarded against them.

West Ham fans can cheer themselves up by looking at the table knowing that relegation is becoming a more distant threat now. Three points against a relegation rival? Big win.
Pickleman1967

Postby Steely Hill » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:27 am

Pickleman1967 wrote:Well, I've never been a 'boo boy', and trust me I've seen plenty of poor Spurs performances. I've never really understood the point of booing your own team - if you are that disgusted with your team's performance just vote with your feet like most fans do (I never walk early either, I think I'm a glutton for punishment). That makes the statement about how you feel, what does booing achieve other than lower the morale of your own players?

Anyway, this was never likely to be a classic, and so it proved. A draw may have been a fairer result given that Hull played well despite losing a man and getting a dodgy penalty awarded against them.

West Ham fans can cheer themselves up by looking at the table knowing that relegation is becoming a more distant threat now. Three points against a relegation rival? Big win.

the point of booing is to express your dissatisfaction. voting with your feet isn't really a viable option for a season ticket holder. what would be the point? the club have your money already so wont care whether you turn up or not.

trust me, the game last night was utterly dire. Bruce must be livid at not getting anything from that. we were bereft of any obvious signs of being a professional football club. crap passing, crap movement, no ambition in our play, no thought and no fight.

the fact there were boos in a game we actually won should highlight the dissatisfaction far more than it would if we had lost as it takes away the easy get out for Allardyce that it is a knee jerk reaction.

of course the win was vital but there is an insinuation that we should be grateful for Premier League football and that there is no other way of doing things than this way. the vast majority of tickets for last nights game were in excess of £50. we pay the fourth highest ticket prices in the division and yet play arguably the worst and most negative style of football in the division.

in terms of crowd numbers, they will remain high because season ticket holders will continue to renew as there is no way they'll give up their seat for the last season at the Boleyn. however i'll be very keen to see the renewal rate between our last season at the Boleyn and our first season at the Olympic Stadium. with Allardyce at the helm people will drift away as we're being mugged off with prices for the crap being served up.
Steely Hill
Admin
Admin

Postby redpelt » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:13 pm

I'm quite sure managers are aware of footballs unwritten rules that exist
between themselves and the much beleaguered and maligned fans.

It seems Big Sam has conveniently forgotten the most important one ,and
that is to simply never ever ever under no circumstances be critical of the
unshakeable devotion proffered unconditionally by the lifeblood of the club
week in and week out.

Any manager doing so has torn asunder any remnants of an affinity he ever
shared with the fans....and it renders a managers position at the club untenable.

Cheerio Sam
redpelt
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby Pickleman1967 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:51 pm

Steely Hill wrote:
the point of booing is to express your dissatisfaction. voting with your feet isn't really a viable option for a season ticket holder. what would be the point? the club have your money already so wont care whether you turn up or not.

No, what I mean is bugger off after an hour of play, an emptying stadium before the final whistle makes a clear statement to the manager and players about the performance. Getting abuse from your own fans has to be most morale and confidence sapping thing a player (or manager) has to endure, just seems to me there are better ways of getting the message across.

Every club has fans who will boo their own team/manager, I'm not questioning their right to do so, more so what they expect to achieve by it. I think it tends to reduce the likelihood of them playing well next game in front of their home crowd, because they will be anxious. I'm not bothered by other clubs booing their own players or managers, just don't see the point in it.
Pickleman1967

Postby Steely Hill » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:50 am

redpelt wrote:I'm quite sure managers are aware of footballs unwritten rules that exist
between themselves and the much beleaguered and maligned fans.

It seems Big Sam has conveniently forgotten the most important one ,and
that is to simply never ever ever under no circumstances be critical of the
unshakeable devotion proffered unconditionally by the lifeblood of the club
week in and week out.

Any manager doing so has torn asunder any remnants of an affinity he ever
shared with the fans....and it renders a managers position at the club untenable.

Cheerio Sam

Allardyce's arrogance ensures he will never actually allow himself to begin to understand the gripe that supporters have with him. he's expressed his disbelief that this should occur after a victory but, instead, this should allow him to reflect on why those people booed him (i was already in the pub by the time the final whistle went but wouldn't have booed anyway). Allardyce isn't the first manager ot have faced boos from our crowd after a win and it should serve as a realisation that we're not, and never will be, a win at all costs club.
Steely Hill
Admin
Admin

Postby Steely Hill » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:01 am

Pickleman1967 wrote:
Steely Hill wrote:

No, what I mean is bugger off after an hour of play, an emptying stadium before the final whistle makes a clear statement to the manager and players about the performance. Getting abuse from your own fans has to be most morale and confidence sapping thing a player (or manager) has to endure, just seems to me there are better ways of getting the message across.

