PL Player of the season - 2013/14

All the latest breaking news,important match topics and great discussion can be found right here!

Moderators: Steely Hill, Moderators

PL Player of the season 2013/14

Eden Hazard
11%
Luis Suarez
56%
Yaya Toure
33%
Aaron Ramsey
No votes
Daniel Sturridge
No votes
Other
No votes

Total votes : 9

PL Player of the season - 2013/14

Postby Hams » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:36 pm

Who do you think should be player of the season?

Here are the candidates

1.Eden Hazard - Chelsea
2.Luis Suarez - Liverpool
3.Yaya Toure - Man City
4.Aaron Ramsey - Arsenal.
5.Daniel Sturridge - Liverpool

If you disagree with my poll selection vote other.
Hams
Admin
Admin

Location: London Supports West Ham United and Atletico Madrid

Postby Hams » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:16 pm

I see that we have had a couple of votes for Suarez and 1 each for Hazard and Yaya Toure.
Any comments on who you think should be player of the season?
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Pickleman1967 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:35 pm

Suarez for me, Steely's "flat track bully" has scored goals, provided assists, and worked like a Trojan for his team. I'm not so sure the 'Pool would be in their current lofty position without him.
Pickleman1967
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby Hams » Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:40 pm

Still no votes yet for Ramsey who was brilliant for Arsenal in first half of season before he got injured or for Sturridge who is top English scorer at the moment.
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Tipster » Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:44 pm

I've gone for Yaya Toure.

City have been playing a 442 all season which means the 2 central midfielders have to be good as they would tend to come across teams who play with 3 in the centre of midfield.

Excellent contribution with the goals.

Suarez second best.
Tipster
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby specnur » Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:46 am

Same here ! I think Toure edges Suarez because he dominates his position more than anyone else in the league.
When he is asked and Aguero or the others fail he steps up and bails his team out .
specnur
Legend
Legend

Postby Steely Hill » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:50 pm

unfortunately i have to agree with specnur.

Toure has been immense all season. it takes a special player to get that Man City team ticking and he does just that, excelling in every area of the pitch with a huge variety of skillsets. my kind of football player, very much the African Lothar Matthaus, if i may propel him to such lofty heights. ;-)

i noted how great he was for Barcelona and still don't get why they got shot of him.
Steely Hill
Admin
Admin

Postby Steely Hill » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:11 pm

Pickleman1967 wrote:Steely's "flat track bully"

:lol:

i forgot to keep tabs on the goofy bottom feeder. has he upped his record against anyone of relevance at all? :wink:
Steely Hill
Admin
Admin

Postby redpelt » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:19 pm

Suarez without question ,even when he's quiet he turns this beautiful game
completely on its head with breath stilling performances......Toure is a fine
player who orchestrates games with an astute understanding of the game
but its universally accepted that some of the goals Suarez has graced us
with this season have been simply extraordinary in so much as more than
a generous handful have defied the laws of physics.
redpelt
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby mrtz » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:53 pm

Steely Hill wrote:

i forgot to keep tabs on the goofy bottom feeder. has he upped his record against anyone of relevance at all? :wink:

Do you count United and Spurs? As well as assists vs. Arsenal?

Whenever he has a big game, we have crushed opponents. Even when he hasn't scored, he has provided goals.
mrtz
Legend
Legend

Postby Steely Hill » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:56 pm

mrtz wrote:
Steely Hill wrote:

Do you count United and Spurs? As well as assists vs. Arsenal?

Whenever he has a big game, we have crushed opponents. Even when he hasn't scored, he has provided goals.

i think we can safely rule those two out based on their showings this season but i can understand why you'd want to bump his stats up ;-)

i don't think i was counting assists either but, again, you can chuck that in if you want to pad it all out. ;-)

i'll dig up the relevant thread with the updated stats...
Steely Hill
Admin
Admin

Postby Gazza-LFC » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:12 pm

Steely Hill wrote:unfortunately i have to agree with specnur.

