West Ham v Liverpool

All the latest breaking news,important match topics and great discussion can be found right here!

Moderators: Steely Hill, Moderators

West Ham v Liverpool

Postby Conner99 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:25 pm

West Ham just about guaranteed their place in the Premier League next season after a 2-1 win over Derland at the Stadium of Light . It remains to be seen whether the home fans will support their team against Liverpool or boo them if they perform as they did against Hull last week , manager Sam Allardyce reckoned it will be all smiles again though .."the West Ham fans will have forgotten about the Hull game last week and will go back down the motorway happy tonight." "This sets us up perfectly for Sunday and what I hope will be a cracker at Upton Park where we face the in-form team in the league in Liverpool."

Liverpool returned to the top of the table for the first time since Boxing Day after a 4-0 rout of Tottenham at Anfield , manager Brendan Rodgers said his team were ready to fight for the title and the players are certainly showing that with the goals tally going up and up ...only Man City have a better goal difference ..it could prove vital come the end of the season .
Conner99
Admin
Admin

Postby Hams » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:54 am

I'm going to predict that Stewart Downing will fire in a cross that Andy Carroll will
head in for the winner to prove that the Reds were very wrong to sell both of them to the Hammers.

West Ham 1-0 Liverpool
Hams
Admin
Admin

Location: London Supports West Ham United and Atletico Madrid

Postby Pickleman1967 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:53 pm

West Ham got a crucial win against Sunderland to (barring miracles) secure their place in the Premier League. I'm sure there will not be any booing against the team on Sunday as they are up against a team who may end up champions. Nothing to play for, safe from relegation, there is no pressure.

Liverpool have been a bit dodgy away from home this season, but recent away form reads like this:

Cardiff 3-6 Liverpool

Man Utd 0-3 Liverpool

Southampton 0-3 Liverpool

Won't be easy, but I'll say West Ham 0 Liverpool 2.
Pickleman1967
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby Hams » Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:56 pm

Did you know that Liverpool have won seven and lost just one of the last 10 Premier League games against West Ham.

Also Glen Johnson has scored in three of his last five Barclays Premier League games against former club West Ham, including the last two trips to the Boleyn Ground.

Any more comments or predictions? Do the above stats point to another Reds win at Upton Park and will Johnson score against the Hammers again?!
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Hams » Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:37 pm

Teams

West Ham:
Adrian, Demel, Reid, Tomkins, Armero, Noble, Taylor, Downing, Diame, Nolan, Carroll

Subs: Jaaskelainen, Jarvis, C.Cole, J.Cole, Potts, Johnson, Nocerino

Liverpool:
Mignolet, Johnson, Skrtel, Sakho, Flanagan, Gerrard, Henderson, Coutinho, Sterling, Suarez, Sturridge

Subs: Jones, Toure, Cissokho, Lucas, Moses, Allen, Aspas.
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Hams » Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:53 pm

HT

West Ham 1-1 Liverpool

Gerrard 44' PEN

Demel 45'

It shouldnt have been a goal for West Ham as Mignolet was fouled by Carroll but we deserved to go in level at break on balance of play.
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Hams » Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:00 pm

FT

West Ham 1-2 Liverpool
0-1 Gerrard 44' PEN
1-1 Demel 45'
1-2 Gerrard 71' PEN

Liverpool go back to the top of the table with their 9th win in a row.

It was a DISGRACEFUL decision though by the referee to give them a 2nd penalty as Jon Flanagan certainly dived.

The referee Anthony Taylor had a night mare game as had early over ruled the linesman and allowed West Ham to score.

I guess because of that early error he was going to even things up for the Reds ASAP but 2 wrongs do not make a right!
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Pickleman1967 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:05 pm

Meh, Liverpool were perhaps a tad lucky, but once a pen has been awarded you just have to get on with it. West Ham offered very little in an attacking sense so I wouldn't say they were robbed. They did put up
a great defense to deny Liverpool many clear chances, but with very little goal threat, the result was predictable.

