Snouts in the Trough

This section is kept just for you to discuss anything non sport related from celebrities to politics.

Moderators: Steely Hill, Moderators

Snouts in the Trough

Postby Steely Hill » Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:42 pm

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstop ... etary.html

more revelations about our esteemed public servants.

it's a disgrace this bint isn't forced to hand over every penny she effectively conned from the public purse, let alone able to hang on to her job.

it seems that 'jobs for the boys' has at least lost its sexism connotations as they even let the women steal, cheat and rob like the rest of them now.
Steely Hill
Admin
Admin

Re: Snouts in the Trough

Postby Seamus » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:21 pm

You would have thought that after the expenses scandal that the MPs would be keeping themselves clean - not so it seems.

She has been asked to pay back less than she stole.

If this had been your average person they would have been charged by the police for Theft or Fraud but Politicians are just asked to pay back what they took. They are judged by their peers which seems bizarre. Could you imagine a judge saying to any of the Tottenham rioters 'That's all right son, just put the Plasma screen TV back to the window of the burnt out Currys where you lifted it and well say no more about it'.?
Seamus

Postby Steely Hill » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:01 am

it's the total lack of genuine outrage across the political divide that gets me. a clear indicator that they know this is still widespread.

this incident is as clear a case of theft/fraud as you're likely to find and yet only a fraction need paying back while she keeps her job and her safe seat in a town she has no actual affiliation with. it will take a very bold change in the local politics of the area she 'represents' to get rid of her and that is why this stinks so badly. these chancers are deliberately placed in safe seats knowing their crimes will go unpunished and the party will remain unaffected.
Steely Hill
Admin
Admin

Postby Hams » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:30 pm

Maria Miller has finally resigned as Culture secretary, even if this is the case i think she should still be investigated by the police and charged if needed.
Hams
Admin
Admin

Location: London Supports West Ham United and Atletico Madrid

Postby Pickleman1967 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:17 pm

Corruption in politics, as nauseating and infuriating as ever. I think our politicians dabble in small beer compared to other parts of the world, like South America, Africa, India, Russia, Italy etc., so we should be grateful for small mercies. We have, of course, a long tradition of people in privileged positions filling their boots with tax payers money...

Pickleman1967
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby Steely Hill » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:30 pm

Pickleman1967 wrote:Corruption in politics, as nauseating and infuriating as ever. I think our politicians dabble in small beer compared to other parts of the world, like South America, Africa, India, Russia, Italy etc., so we should be grateful for small mercies. We have, of course, a long tradition of people in privileged positions filling their boots with tax payers money...

while i am grateful for you sharing your gallery of pictures of Her Majesty (i presume that's what it is, my work computer doesn't show up photobucket pictures), she is the polar opposite of these self-serving wasters. i've written at length in the past how Her Majesty puts these scumbags to shame in terms of public service. Maria Miller and her ilk actually strengthen the argument for Monarchy since it is people like her that would be entrusted with promoting 'Brand Britain' around the globe (i note that Her Majesty has created another historical first by getting the Paddy PM over for a cucumber sandwich, what a gal).

it isn't the amount of corruption that infuriates me, it is the brazenness of it (is that a word?). utterly shameless and only stepping down because of public pressure, no accountability for her actions whatsoever through her own remorse. i've been in the 'none of the above' camp for quite some time and i absolutely wish that the number of people voting dropped to some pitiful figure like 10,000 or that local seats were ONLY filled by local candidates.
Steely Hill
Admin
Admin

Postby Pickleman1967 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:35 am

Steely Hill wrote:
while i am grateful for you sharing your gallery of pictures of Her Majesty (i presume that's what it is, my work computer doesn't show up photobucket pictures)

You write all this stuff on the work computer? I hope you have an understanding boss (or that you are the boss!).

I had a 'tourist' holiday in the heart of London last year, and joking aside, it opened my eyes to the attraction the royal family has in the capital for tourists, and the massive sense of history around them that pervades British culture. It doesn't mean I'm a convert, I still say cut off public funding and let them fend for themselves now. If they can't make money out of the tourist goldmine alone they deserve their fate.

You mention the 'good works' of the Queen, what about the rest of the family? They have done what recently?

