What is the most popular club in England ?

All the latest breaking news,important match topics and great discussion can be found right here!

Moderators: Steely Hill, Moderators

What is the most popular club in England ?

Postby Rc_Lens » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:46 pm

What is the team that has the most supporters in all the country ?
Rc_Lens
Senior Pro
Senior Pro

Postby Geordie JJ » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:55 pm

MANCHESTER UNITED. Half of the country supports them. I have quite a few friends who support them. I'm not really looking forward to the first game of the season.
Geordie JJ
Senior Pro
Senior Pro

Postby Rc_Lens » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:57 pm

It has always been them ? even when they were less successful ?
Rc_Lens
Senior Pro
Senior Pro

Postby Ben91 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:02 pm

No.
Ben91
World Class
World Class

Location: Warrington . . . . . . . . . Supports: Liverpool . . . . . . . . .

Postby Geordie JJ » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:02 pm

I don't really know. I'm not old enough to say. Liverpool were the most successful team before man united started dominating. I guess they would have had the greater number of fans but people might have been more loyal to their home town club back then. Not sure really.
Geordie JJ
Senior Pro
Senior Pro

Postby Sparkyjinx » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:22 pm

It is gaged by success.

In the 80's most people supported Liverpool - when I say most people I mean the kind of people who didn't really follow the sport as such, but chose a team to keep an eye on the results of - Liverpool were the side that won most of the time, so attracted the 'fan of football' you could say.

In the 90's Man United took over - and so did their poularity. When Wenger started to challenge there was a surge of Arsenal supporters coming out the woodwork, including the celebrity fan; remember local cockney lad Chris Evans and London lassie Sara Cox , sure I even remember a Blackburn supporter 'coming out' up in my local when Dalglish took them to the title :?

Look at the sudden rise in support Chelsea have had in recent years.

I can only imagine the next decade will be dominated by people jumping on the Tottenham bandwagon :wink:
Sparkyjinx
World Class
World Class

Postby mrtz » Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:58 pm

Sparkyjinx wrote:It is gaged by success.

In the 80's most people supported Liverpool - when I say most people I mean the kind of people who didn't really follow the sport as such, but chose a team to keep an eye on the results of - Liverpool were the side that won most of the time, so attracted the 'fan of football' you could say.

In the 90's Man United took over - and so did their poularity. When Wenger started to challenge there was a surge of Arsenal supporters coming out the woodwork, including the celebrity fan; remember local cockney lad Chris Evans and London lassie Sara Cox , sure I even remember a Blackburn supporter 'coming out' up in my local when Dalglish took them to the title :?

I can only imagine the next decade will be dominated by people jumping on the Tottenham bandwagon :wink:

Dominating the Championship?
mrtz
Legend
Legend

Postby Roonanialdo » Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:33 pm

From wikipedia

Manchester United Football Club is an English football club, based at the Old Trafford stadium in Trafford, Greater Manchester, and is arguably the most popular football club in the world, with over 330 million supporters worldwide – almost 5% of the world's population. The club was a founding member of the Premier League in 1992, and has played in the top division of English football since 1938, with the exception of the 1974-75 season. Average attendances at the club have been higher than any other team in English football for all but six seasons since 1964–65.

They have been the most popular club in England since the early 50's......when the Busby Babes first came to the fore.The club's popularity and fame soared with the Munich air crash in 1958 and has never wained since. They were better supported than Liverpool all the way through Liverpools dominance of the 70's and 80's.
Roonanialdo
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby Ben91 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:27 pm

F*ck off! "Average attendances at the club have been higher than any other team in English football for all but six seasons since 1964-65" - their bloody stadium holds far more than any other. Maybe that has something to do with it?

And roonanialdo, being the most supported isn't anything to be proud of.
Ben91
World Class
World Class

Postby Sitter » Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:49 pm

Ben91 wrote:F*ck off! "Average attendances at the club have been higher than any other team in English football for all but six seasons since 1964-65" - their bloody stadium holds far more than any other. Maybe that has something to do with it?

So what if the stadium holds more, even when United were in the second division they were still averaging gates higher than teams in the league above, would other teams be able to do that?
Sitter
Grass Roots
Grass Roots

Postby Roonanialdo » Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:42 pm

Ben91 wrote:F*ck off! "Average attendances at the club have been higher than any other team in English football for all but six seasons since 1964-65" - their bloody stadium holds far more than any other. Maybe that has something to do with it?

