Are Celtic the worst champions in Europe?

This is where you can tell us all your general football views either domestic or international.

Moderators: Big Jono, Moderators

Are Celtic the worst champions in Europe?

Postby Hams » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:13 pm

I see that Celtic won the Scottish Premiership last night with several matches to spare.

Do they have anything to celebrate though and are they the worst champions in Europe?

The Hoops should have won a domestic treble but failed and were 2nd rate in the champions league.

The league in Scotland is one of the most least competitive and it could be another year until Rangers return.
Hams
Admin
Admin

Location: London Supports West Ham United and Atletico Madrid

Postby Steely Hill » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:05 am

their league is essentially training for their games in Europe.

pathetic
Steely Hill
Admin
Admin

Postby Pokerkings » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:26 pm

As funny as its been to watch Scottish football crumble, it's kind of an old joke now.

I think something really should be done about it if they don't want their football to fall into complete obscurity, and that's NOT them joining our league!

I'm not too sure of the answer though, but with Rangers falling out of the SPL it's just got worse and worse.
Pokerkings
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby Hams » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:55 pm

I did find it very amusing that Celtic fans invaded the pitch at Partick after they had beaten them 5-1 to win the title!!
Their players even started opening bottles of champagne in the dressing room like they had just won the champions league.

I also dont think the answer is for them to come and play in England but if Cardiff and Swansea can play in our league why not Celtic?
Hams
Admin
Admin

Location: London Supports West Ham United and Atletico Madrid

Postby Pickleman1967 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:00 pm

I'm not going to deny Scottish football is dire at the moment, but for those with short memories Celtic punched well above their weight in the CL last season. A win against Barcelona and Spartak Moscow, a draw with Benfica not too shabby.

What's wrong with invading the pitch when your team wins the league? I wouldn't begrudge a similar reaction from West Ham fans if they avoid relegation, or Gooners, if they manage to cling on to fourth place.

Lets not forget Celtic was the first British team to win the European Cup (as it was called then, when ironically it consisted entirely of champions unlike the current Champions League!).

Come on the Bhoys!

Pickleman1967
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby Seamus » Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:17 pm

I remember back in the days when I first moved up here Scottish Football was actually interesting!. The Old Firm had players like Hartson, Larrson, Petrov, Cannigia, Van Bronkhorst, De Boer. Basically decent footballers who could - and indeed did in some cases - fit into a top Premier League team. Since then there has been a slow decline in the standard and interest in the game north of the border.

It would be easy to point at Rangers exit from the top flight as the reason but I think it goes deeper than that. Practically all clubs in Scotland are running at a loss apart from Celtic and they are not willing to splash the cash unless desperately needed - Celtic are treading water as they know they don't have to improve for at least another 3 or 4 years when Rangers are in a position to challenge them.

What the game needs now is someone with the balls to pump money into an SPFL club like Dundee Utd or Motherwell. Supporters are fed up with going to games to see if their team will finish 2nd and get knocked out of Europe in the first round. All they need is a bit of cash, and it wouldn't need that much to challenge Celtic and it would force them to raise their game. I know that the Mileson and Romanov affiars would put investors off Scottish football but it a key moment to try and create a new 2nd force. While Rangers are out of the picture it would be the time to try and fill the gap. As I say it wouldn't require much money to challenge them - 5 or 6 decent players and we would have an interesting title challenge on our hands.
Seamus

Postby Pickleman1967 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:50 am

Spot on Seamus, I was actually hoping somebody would come in and invest a few million in Dundee, Aberdeen or Hearts/Hibs while Rangers are out of the picture. These cities have big enough populations to generate the support that would make the investment worthwhile. I remember the 'New Firm' of Aberdeen and Dundee United in the early '80s, unfortunately the challenge wasn't sustained.

I see investors coming into the English game, burning millions on bum sides like Blackburn, QPR, Cardiff etc., and I think they would get a lot more 'bang for their buck' in Scotland. A title challenge from Dundee United, Aberdeen, Hearts or Hibs would fill stadiums week in week out, I'm absolutely certain. It would also breathe some much needed new life into the Scottish game, which is in danger of dying on its arse.
Pickleman1967
Young Pro
Young Pro

Return to General Football