PDA

View Full Version : Brilliant Murray outplays Federer

Moravcik
16-08-2006, 09:59 PM
Andy Murray pulled off the biggest win of his career, beating Roger Federer 7-5 6-4 in the Cincinnati Masters.

The teenager became only the second player to beat Federer this year, and it was the first time the Swiss had lost before the final for 18 events.

Federer was far from his fluent best, but an inspired Murray took full advantage, breaking serve seven times.

The Scot has struggled to serve out in recent matches, but had no such trouble as he completed his straight sets win.

One of the big strengths of Murray's game is his refusal to bow to anyone on a tennis court, no matter how big his reputation.

I played a pretty perfect match but for a few games at the end of the first set

Andy Murray

And he was the aggressor from the start against Federer, who had only been beaten by world number two Rafael Nadal in 2006.

After squandering a glorious opportunity at break point in the opening game, Murray made amends on Federer's next service, pressuring the Swiss to miss with an attempted pass.

It set the pattern for an intriguing match as Federer struggled increasingly with his form under fire from fierce Murray ground strokes down both flanks.

The 19-year-old's backhand was particularly effective and was responsible for securing him a second break after Federer had briefly broken back.

Murray wobbled when serving for the set at 5-4 and his first serve percentage hovered at a lowly 40% all game.

But he immediately created another chance to serve out and duly did so with a booming ace at set point.

Federer (right) was magnanimous - if frustrated - in defeat

Amazingly, the second set followed the pattern of the first, Murray applying pressure on almost every Federer service game and breaking at the first time of asking.

Locked at 4-4, the Briton hit another purple patch, painting the lines to breach Federer's serve for a seventh time.

And he sealed the biggest result of his fledgling career in fitting fashion with a fizzing backhand pass before sinking drained into his chair, towel over face.

"Obviously this was pretty special - I wasn't expecting it to happen today," said Murray afterwards.

"I don't think Roger played his best match, but he has such a reputation that other players think they have to hit the lines.

"I played a pretty perfect match but for a few games at the end of the first set."

Federer, who has been flawless on the American hardcourts for years, saw a run of 55-straight wins broken.

And he also missed out on equalling Ivan Lendl's record of reaching 18 consecutive finals.

What an achievement for British tennis!! :D

northbank
16-08-2006, 10:03 PM
its an achievement for SCOTTISH tennis matey,that spoilt brat wore a paraguay shirt during the world cup!
did u see tim henman in a shirt of a team playing scotland
no,because the english arent that childish [beep!] murray.

yidomatt
16-08-2006, 10:15 PM
Agreed.
But still a fantastic achievement nevertheless.

Forev
16-08-2006, 10:24 PM
Haha did he wear a Paraguay shirt? What a legend! :lol: Great day for British tennis excluding England :P We're behind you Andy!!

RFCboy2K6
16-08-2006, 10:39 PM
Got to say the Paraguey shirt was nice. He might just have liked the top :lol:

northbank
16-08-2006, 10:42 PM
peasants.

Moravcik
16-08-2006, 10:56 PM
peasants.

Cheer up, just because Tim Henmans rubbish!

Forev
16-08-2006, 11:00 PM
Gowan Tim! :lol:

yidomatt
16-08-2006, 11:00 PM
Henman is more than rubbish mate.

Moravcik
16-08-2006, 11:03 PM
Henman is more than rubbish mate.

Yea Tim and Greg only really embarass the nation each time they lift their rackets. When is the last time Rudeski made it past the first round of a tournament? :lol:

northbank
16-08-2006, 11:11 PM
if i liked tennis then your comments would affect me-but as i worship football and no other sport i couldnt care less about tim "loser" henman.

RFCboy2K6
16-08-2006, 11:12 PM
rudeski isn't even british hes candian :lol:

Moravcik
16-08-2006, 11:13 PM
if i liked tennis then your comments would affect me-but as i worship football and no other sport i couldnt care less about tim "loser" henman.

Im not trying too affect you, im just speaking the truth!!!

RFCboy2K6
16-08-2006, 11:15 PM
if i liked tennis then your comments would affect me-but as i worship football and no other sport i couldnt care less about tim "loser" henman. your the one who chose to post i this thread no one forced you did they :roll:

Stallion
16-08-2006, 11:23 PM
murray is a great talent and wat british tennis needs really Well Done Andy Murray

northbank
17-08-2006, 12:29 AM
RFC boy,have you visited earth lately? i never posted this stupid thread :roll: :roll: :roll:

RFCboy2K6
17-08-2006, 12:33 AM
ill re put it here

" your the one who chose to post IN this thread no one forced you "

northbank
17-08-2006, 12:39 AM
why did you you reply to this thread then?
if your too spineless to admit that you replied to this thread because you want a swipe at the english thats your problem. im not intersted in any british sport because im ENGLISH.