Toure has been immense all season. it takes a special player to get that Man City team ticking and he does just that, excelling in every area of the pitch with a huge variety of skillsets. my kind of football player, very much the African Lothar Matthaus, if i may propel him to such lofty heights. ;-)

i noted how great he was for Barcelona and still don't get why they got shot of him.

Because they realised Busquets was better in that position,as we've seen since he came to City he is not a holding midfielder and he was never going to get in the team before Xavi or Iniesta so they got rid for a huge amount and don't need him,it made sense for everyone.

My player would be Suarez..no surprises there lol
Gazza-LFC
Legend
Legend

Postby specnur » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:33 pm

Gazza-LFC wrote:
Steely Hill wrote:unfortunately i have to agree with specnur.

Because they realised Busquets was better in that position,as we've seen since he came to City he is not a holding midfielder and he was never going to get in the team before Xavi or Iniesta so they got rid for a huge amount and don't need him,it made sense for everyone.

My player would be Suarez..no surprises there lol

Garbage !

They got rid of him because he was an alpha Male in every sense ,and a man who would not take second class citizenship behind anyone at that club. His stature as the most manly of men and playing with the skill he has doomed him at that club.
That's why they got rid of Eto'o and Ronaldinho and why people who took a back seat like Keita ,Song and Abidal stayed so long.
Make no mistake about that! When Toure came to the premier league he left himself open to be an easy target for the British media by demanding one of the two highest salaries in football history and they haven;t found a reason to jump all over him yet. That tells you how massive that man has been.
specnur
Legend
Legend

Postby Gazza-LFC » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:07 pm

You keep telling yourself that Specs,power to the people and all that crap..whatever mate.

Plain and simple he is not a holding midfielder and Busquets is,Xavi and Iniesta are light years better than Toure so he was surplus to requirements..

It really is that simple.

To stay on topic..

Suarez for the best player...and Toure in second but way off.
Gazza-LFC
Legend
Legend

Postby specnur » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:39 am

Gazza-LFC wrote::lol:

You keep telling yourself that Specs,power to the people and all that crap..whatever mate.

Plain and simple he is not a holding midfielder and Busquets is,Xavi and Iniesta are light years better than Toure so he was surplus to requirements..

To stay on topic..

And Busquets is abetter holding mid than Toure?
Is that hat you are saying ?
based on his ability to play that role in La liga?
Have you even watched that player in games against English clubs?

I suggest you watch Toure against the same opposition and judge based on that! It's not even close you swap players today and Busquets would find himself in much the same position as Ozil is right now. It would take him about two months to get found out he can't handle it in our league and he will be on the bench unless the team was desperate due to injury to others.

One of the most overrated players in the last 10 years ,benefitting solely from his association with a very good supporting cast like Lampard.
specnur
Legend
Legend

Postby Simply » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:31 am

specnur wrote:
Gazza-LFC wrote::lol:

To stay on topic..

And Busquets is abetter holding mid than Toure?
Is that hat you are saying ?
based on his ability to play that role in La liga?
Have you even watched that player in games against English clubs?

... so you tell me you remember how both of them Busquets and Toure played against english clubs as a Barcelona player?
Simply
Youth Academy
Youth Academy

Postby redpelt » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:43 am

Sergio Busquets may be a midfielder who has a particular proclivity for stamping
on opponents heads, but if we separate the animal from the player then it is
irrefutable that he is the metronome that keeps Barcelona's play compact and
precise ,so to imply without a viable example that he would struggle in the Premier
league is completely ludicrous.
redpelt
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby specnur » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:12 pm

redpelt wrote:Sergio Busquets may be a midfielder who has a particular proclivity for stamping
precise ,so to imply without a viable example that he would struggle in the Premier

And it is Ludicrous to assume he would do what he does in the relatively Butlins like atmosphere that is La liga in the premiership.
Based on what i have seen of that player in particular against English opposition he has been incredible ordinary !
If he is a holding mid ,then he has to have made less tackles than any holding mid have ever seen in those matches.
That player bosses nothing in those game and i would say he is greatly exposed every time he play against one of our teams.

