Oi, Barca, Leave those kids alone

This is where you can tell us all your general football views either domestic or international.

Moderators: Big Jono, Moderators

Oi, Barca, Leave those kids alone

Postby Steely Hill » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:10 pm

BBC Sport *@BBCSport
Barcelona given transfer ban for next two transfer windows, for breaching rules re: "the international transfer of minors" FIFA says.

more details can be found all over the web.

it's pretty well known that this club have indulged in shady practices over the years and greased many palms so i am staggered that they have actually been taken to task over something.

well done FIFA and i just pray this isn't over turned on appeal or something like that. hopefully the message will go out that this isn't tolerated, regardless of what club is involved.
Steely Hill
Admin
Admin

Postby Hams » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:47 pm

I was just about to start a topic about this but you beat me to it! :wink:

I need to read more to find out exactly what is going on but this transfer ban sounds serious.

For a start this could leave them without a decent keeper with Victor Valdes leaving in the summer.
Hams
Admin
Admin

Location: London Supports West Ham United and Atletico Madrid

Postby Simply » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:43 pm

Ter Stegen was already on his way to Barcelona.. this must be a shock for him
Simply
Youth Academy
Youth Academy

Postby Hams » Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:42 pm

Barca fans protest against transfer ban which club are to appeal against.

Do they think they are above the law? - Putting up a banner against FIFA isnt going to help.

It said "La Masia - Don't touch it"

Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Steely Hill » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:15 am

fans protest?

a banner that size can only be club endorsed. and yes, they do think they're above the law.
Steely Hill
Admin
Admin

Postby specnur » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:04 am

They got some nerve protesting the very organization that greased their path to the European titles on numerous occasions.

I don't think tis ban would hurt them much at all ,n fact it may help them galvanize the team more as a unit knowing they have to work with what they just fir a year! Pathetic punishment.
specnur
Legend
Legend

Re: Oi, Barca, Leave those kids alone

Postby eaman » Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:28 pm

Barca aren't the only ones to have done this. Guillem balague said arsenal have been at it themselves over the years
eaman
Youth Academy
Youth Academy

Postby Steely Hill » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:04 am

Guilleme Balague is a flag waving rent-a-quote. i wouldn't believe a word that comes out of his mouth usually but i have discussed the antics of Arsenal on this very forum.

anyway, it is a very weak defence and, essentially, an admittance of guilt.
Steely Hill
Admin
Admin

Re:

Postby Gazza-LFC » Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:51 pm

specnur wrote:They got some nerve protesting the very organization that greased their path to the European titles on numerous occasions.

I don't think tis ban would hurt them much at all ,n fact it may help them galvanize the team more as a unit knowing they have to work with what they just fir a year! Pathetic punishment.

I agree with this as i too think it will galvanize them and we know they have fantastic talent waiting to come through,the younger players coming through to play alongside an already world class squad won't hurt them at all.

The only weak point would be the goalkeeper as Hams said.
Gazza-LFC
Legend
Legend

Postby Bren10 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:30 pm

This whole episode just proves how arrogant our board is. The issue is nothing to do with La Masia and the way they've used it is a disgrace.
Unfortunately the rules were broken and punishment is justified, not sure on the severity but rules are rules. The problem with FIFA is they have known since November and waited until now to give out the punishment, makes me wonder about motive from their part. Especially given their own position on scandals but im merely speculating.
Gutted that this has pretty much ended the clubs hopes of getting back to the top anytime soon and with the loss of Valdes, Puyol and possibly Tata im not sure what the future holds. As good as our academy is there isn't any centre backs or keepers coming through and that's what we are desperate for.

As for other teams doing it there is no doubt, I think the prem is safe as the laws are different but the top boys on the continent may be a little squeamish.
Funny Wenger tried to put the boot in given his track record with kids, Cesc and Merida were both tapped up before their 16th with the latter being in the country beforehand.
Bren10

Postby specnur » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:17 pm

Wenger did nothing illegal so keep his name out of it! :D
specnur
Legend
Legend

Postby Bren10 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:21 pm

specnur wrote:Wenger did nothing illegal so keep his name out of it! :D

Of course not hes a saint. :wink:
Bren10

Postby ToffeeBlue » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:48 am

Only slightly less surprising news than Moyes being sacked is the news that Barca's ban has been suspended pending appeal! Seriously what is the point of these punishment if they are just going to . themselves when big clubs flex their legal muscle
ToffeeBlue
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby Hams » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:58 pm

ToffeeBlue wrote:Only slightly less surprising news than Moyes being sacked is the news that Barca's ban has been suspended pending appeal! Seriously what is the point of these punishment if they are just going to . themselves when big clubs flex their legal muscle

I agree with you Toffee,its a complete joke that this transfer ban has now been lifted just because Barcelona have decided to appeal against it.
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Steely Hill » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:17 pm

Hams wrote:
ToffeeBlue wrote:Only slightly less surprising news than Moyes being sacked is the news that Barca's ban has been suspended pending appeal! Seriously what is the point of these punishment if they are just going to . themselves when big clubs flex their legal muscle

I agree with you Toffee,its a complete joke that this transfer ban has now been lifted just because Barcelona have decided to appeal against it.

FIFA didn't really have a choice, there is a process to follow.
Steely Hill
Admin
Admin

Postby Bren10 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:33 pm

They have no choice really as its procedure. If they were to appeal whilst the ban stood, lost the transfer window but won the appeal, how do you compensate for that?
Also FIFA have been a little slow to administer the punishment meaning this situation was inevitable. If they came out in November when the punishment was decided and handed it out we would be closer to a resolution now.
Bren10

Postby Hams » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:46 am

FIFA have rejected Barcelona's appeal over their transfer ban and they will now NOT be allowed to sign any new players for the next 2 windows.

Lets hope that this is now an end to it!

Its a joke how many times clubs are allowed to appeal when they have been guilty of some wrong doing.
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Steely Hill » Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:08 pm

it's slightly annoying they were able to get Suarez in before then but FIFA's hands were obviously tied. glad to see the club being rightfully punished though.

if only the Spanish authorities had as much backbone.
Steely Hill
Admin
Admin

Postby Hams » Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:59 pm

Incredible!
Barcelona have just announced that they are now going to appeal about their transfer ban to the Court of Arbitration for sport!
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Steely Hill » Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:35 pm

Hams wrote:Incredible!
Barcelona have just announced that they are now going to appeal about their transfer ban to the Court of Arbitration for sport!

of course they are.

it'll also probably end up being only the January window they get banned from.
Steely Hill
Admin
Admin

Return to General Football