RFCboy2K6
17-08-2006, 12:41 AM
You talk the biggest amount of crap iv heard in ages.

yidomatt
17-08-2006, 12:44 AM
I don't really care about Britain either because I am also English :wink:
I'm not at all bothered about Tennis as Football is my life, but well done to the lad for beating the world number 1.

northbank
17-08-2006, 12:47 AM
RFC boy,i didnt mean to offend you mate,im just trying to reply to you without making myself look like the loser in the argument.
hope you didnt take my b**lshit seriosly. :oops:

RFCboy2K6
17-08-2006, 12:48 AM
Its sound.

fmadmin
18-08-2006, 02:54 PM
and he has won his next match against Robby Ginepri , the semi-final will be against Andy Roddick who he beat at Wimbledon earlier this year . Can he keep this hot streak going .....

MT40swfc
18-08-2006, 02:58 PM
Well done Murray even though hes anouther envious Scotland fan :lol:

Moravcik
18-08-2006, 04:34 PM

envious or patriotic? Seems too me that only the English are allowed too fly the flag with pride....

putrum6
18-08-2006, 05:02 PM
I think that Murray lives and trains in Barcelona

RFCboy2K6
18-08-2006, 05:09 PM
He's a barca fan.

But i don't know if he supports a Scottish team or not but.

MT40swfc
18-08-2006, 05:57 PM

envious or patriotic? Seems too me that only the English are allowed too fly the flag with pride....

He could fly the scotland flag anyday i wudnt say anythin but when he wears a paraguay shirt.

Gazza-LFC
18-08-2006, 06:00 PM
Congratulations to Murray,nobody gave him a chance of beating Federer,so well played to the lad

Leo
19-08-2006, 08:31 AM
He Got Beat 2 Roddick Last Night

O Dogg
19-08-2006, 09:23 AM
Yeh he did well though.
Good player and plays with alot of passion.
He has a bright future.

Fergie da man
19-08-2006, 02:00 PM
peasants.

Cheer up, just because Tim Henmans

Great comment Moravcik i totally agree. If you knew anything about Tennis you'd know Henman is a truely crap. Henman was in the top 10 of the world for 10 years! Murray does have the ability to do that, Murray is a "prospect". Youll watch Andy Murray rise to no.1, he'll become a true great.

Oh and looks like Murray's out of the tournrment at the quarters, Tim couldnt even make it that far!!! :lol: Murray has beat Henman everytime theyve played! Also Tim Henman would never be able too beat Federer because hes so mince!

Also I am bisexual, if anyones interested.

MT40swfc
19-08-2006, 02:58 PM
Dont always beleive what you see in the papers.

Forev
19-08-2006, 03:06 PM
Grow up you idiot.

You are just coming back on the forum to cause conflict. Fuck off and come back when you've hit puberty.

Moravcik
19-08-2006, 03:40 PM
peasants.

Great comment Moravcik i totally agree. If you knew anything about Tennis you'd know Henman is a truely crap. Henman was in the top 10 of the world for 10 years! Murray does have the ability to do that, Murray is a "prospect". Youll watch Andy Murray rise to no.1, he'll become a true great.

Oh and looks like Murray's out of the tournrment at the quarters, Tim couldnt even make it that far!!! :lol: Murray has beat Henman everytime theyve played! Also Tim Henman would never be able too beat Federer because hes so mince!

Wow thanks for the praise, but i don't think there was a need for us too know about your sexuality...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

MT40swfc
19-08-2006, 03:44 PM
peasants.

Wow thanks for the praise, but i don't think there was a need for us too know about your sexuality...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

lmao love what youve done there :lol:

Forev
19-08-2006, 03:58 PM
lmao quality!! You big shirt lifter!

Fergie da man
19-08-2006, 04:55 PM
Haha very immature, yet again. You selfish scots bave in Murray's glory, hang on, what glory?

Henman for Prime Minister

Fergie da man
19-08-2006, 04:57 PM
Grow up you idiot.

You are just coming back on the forum to cause conflict. [beep!] off and come back when you've hit puberty.

If you call that conflict then there's something wrong with you.

Forev
19-08-2006, 05:17 PM
Yeah that's ok. Love you hunni xx ,;)

Moravcik
19-08-2006, 08:03 PM
Yeah that's ok. Love you hunni xx ,;)

Lol id watch yourself mate, you might tempt him!!!

northbank
20-08-2006, 01:00 AM
id rather watch bill murray win wimbledon than andy murray. :wink:

Gazza-LFC
20-08-2006, 01:36 AM
Can't we all just get along like a big family eh :D

cfc+stfc4lyf
20-08-2006, 07:25 PM
i like tennis and i watched it while i was on holiday i was the only one cheering but after cheering every point he won i got told off lol