Liverpool had to win today so mission accomplished. The games against Chelsea
a and Man City are the games that will decide the title.
Pickleman1967
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby redpelt » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:09 pm

Every team that has pretensions to win the title has a performance like
that in their armoury just sitting waiting to be used ,well today we used
it ,today wasn't pretty ,it wasn't fluent ,and it certainly wasn't anything
like the fine football we have been playing of late, but it was effective
and we held our own against one (if not the ) most aggressive teams in
the Premiership.

Any fan who's teams are challenging for the title will tell you the same thing
these are the performances they long to see from their team ,performances
were every player brings their respective war face ,and gets stuck in for a
common cause ....It was a game were either side offered no quarter and the
tackles flying in were wholehearted ,and Stewart Downing actually beat his
man ,such bizarre quirks of nature are usually reserved for the 'Twilight Zone'
Carroll clearly had a point to prove ,and even a trivial nuance like Mignolet
claiming the ball would not prove a barrier to his eagerness to play Basketball
with our goalkeepers head for the Demel goal.

I actually thought the second was a definite penalty ,but he did prevent Flanagan's
movement towards goal.

Pictorial evidence provided below

5 games to go and the masters of our own destiny ......I cant wait for next week ,the noise
and excitable nervous energy from Anfield is going to knock out the National grid.
:wink:
redpelt
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby OWEN_ENG » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:26 pm

shakey performance but that's how it goes against the hammers who are tough customers for sure!

Happy with the result...tho Sakho/Toure make for extremely nervous watching when they defend.

Henderson...sigh...enough said.

Onto the next win...
OWEN_ENG
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby Steely Hill » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:00 am

wasn't a terrible performance and at least they went away from there knowing they were in a game. consdiering the demolition job they've done on otehr teams i was relatively content to fall to the one contentious penalty.

the picture above tells a very false story and only the actual video will show the incident in its true light.

i'd like to impose a new rule in football - as soon as the half time whistle goes, the referee should have zero contact with any player or staff from either club. how often do we see arguable decisions 'evened out' in the same game? far too frequently to be a coincidence, that is for sure.

meanwhile, that is 12 penalties for Liverpool so far this season. a mind bogglingly high amount - 9 of them wee awarded away from home. far be it from me to suggest an abundance of assistance from the match officials. ;-)

this particular ref seemed ot have his whistle in his mouth as soon as the ball went near Carroll. only once he realised Carroll had lost possession did he remove the whistle. if Carroll had the audacity to retain possession the whistle was blown. meanwhile Skrtel was allowed to do his usual grappling antics like the stone age neanderthal that he is.
Steely Hill
Admin
Admin

Postby Hams » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:24 pm

Liverpool seem to have been awarded more penalties than anybody else this season, Steven Gerrard has scored 11 of them!
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby redpelt » Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:04 pm

I was surprised with Gerrard's comments after the game,as with the game won
we could have left without compromising our dignity and kept the comments on
West Hams alleged spoiling tactics to ourselves..... For those who aren't aware
of what Gerrard said.

"It was a very tricky game today. Coming against a Sam Allardyce team, we knew
what to expect," he told LFC TV.

"I think we got a bit more than what we expected - a hot dressing room, a dry
pitch, the bus had to park a mile away. I think they tried everything today to
upset us.

Rodgers showed real class in the humility he showed when quizzed on Sky Sports
after the game about the Carroll incident ,I would have expected the Captain of
our team to do likewise.

Incidentally speaking to a couple of the lads who made the trip to the Boleyn and
were sitting amongst Hammers fans ,they said the Hammers fans were absolutely
Top boys ,even went for a bevy with a few after the game apparently a few of
their boys were saying if they had set up with the same menace and tenacity they
would have pi*sed all over United.....Or words to that effect.....Apparently Antony
Taylor said his car had its windows smashed and was then torched just before ripping
up his Liverpool air freshener.......Don't know how true it is :wink:
redpelt
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby Steely Hill » Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:24 pm

redpelt wrote:I was surprised with Gerrard's comments after the game,as with the game won
we could have left without compromising our dignity and kept the comments on
West Hams alleged spoiling tactics to ourselves..... For those who aren't aware
of what Gerrard said.