The next time he plays an English club we'll see what i am talking about.
Or you can dig up a plethora of games form the past ,with the exception of injury plagued Arsenal teams that is! :D
specnur
Legend
Legend

Postby redpelt » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:27 pm

specnur wrote:
redpelt wrote:Sergio Busquets may be a midfielder who has a particular proclivity for stamping

And it is Ludicrous to assume he would do what he does in the relatively Butlins like atmosphere that is La liga in the premiership.
Based on what i have seen of that player in particular against English opposition he has been incredible ordinary !
If he is a holding mid ,then he has to have made less tackles than any holding mid have ever seen in those matches.
That player bosses nothing in those game and i would say he is greatly exposed every time he play against one of our teams.

The next time he plays an English club we'll see what i am talking about.
Or you can dig up a plethora of games form the past ,with the exception of injury plagued Arsenal teams that is! :D

One of us are evidently watching a different player, as it seems your seeing a DM
at the very top of his game labouring in a Barcelona team ....Whereas the Busquets
I have seen in the very same team you malign ,and against 'English opposition' has
flourished when the pace has been quickened by the said 'English opposition' in a
futile attempt to hurry Barcelona's overall glue footed possession..... It mattered not
a jot ,because against United in both the 2009 and 2011 final he was imperious ,and
dictated not only the speed of the game ,but the extent of possession Barcelona
afforded United.....I mean there really is no room to manoeuvre this debate to suit
your purpose ,and a wise man would grab the opportunity to be generous in defeat
and slink away.

In conclusion ,if you cant see how imperative a player with the obvious qualities of
Busquets is to that Barcelona team that won both finals ,then I really don't hold out
much hope for you lad......It seems you may also be labouring under the delusion that
in matters purely pertaining to football it is only your opinion that is relevant...I digress
you obviously see your thoughts as being the only ones pertinent, and that would go
some way to explaining why you're relentless even in all consuming defeat.I fervently
hope you possess the intelligence to glean that this will be my last retort on the matter.

:arrow: :arrow: :idea:
redpelt
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby specnur » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:48 pm

[quote="redpelt"]

One of us are evidently watching a different player, as it seems your seeing a DM
at the very top of his game labouring in a Barcelona team ....Whereas the Busquets
I have seen in the very same team you malign ,and against 'English opposition' has
flourished when the pace has been quickened by the said 'English opposition' in a
futile attempt to hurry Barcelona's overall glue footed possession..... It mattered not
a jot ,because against United in both the 2009 and 2011 final he was imperious ,and
dictated not only the speed of the game ,but the extent of possession Barcelona
afforded United.....I mean there really is no room to manoeuvre this debate to suit
your purpose ,and a wise man would grab the opportunity to be generous in defeat
and slink away.

In conclusion ,if you cant see how imperative a player with the obvious qualities of
Busquets is to that Barcelona team that won both finals ,then I really don't hold out
much hope for you lad......It seems you may also be labouring under the delusion that
in matters purely pertaining to football it is only your opinion that is relevant...I digress
you obviously see your thoughts as being the only ones pertinent, and that would go
some way to explaining why you're relentless even in all consuming defeat.I fervently
hope you possess the intelligence to glean that this will be my last retort on the matter.

You are using the two manchester united games as a measuring stick ,when i have said for as long as i have been a member eyer that Man u are habitual bottlers against big named continental sides. If you want to measure him then use the untold games against Chelsea and the two games against Arsenal when they were not depleted by injury.

I suggest slinking away be in your best interest on this subject pal ,you get no wins here!
:wink:
specnur
Legend
Legend

Return to Barclays Premier League