PDA

View Full Version : Shay Given - Newcastle United

The General
18-05-2005, 01:36 PM
Shay Given has become the latest in a long line of Newcastle players to voice their discontent with the club's lack of progress.

The Toon endured a season of abject misery, lurching from one sordid disaster to another, and finished in the bottom half of the Premiership.

"I'm worried about the clubís direction after whatís been a really disappointing season," the goalkeeper said. "Itís going to be very hard for the chairman and the manager to attract the necessary quality to a club that is in the InterToto Cup."

Given has previously been linked with both Arsenal and ManYoo, and by publicly voicing his frustration the Irishman is bound to reignite suggestions he could leave St Jamesí this summer.

"I feel at this point that I should be winning medals," he added. "I have won nearly 70 caps for my country and, having just turned 29, I feel like I'm in the prime of my career. I know the time will fly, so I want to win something."

For Given, the most galling disappointment of the season was the Tooís exit from the UEFA Cup. Despite being 2-0 ahead on aggregate during their quarter-final tie against Sporting Lisbon, Newcastle capitulated to a 4-1 defeat. Four days later, ManYoo knocked Graeme Sounessís side out of the FA Cup and the Tooís season was effectively over.

"I truly believed that we could win the Uefa Cup, more so than the FA Cup. I couldn't speak properly to anyone for days after that. Now it looks like Sporting, a team we were capable of beating, are going to win it.

"To me the Uefa Cup was Newcastle's big chance of making the breakthrough and finally winning a trophy. Personally I feel at this point as if I should be winning medals. I am not being egotistical but I've won nearly 70 caps and having just turned 29 I feel like I am in the prime of my career. I know the time will fly so I want to win something.

"I also know how this will sound but I don't think I am saying anything different from our supporters. I could hear what they were shouting on Sunday. They have been amazing again and nothing would please me more than winning a trophy in their colours."

jamesp_1927
18-05-2005, 03:06 PM
I agree with Shay. The Toon should be a team fighting for a place in the Champions League and they should without a doubt be getting a Uefa cup spot. I dont know if Souness was the right man to do this for them, I think Mark Hughes woul dhave been better off. But yeah Necastle have been consistantley under acheiving and they need to sort it out soon, before it to late.