PDA

View Full Version : Could you give some advice to a young striker

Max
27-07-2006, 04:09 AM
Well as it says, I am just starting to hone my skills and training very hard. But I still lack some focus.

I currently play as a forward/striker, although I have been recommended to become a mid.

Another problem I have is that I have power and control on the ground, but I lack the accuracy of my close range shots. I get nervous sometimes and hit too high. Most of the time I can sneak it past or hit the corner.

Can any players/coaches/persons with knowledge or experience give me some advice?

DB10Legend
27-07-2006, 10:52 AM
Practise. And if you're being recommended to play in midfield, then why don't u.

fmadmin
27-07-2006, 11:32 AM
moved here as the best place for this topic ....

jamesp_1927
27-07-2006, 11:48 AM
Practice your one on one's more. When your one on one just pretend your in the park with your mates.

You should play football for fun, if you play for fun you wont get nervous.

Buckard
27-07-2006, 02:40 PM
As a young player I believe you shouldn't worry too much about missing chances. As long as your getting into the right positions and your getting opportunities to score, the goals will eventually start to flow.

Concentrate on your movement off the ball when playing up front. With decent service from your teamates and good movement from yourself, you should get plenty of opportunities to score. Once you start scoring a couple your confidence should be sky high and you won't worry about missing opportunites.

I was always told not to worry if you miss, just try and make sure you score the next one.

Hope that helps Max

Buckard

Max
27-07-2006, 07:12 PM
Thanks.

And for the midfield question, I usually don't want to play it because i always liked to score and I seem to always be in the right place for a good pass to score. But they say I should be mid because of my good passing skills.

vector
28-07-2006, 02:32 AM
I could be wrong but it sounds like your abit unsure of of holding the ball? Missing shots can be simply concern over an approaching defender and thus you snatch a shot off. Someone mentioned 1v1 practice which is perfect, get more used to holding the ball which will build confidence "I can take this defender on so I dont have to have a shot" Not only does this give you more composure on the shot but once the defence sees you can do both it puts them in two minds too :)

or simply trying to hit it too hard? placement is always the key, like a good bowler in cricket work on your accuracy b4 worrying about power.

Not looking up b4 the shot? not aware of your position on the pitch in relation to the goal can also be factors.

Being in the right spot and anticipating the game/ball is half the battle won.. dont get too caught up with scoring everytime its not the FA cup :)

Maybe try concentrating every shot into the middle of the goal for a bit, be happy if it hits the target and dont care if its saved, the important bit is to hit the goal mouth centre. you can worry about sneaking it into the corners later when your confidence is up.

One other thing I thought of.. you right footed? coming in on the right wing and the ball is being fed to you from the left? If your trying to score with your right you could be allowing your let leg to bork.

picture yourself running in, you have to time it perfect that the ball clear your left leg just as your right leg is swinging for the shot.... now picture the same thing but strike the ball with your left foot..nothings in the way :) you have alot more time to compose the shot. Of course reverse your position and the feed and its now coming onto your right :)

Max
28-07-2006, 04:35 AM
Thank you very much for your advice. And I think you were right about the confidence thing. Also I am left footed. Would that be a problem?

The problem I have is not when I have one defender, but I keep getting double teamed most of the time and I rush my shots. Guess I will just have to keep calm and work on my ground footing.

vector
03-08-2006, 07:38 AM
Max I mentioned right so you could understand my scenario.. just reverse things if your a lefty.. there certainly is nothing wrong with being a lefty in fact your sometimes much sort after :)

being double tagged is just one of those things strikers or even any good player just has to deal with.. I actually like being double tagged,, it means they think Im a threat :) If I have two on me then someone else is free. The team needs to realise this and use it to their advantage. sometimes sucking those two defenders with you into an out of position spot is worth more to your side than you getting a shot off.

It certainly explains your rushed shots tho :)

Max
26-08-2006, 03:47 AM
Allright, I got a new dilema. I started to play after a long time off and now I seem to have lost my stamina. I can go for about 30 mins and then I start to fall slow. What can I do?

Darren Addick
29-08-2006, 09:34 AM
Lots of endurance workouts at the gym to bring it back up