Getting back to the point, people in public office seem to get an inflated sense of importance. It would appear they end up believing they must be 'something special' because they find themselves in a position of public office, with power over 'normal people' like us. Understandable in some respects (human ego and all that), but at least in a democracy (the antithesis to a monarchy) they can be exposed like this woman. The logical conclusion? Up the republic!
Pickleman1967
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby Steely Hill » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:01 am

Pickleman1967 wrote:
Steely Hill wrote:
while i am grateful for you sharing your gallery of pictures of Her Majesty (i presume that's what it is, my work computer doesn't show up photobucket pictures)

You write all this stuff on the work computer? I hope you have an understanding boss (or that you are the boss!).

I had a 'tourist' holiday in the heart of London last year, and joking aside, it opened my eyes to the attraction the royal family has in the capital for tourists, and the massive sense of history around them that pervades British culture. It doesn't mean I'm a convert, I still say cut off public funding and let them fend for themselves now. If they can't make money out of the tourist goldmine alone they deserve their fate.

You mention the 'good works' of the Queen, what about the rest of the family? They have done what recently?

Getting back to the point, people in public office seem to get an inflated sense of importance. It would appear they end up believing they must be 'something special' because they find themselves in a position of public office, with power over 'normal people' like us. Understandable in some respects (human ego and all that), but at least in a democracy (the antithesis to a monarchy) they can be exposed like this woman. The logical conclusion? Up the republic!

:lol: i'll make no comment on my work productivity although i have had no complaints :wink:

Yep, Her Majesty and the Royal family are the most important thing this country has in terms of global appeal, make no mistake about that. i've spoken before about when i was in Japan and there were daily reports on the build up to the wedding of William and Catherine. that is Japan, a country with absolutely no historical or current links to our nation or the Empire. She puts us on the map, aint no mistaking that. as far as funding goes, it is a proven fact that Her Majesty generates far more wealth for the country than she puts in. the money they make is for the Crown, which is essentially our economy. your suggestion is to essentially privatise them which would be a crushing blow to national coffers.

you've done well to note that my admiration only stretches as far as Her Majesty. i'll reserve judgement on the others until they've have the opportunity to serve us in the way Her Majesty has - by 'they' i refer only to Charles, Harry and William. the others (give or take a few) are generally self-serving pigs like our esteemed politicians.

it makes no sense that the fraudulent action of a politician would further the republican argument since a republic would just increase the number of politicians with absolutely no obvious benefit to anyone, anywhere.
Steely Hill
Admin
Admin

Postby Seamus » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:03 pm

Steely Hill wrote:you've done well to note that my admiration only stretches as far as Her Majesty. i'll reserve judgement on the others until they've have the opportunity to serve us in the way Her Majesty has - by 'they' i refer only to Charles, Harry and William. the others (give or take a few) are generally self-serving pigs like our esteemed politicians.

Would you be in favour of a scandanavian style monarchy, where they only have a royal line. The viscount, dukes etc have to earn their keep and the Queen has a day job as a company director and is wheeled out in full regalia for national occasions?.
Seamus

Postby Pickleman1967 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:58 pm

Seamus wrote:
Steely Hill wrote:you've done well to note that my admiration only stretches as far as Her Majesty. i'll reserve judgement on the others until they've have the opportunity to serve us in the way Her Majesty has - by 'they' i refer only to Charles, Harry and William. the others (give or take a few) are generally self-serving pigs like our esteemed politicians.

Would you be in favour of a scandanavian style monarchy, where they only have a royal line. The viscount, dukes etc have to earn their keep and the Queen has a day job as a company director and is wheeled out in full regalia for national occasions?.

Sounds like a solution Seamus, the problem with the British royal family is that there are too many 'hanger ons'. The extended family live very fine lives purely by accident of birth, all funded by the tax payer. I'd have a great deal of pleasure in watching the chinless wonders compete in the cold hard world the rest of have to contend with...
Pickleman1967
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby Steely Hill » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:06 am

Pickleman1967 wrote:
Seamus wrote:

Sounds like a solution Seamus, the problem with the British royal family is that there are too many 'hanger ons'. The extended family live very fine lives purely by accident of birth, all funded by the tax payer. I'd have a great deal of pleasure in watching the chinless wonders compete in the cold hard world the rest of have to contend with...

i've got no qualms with that. i've said before that Charles and William will have to do a remarkable job to even come close to the work Her Majesty has done. i, personally, do not think Charles has it in him to come close but i think William will do a wonderful job. it is the neutrality that will be the death of Charles as King. he's spouted too much opinion into the public domain on matters that he has no official business being involved in. i admire the classic 'stiff upper lip' stance Her Majesty takes in all situation. emotion is the driver of the weak.
Steely Hill
Admin
Admin

Return to General Discussion