"It was a very tricky game today. Coming against a Sam Allardyce team, we knew
what to expect," he told LFC TV.

"I think we got a bit more than what we expected - a hot dressing room, a dry
pitch, the bus had to park a mile away. I think they tried everything today to
upset us.

Rodgers showed real class in the humility he showed when quizzed on Sky Sports
after the game about the Carroll incident ,I would have expected the Captain of
our team to do likewise.

Incidentally speaking to a couple of the lads who made the trip to the Boleyn and
were sitting amongst Hammers fans ,they said the Hammers fans were absolutely
Top boys ,even went for a bevy with a few after the game apparently a few of
their boys were saying if they had set up with the same menace and tenacity they
would have pi*sed all over United.....Or words to that effect.....Apparently Antony
Taylor said his car had its windows smashed and was then torched just before ripping
up his Liverpool air freshener.......Don't know how true it is :wink:

a couple of people with dubious accents got a slap by all accounts in various sections of our ground. the away end also seemed to be far more full than usual. i don't think i could even see the aisles of the stand as it was so densely populated. of course, it must have been an admin error by WHU in selling more tickets than there were seats. especially in this month of all months. :wink:

Gerrard has long been a classless individual so his comments mean nothing to me. a player i used to respect but that has long vanished, probably even before his brave self-defence of the local record spinner's vicious assault on his ears.

i can't agree that Rodgers showed class. he did show a great sense of humour in keeping a straight face on the second penalty though. almost Trigger-esque in its deadpan delivery. Bravo Brendan.

i'm more shocked the ref bothered to take his car and didn't just return on the bus like the rest of his team mates. probably didn't fancy the 1 mile trip over to this mystery bus park that Gerrard speaks of.
Steely Hill
Admin
Admin

Postby Half Way House » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:03 pm

Had a good day out at the Boleyn Ground on Sunday sitting with my old mates amongst the scowling "appy ammers", gosh they are not happy with Big Sam?
Thought we were well worth our win & that both penalties were justified, the guys by me winced when the incidents happend & on looking at the replays they both appear justified. Then again we should have scored a lot more & cannot afford to be that wasteful in the comming games. Mind you West Ham did try to "out muscle" us & nearly succeeded but we hung in & got a result. A dirty stinking result & at this stage of the season that is all that matters
Thought big Andy had a good game playing "box to box" (sorry we let him go) & so did Nolan. The trouble is West Ham have a few players who can play decent football, so why Sam has them playing like a poor copy of Bolton is beyond me.
Half Way House
Grass Roots
Grass Roots

Re:

Postby redpelt » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:32 pm

Steely Hill wrote:a couple of people with dubious accents got a slap by all accounts in various sections of our ground. the away end also seemed to be far more full than usual. i don't think i could even see the aisles of the stand as it was so densely populated. of course, it must have been an admin error by WHU in selling more tickets than there were seats. especially in this month of all months. :wink:

Gerrard has long been a classless individual so his comments mean nothing to me. a player i used to respect but that has long vanished, probably even before his brave self-defence of the local record spinner's vicious assault on his ears.

i can't agree that Rodgers showed class. he did show a great sense of humour in keeping a straight face on the second penalty though. almost Trigger-esque in its deadpan delivery. Bravo Brendan.

i'm more shocked the ref bothered to take his car and didn't just return on the bus like the rest of his team mates. probably didn't fancy the 1 mile trip over to this mystery bus park that Gerrard speaks of.

:D

I think in regards to Gerrard's character outside of the game,you're preaching
to the already converted mate ,but as a player he must have had to carry
those gonads by wheelbarrow up to that penalty spot,so for that alone I'm
going to forgive him his rather shallow rant against the alleged fences thrown
up in an attempt to stifle our glorious gait. :wink:

I think Rodgers handles the media like a kitten teasing a ball of yarn ,he comes
across as a very intuitive man and yet always endeavours to retain that one step
away from letting the press close enough to touch...