Every club has fans who will boo their own team/manager, I'm not questioning their right to do so, more so what they expect to achieve by it. I think it tends to reduce the likelihood of them playing well next game in front of their home crowd, because they will be anxious. I'm not bothered by other clubs booing their own players or managers, just don't see the point in it.

if everyone left while the game was still in play you'd sap the morale out of the team DURING the game and, therefore, potentially be partly responsible for the lead slipping and dropping of the points. nobody wanted us to drop the three points and, while the match was in progress, the crowd was relatively supportive. waiting until the game was over not only afforded the team the maximum possible time to turn around the utterly abysmal excuse for football being churned out but it also ensured the disastisfaction was aired without having an impact on the actual game itself.

the likelihood of them playing well in the next game is kind of the point. we've been atrocious far more than we've been 'decent', let alone 'good'. it isn't even about individual performances but about the style of play we are enduring. it is a much perpetuated falsehood that we either play ugly or get relegated, as though there is only one possible way to play. we sit horrendously deep which accounts for our clean sheets and lack of goals and yet have still thrown away leads numerous times against opposition that are by no means superior.

when you're at home, playing Hull Tigers who have been reduced to ten men, i don't think it's a stretch to expect a bit more possession than them, a few chances created and generally dictating the play and tempo. instead, we conede a goal, allow them to dominate possession and create nothing. our winner was an aimless cross to nobody which was luckily diverted into his own goal by some clown in the Hull defence who was probably amazed the ball had got near him.

people that attend the games are not blinded by the results and grateful for the three points. everyone that was there knew this was a robbery - and not for the first time. it's a stagnated lack of ambition that leads to apathy which, to my mind, is even worse than people booing.
Steely Hill
Admin
Admin

Postby Pickleman1967 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:37 pm

Steely Hill wrote:if everyone left while the game was still in play you'd sap the morale out of the team DURING the game and, therefore, potentially be partly responsible for the lead slipping and dropping of the points. nobody wanted us to drop the three points and, while the match was in progress, the crowd was relatively supportive. waiting until the game was over not only afforded the team the maximum possible time to turn around the utterly abysmal excuse for football being churned out but it also ensured the disastisfaction was aired without having an impact on the actual game itself.

Yes, but Allardyce says the players were talking about the booing at half time http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26761549
I almost feel sorry for him in this interview, but he knows the score as a Premier manager, you are a hero one week a turnip the next.

I can read the passion in what you say, and to be honest I think I'd be f*cked off if my team were playing the sort of football West Ham play, but there again what did you expect with Allardyce? I think the best you can expect from him is a team that works hard, playing a defensive game that owes more to strength and endeavour than flair and creativity.

I suspect you will start next season with a new manager even if Allardyce keeps you up (and I'm sure he will) so cheer up pal. How about another spell with Redknapp? :wink:
Pickleman1967

Postby Steely Hill » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:17 am

Pickleman1967 wrote:
Steely Hill wrote:if everyone left while the game was still in play you'd sap the morale out of the team DURING the game and, therefore, potentially be partly responsible for the lead slipping and dropping of the points. nobody wanted us to drop the three points and, while the match was in progress, the crowd was relatively supportive. waiting until the game was over not only afforded the team the maximum possible time to turn around the utterly abysmal excuse for football being churned out but it also ensured the disastisfaction was aired without having an impact on the actual game itself.

Yes, but Allardyce says the players were talking about the booing at half time http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26761549
I almost feel sorry for him in this interview, but he knows the score as a Premier manager, you are a hero one week a turnip the next.

I can read the passion in what you say, and to be honest I think I'd be f*cked off if my team were playing the sort of football West Ham play, but there again what did you expect with Allardyce? I think the best you can expect from him is a team that works hard, playing a defensive game that owes more to strength and endeavour than flair and creativity.

I suspect you will start next season with a new manager even if Allardyce keeps you up (and I'm sure he will) so cheer up pal. How about another spell with Redknapp? :wink:

i was at the bar when the half time whistle went so i can't say i heard any boos. i do think that booing at half time was a bit pointless but it's important to note this issue has been brewing for quite some time.

contrary to what Allardyce and the media will have you believe, West Ham fans are not stupid. they know what they're seeing and will not be blinded by results alone. i'm sick of hearing allardyce and his team talk in absolutes about relegation being a certainty if we had the audacity to open up our play a bit. there is a time and a place for the football we've been playing. the draw against CHelsea being a prime example. however, at home against ten man Hull Tigers is a different kettle of fish.

Allardyce obviously wasn't the fans' appointment and so i don't think we should be obliged to just suck it up without voicing our frustrations. all supporters want is a team that sets up to win, rather than sets up not to lose.

as for Redknapp, he'll never darken our doors again. you can be sure of that.
Steely Hill
Admin
Admin

Return to Barclays Premier League