HA HA.......I am merely answering the thread's question? Which club is the most popular in England? I'm sorry you don't like my answer Ben but facts are facts.......the most popular team is the BEST supported team.......of course......you may decide to turn that on it's head and say that they are also the most unpopular club as well.......a contradictory fact but perversely true.....the ABU bias on this forum re-emphasises that point.
Roonanialdo
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby rrrrRonaldinho » Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:17 pm

Leeds
rrrrRonaldinho

Postby Sparkyjinx » Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:52 pm

mrtz wrote:
Sparkyjinx wrote:It is gaged by success.

Dominating the Championship?

:lol:

Nah we'd still finish mid table in that too :(
Sparkyjinx
World Class
World Class

Postby Geordie JJ » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:00 pm

Mid table is the place to be sparky! 8)
Geordie JJ
Senior Pro
Senior Pro

Postby Ben91 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:18 pm

Roonanialdo wrote:

HA HA.......I am merely answering the thread's question? Which club is the most popular in England? I'm sorry you don't like my answer Ben but facts are facts.......the most popular team is the BEST supported team.......of course......you may decide to turn that on it's head and say that they are also the most unpopular club as well.......a contradictory fact but perversely true.....the ABU bias on this forum re-emphasises that point.

United are the most hated club because they have a repugnant tit of a manager who has for years as good as bribed officials and repeatedly got away with murder. Their arrogant and bias strewn fans don't help matters either.

So what if the stadium holds more, even when United were in the second division they were still averaging gates higher than teams in the league above, would other teams be able to do that?

No because they don't have the capacity to do so. If a team has a stadium capacity of 70,000 and another has 40,000 - who do you think is going to have the higher attendences if they're both very well supported? Do not be a fool.
Ben91
World Class
World Class

Postby Sitter » Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:26 pm

Ben91 wrote:

No because they don't have the capacity to do so. If a team has a stadium capacity of 70,000 and another has 40,000 - who do you think is going to have the higher attendences if they're both very well supported? Do not be a fool.

More recently yes, but back when United weren't as successful, and the stadium capacity was no different to others, they still attracted the large attendances. Again, would other teams be able to do that?
Having said that, IMHO Old Trafford has reached its maximum capacity (but yes I do know there is still scope for it to be expanded). Some games are only just about selling out, others aren't, any bigger and there will be the noticeable gaps for the majority of the games, especially if the cost of going to games keeps increasing too.
Sitter
Grass Roots
Grass Roots

Postby Ben91 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:43 pm

How has United's stadium actually progressed capacity-wise? Obviously they've kept building bit by bit but i still would've thought for a long time they'd have higher capacities than others.
Ben91
World Class
World Class

Postby Roonanialdo » Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:06 pm

Ben91 wrote:United are the most hated club because they have a repugnant tit of a manager who has for years as good as bribed officials and repeatedly got away with murder. Their arrogant and bias strewn fans don't help matters either.

Sir Alex Ferguson is the most successful football manager EVER and that fact has been recognized by the knighthood conferred on him. When he eventually retires from football we will never see his like again……and YOU….should feel proud to have been alive and involved in supporting your own team during a small part of the Ferguson era. No doubt you will proudly tell your grandchildren ALL about him…..and that you were able to experience at first hand……the talent and persona….of the greatest football manager of all time. Show some respect bruv.

Man United fans arrogant and biased………pleeeeease……..give it a rest…….all clubs have a mix of people with differing qualities and faults that support them……and ALL have their fair share of arrogant and biased fans…..it’s part of human nature.

Ben91 wrote:No because they don't have the capacity to do so. If a team has a stadium capacity of 70,000 and another has 40,000 - who do you think is going to have the higher attendences if they're both very well supported? Do not be a fool.

Get your facts straight Ben. Up until 1990 the capacity at Anfield was over 60,000 and Old Trafford was limited to 60,000. In 1990 Manchester United were forced to drop the capacity to 44,000 until they completed their ground safety improvements. The 76,000 capacity is only a recent development historically speaking. During Liverpools successful 70’s and 80’s era the best average attendance over a season was 48,127 with a capacity of 60,000, less than United’s. Don’t blame the size of the ground on the LACK of popularity of Liverpool. And these facts also quash the myth that United's fans ARE glory hunters.....they supported the club better than any other fanbase through some very lean years.
Last edited by Roonanialdo on Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Roonanialdo
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby Donkey08 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:09 pm

Sitter wrote:

leeds have done that for the last 4 seasons.
Donkey08
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby Del Piero 10 » Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:50 am

Chelsea is the next big thing but currently Manchester United (THANK GOD IT ISN'T NEWCASTLE!!)
Del Piero 10
Young Pro
Young Pro

Next

Return to Barclays Premier League