It must infuriate them ,knowing that unlike Dalglish he is relatively bulletproof in
respect to being taunted and goaded into a provocative response.

I like him mate,he's the genuine article ,and in every sound bite he makes and in
all of the contrivances he conceives he never undermines the importance of the
unstinting support of us fans in all this.
redpelt
Young Pro
Young Pro

Re: Re:

Postby Steely Hill » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:24 am

redpelt wrote:
Steely Hill wrote:a couple of people with dubious accents got a slap by all accounts in various sections of our ground. the away end also seemed to be far more full than usual. i don't think i could even see the aisles of the stand as it was so densely populated. of course, it must have been an admin error by WHU in selling more tickets than there were seats. especially in this month of all months. :wink:

:D

I think in regards to Gerrard's character outside of the game,you're preaching
to the already converted mate ,but as a player he must have had to carry
those gonads by wheelbarrow up to that penalty spot,so for that alone I'm
going to forgive him his rather shallow rant against the alleged fences thrown
up in an attempt to stifle our glorious gait. :wink:

I think Rodgers handles the media like a kitten teasing a ball of yarn ,he comes
across as a very intuitive man and yet always endeavours to retain that one step
away from letting the press close enough to touch...

It must infuriate them ,knowing that unlike Dalglish he is relatively bulletproof in
respect to being taunted and goaded into a provocative response.

I like him mate,he's the genuine article ,and in every sound bite he makes and in
all of the contrivances he conceives he never undermines the importance of the
unstinting support of us fans in all this.

the trouble is, as a player he is a diving, cheating hypocrite. in my book a hypocritical cheat is the very worst kind. give me a Suarez-type cheat over a weasel like Gerrard any day.

there are photos of the Liverpool team bus actually on Green Street. now you've spoken fondly of your previous visit to the Boleyn Ground so i'll not bore you with a map of the local area as you'll no doubt be aware that Green Street is the road that the car park entrance to our ground is situated on. quite how that equates to a mile away is anyone's guess but it is something that the media has carried after Gerrard's lie which makes us, as a club, look classless and muggy which infuriates me. furthermore, David Gold has made the point that if the temperature was hot in the dressing room, why not turn the heating down in there? it's a wholly unnecessary and worthless set of lies and accusations aimed at discrediting the honour of West Ham United. Rodgers never mentioned such things because they were absolute bollocks.

as for the supposed physicality of our play, there was nobody more physical than Skrtel. he was fouling Carroll literally every time the ball went near him. there was one corner early in the second half where Skrtel and (i think Flanagan) where sandwiching carroll. one had their hand around his neck from behind and another was backing into him with his hands around carroll's waist.

there was also the laughable decision to award Henderson a free kick for booting Nolan's foot after Nolan had taken the ball a fraction of a second before Henderson's attempted swipe.

in short, this amounted to a catalogue of biased decisions by the match official. again, i think managers and players should be banned from takling to match officials between the half time whistle going and the second half restarting. i have no doubt in my mind whatsoever that the referee was influenced by Liverpool FC.
Steely Hill
Admin
Admin

Re: Re:

Postby redpelt » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:59 pm

Steely Hill wrote:the trouble is, as a player he is a diving, cheating hypocrite. in my book a hypocritical cheat is the very worst kind. give me a Suarez-type cheat over a weasel like Gerrard any day.

there are photos of the Liverpool team bus actually on Green Street. now you've spoken fondly of your previous visit to the Boleyn Ground so i'll not bore you with a map of the local area as you'll no doubt be aware that Green Street is the road that the car park entrance to our ground is situated on. quite how that equates to a mile away is anyone's guess but it is something that the media has carried after Gerrard's lie which makes us, as a club, look classless and muggy which infuriates me. furthermore, David Gold has made the point that if the temperature was hot in the dressing room, why not turn the heating down in there? it's a wholly unnecessary and worthless set of lies and accusations aimed at discrediting the honour of West Ham United. Rodgers never mentioned such things because they were absolute bollocks.

