Liverpool v Sunderland

All the latest breaking news,important match topics and great discussion can be found right here!

Moderators: Steely Hill, Moderators

Liverpool v Sunderland

Postby Conner99 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:22 pm

Liverpool could afford to concede 3 goals as they beat Cardiff 6-3 after twice coming from behind ...this was mainly because of Luis Suarez ...yes him again ! a hatrick took his total this season to 28 in the Premier League , and the result kept Liverpool in 2nd place and still in with a chance of the title .

Sunderland lost 2-0 to Norwich and are in danger of losing their staus as a Premier League club if things don't improve soon , the one slim advantage they have is 2 games over their rivals at the bottom , but they have to start getting some points now , manager Gus Poyet said about the task ahead .."We have 10 games left and we are the only team that have that quantity. We need to get at least 36 or 37 points so win four from 10, but we need to play better than we did today."

Can Sunderland stop the Liverpool Express...?
Conner99
Admin
Admin

Postby redpelt » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:53 am

Cant wait for Wednesday ,I really missed not travelling to Wales to watch
them ,so I'm looking forward to our game against the Mackem's at our
place.

Hopefully we can see the defence keep a clean sheet ,and relieve some of
the pressure on our strikers that invariably arrives with having to continually
get us in front time after time.

Sunderland without the pace of Borini will be heavily reliant on Johnson getting
the crosses in to their big American Altidore up front.

I expect the reds to greet Anfield like an old friend and find the comfort that
comes from playing in front of the Kop once more.

Stop Johnson and be mindful conceding set pieces with Larsson on the pitch
and I believe it will be another important three points for the boys.
redpelt
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby Hams » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:49 pm

I just hope that Liverpool will win this one to keep Sundeland in the bottom 3 so that they cant gain any points on Hammers.

Liverpool 2-0 Sunderland.
Hams
Admin
Admin

Location: London Supports West Ham United and Atletico Madrid

Postby Gazza-LFC » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:16 pm

With our current form i can't see anything but a win,but our recent history playing against powerful lone strikers has me worried that we won't keep a clean sheet once again.

If Sunderland were to score then it is vital we are at least a few goals up,if they score first then it becomes one of them games where we struggle to get anything just like the Villa game.
Gazza-LFC
Legend
Legend

Postby Pickleman1967 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:33 pm

Yep, Sunderland not on a great run of form, they don't provide many 'shocks' away from home.

Liverpool 2 Sunderland 0
Pickleman1967
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby Hams » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:47 pm

Teams

LIVERPOOL:
Mignolet, Flanagan, Johnson, Skrtel, Agger, Gerrard, Allen, Henderson, Coutinho, Suarez, Sturridge.

Subs: Jones, Sterling, Aspas, Sakho, Lucas, Cissokho, Moses.

SUNDERLAND:
Mannone, Bardsley, Dossena, Brown, O'Shea, Vergini, Cattermole, Bridcutt, Giaccherini, Altidore, Wickham.

Subs: Ki, Larsson, Johnson, Colback, Roberge, Scocco, Ustari.
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Hams » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:07 am

FT

Liverpool 2-1 Sunderland
1-0 Gerrard 39'
2-0 Sturridge 48'
2-1 Ki 76'

Liverpool hold on in the end to go 2nd in table just 1 point behind leaders Chelsea.

Any comments on the Reds win?

Was it just me or did the referee seem to be very kind to Sunderland tonight with almost all decions going their way?
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Pickleman1967 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:19 am

Winning ugly is required if you want to stay in the title race, the result is everything at this stage of the season. It just isn't realistic to expect to win every game with 3 or 4 wonder goals, so the Liverpool fans will be happy I'm sure.

Good fight back by Sunderland, but when you are in the mire you tend not to get the breaks. They still have two games in hand over Swansea, and could overtake them if they win them, so the future is still in their own hands.

Spurs up next at Liverpool, oh Lord, I can't say I'm confident. Pass me a glass of the hard stuff!
Pickleman1967
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby specnur » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:35 am

Flipping hell , i thought i was watching Arsenal about 3 years ago with all decisions going against Liverpool ffs!
That ref had a shocker and a half!

It will never fail to annoy me , Sturridge's poses after he scores!
It's like he's taking the Cristiano Ronaldo route to self promotion. The only problem is is that he hasn't earned the right to hold his hands out to his side and look to the sky likes he blessed beyond comparison! Not saying Ronaldo has either really but that's besides the point. Not even Drogba did that and scored every meaningful goal in Chelsea recent cup winning glory!

Him and Suarez both were guilty of poor decision making in this one and the trend i saw in the last couple of matches pretty much continued dow that slippery slope of capitulation which is what almost happened at he end of this game.
Sunderland had no right being in it come whistles blast!

There were some interesting observation though for sure that i think Liverpool should take notice of and one of them is Henderson dip in form recently. I have been a big critic of the player since his signing for the club ,but for most of this season he has been a different player and deserved of his inclusion not only to this squad but also the England one. However i think he is tiring recently and needs a break for a few games especially for the easier fixtures.
specnur
Legend
Legend

Postby redpelt » Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:44 pm

Pickleman1967 wrote:Winning ugly is required if you want to stay in the title race, the result is everything at this stage of the season. It just isn't realistic to expect to win every game with 3 or 4 wonder goals, so the Liverpool fans will be happy I'm sure.

Good fight back by Sunderland, but when you are in the mire you tend not to get the breaks. They still have two games in hand over Swansea, and could overtake them if they win them, so the future is still in their own hands.

Spurs up next at Liverpool, oh Lord, I can't say I'm confident. Pass me a glass of the hard stuff!

It was definitely not pretty mate ,and the way we sat so deep and invited Sunderland
pressure was galling to say the least, as for attempting to explain Johnson's woeful
performance I'm happy to leave to the narcotic squad ,I suppose I could add that if a
person was trying to emulate his performance at Anfield last night they would first be
willing to have the the entirety of their cerebellum removed to be as completely bereft
of coordinated body movement deemed essential in the modern game.

The fans were brilliant last night ,and the belief is now tangible ,but we were let down
by a largely lethargic performance ,too many players off the pace and Suarez and
Sturridge seem to be limiting each others opportunities in front of goal with annoying
repetition...... Best player and most inventive player by far was Coutinho ,and yet he
was subsequently withdrawn.

Its three points and the importance of those is beyond value ,but if we play anywhere
near as wasteful and lethargic as yesterday against your boys we can kiss any hopes of
getting anywhere near no.19

Last word if you need a friend............ don't call Kevin.
redpelt
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby mrtz » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:46 pm

This is the type of game I wanted us to have and win. A nice little dog fight where our visiting opposition stay defiant, the referee gives them the benefit of the doubt, and they hassle and harry our best players - all in a midweek game with a lot of pressure.

These were the perfect 1-1's under Rafa or 0-1's under Dalglish. It was tough, but it's nice to see some sort of killer instinct from the squad that we haven't really seen since Fowler.
mrtz
Legend
Legend

Postby Gazza-LFC » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:22 pm

Gazza-LFC wrote:With our current form i can't see anything but a win,but our recent history playing against powerful lone strikers has me worried that we won't keep a clean sheet once again.

If Sunderland were to score then it is vital we are at least a few goals up,if they score first then it becomes one of them games where we struggle to get anything just like the Villa game.

And so it proved as it was one of those nervy nights,credit Sunderland for giving it a go but we thankfully held on strong.
Gazza-LFC
Legend
Legend

Return to Barclays Premier League