as for the supposed physicality of our play, there was nobody more physical than Skrtel. he was fouling Carroll literally every time the ball went near him. there was one corner early in the second half where Skrtel and (i think Flanagan) where sandwiching carroll. one had their hand around his neck from behind and another was backing into him with his hands around carroll's waist.

there was also the laughable decision to award Henderson a free kick for booting Nolan's foot after Nolan had taken the ball a fraction of a second before Henderson's attempted swipe.

in short, this amounted to a catalogue of biased decisions by the match official. again, i think managers and players should be banned from takling to match officials between the half time whistle going and the second half restarting. i have no doubt in my mind whatsoever that the referee was influenced by Liverpool FC.

I've already stated how mystified I was when Gerrard reeled off such a catalogue of alleged indiscretions ,and how I felt as a
fan with more than a modicum of nous felt such an outburst was unnecessary, and if I'm honest slightly crass.

Needless to say Gerrard has never been my favourite player ,and I' don't believe I've ever hidden that fact or disguised my
ire at more than a few disinterested and positively soulless performances he's tried to pass off to the Kop as being acceptable
whilst wearing the red of Liverpool.

I would also concur with your point about officials being encroached upon, either on the pitch or off it ,but I doubt any referee
currently plying his trade in this country is as malleable as you suggest mate ,I mean we're talking about the most arrogant
purveyors of self importance and ones wholly supported by the most ridiculous governing body in football letting a manager hand
out a chiding sufficient enough for them to alter the balance of the game in one teams favour.
redpelt
Young Pro
Young Pro

Re: West Ham v Liverpool

Postby Steely Hill » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:23 pm

Quite. i was quoting you more as a sounding board rather than in an attempt to embroil you in a back and forth about the gutter dwelling intergrity of Mr Gerrard - getting it off my chest, if you like.

i think you heap far too much credibility on our men in black though to be honest.

i think to suggest these human beings are in no way corrupted by the opinion of others in their decision making is wishful thinking. perhaps they may not be wilfully corrupt but subconciously these things will play a part. clubs, matches and individuals are all refereed differently and that indicates unmistakable bias in their thinking.

whether it be the 'victim' of the 'perp' that affects the decision making it is undeniable that referees have this in their mind when making decisions rather than judging each incident on their merits. when you're a club managed by Sam Allardyce you generally notice this more and more. this season has been an absolute shocker for bad decisions.
Steely Hill
Admin
Admin

Re: West Ham v Liverpool

Postby redpelt » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:47 pm

Steely Hill wrote:Quite. i was quoting you more as a sounding board rather than in an attempt to embroil you in a back and forth about the gutter dwelling intergrity of Mr Gerrard - getting it off my chest, if you like.

i think you heap far too much credibility on our men in black though to be honest.

i think to suggest these human beings are in no way corrupted by the opinion of others in their decision making is wishful thinking. perhaps they may not be wilfully corrupt but subconciously these things will play a part. clubs, matches and individuals are all refereed differently and that indicates unmistakable bias in their thinking.

whether it be the 'victim' of the 'perp' that affects the decision making it is undeniable that referees have this in their mind when making decisions rather than judging each incident on their merits. when you're a club managed by Sam Allardyce you generally notice this more and more. this season has been an absolute shocker for bad decisions.

I don't believe I was extolling the probity of modern officials ,more so highlighting the fact they believe they're beholding to nobody when
an explanation of their injudicious decisions is apparent even to the myopic .....As for Allardyce, you've got me there ,he does seem to
be a manager who has become more and more cognitive to the fact officials afford him no leeway,in fact he almost looks resigned to forever
be sitting on the wrong side of a referees decision or indeed the FA's rulings.
redpelt
Young Pro
Young Pro

Next

Return to Barclays Premier League