PDA

View Full Version : please help me (and everyone else with this problem)

Dave_Whufc
12-09-2006, 08:33 PM
i really need help with this, im a center forward of a team, im pretty much a goalscorer but theres one thing i cant do...

i cant take a penalty.

i would really appreciate advice from anyone who takes a succesful penalty...

thanks

twmcat
13-09-2006, 12:39 AM
I'm an old git, but used to like taking pens in my younger days - against lousy goallies every time :D

Pick your spot that the GK will find it hard to get to, then hammer it :lol:
Then, if the GK cheats by moving before the ball is kicked, just hope the ref knows what he's doing ,;)

cshipley
13-09-2006, 07:54 AM
actually if the ref knows what hes doing he will know the keeper can move before its kicked as long as he remains on his line!

craigleedscityvixens
13-09-2006, 11:10 AM
I tend to find if your right footed aim for the left hand side of the goal.If your left footed aim for the right.Its easier to get power and accuracy if you stick to that.

Darren Addick
13-09-2006, 11:19 AM
Thats nonsense Craig, you say that to all your players and it wont take long for keepers to realise the methods!! My advice would be to hang different sized hoops from the crossbar in front of the goal and aim to kick the ball through them for precision

craigleedscityvixens
13-09-2006, 11:24 AM
I agree with what you are saying but at a young age of 15 they need to get there confidence going and learn precision.Ive taken penalties for the last 20 years for most clubs ive played at and ive hit the bottom left everytime in the side netting so the keeper hasnt a chance

Dave_Whufc
13-09-2006, 05:44 PM
ok so low and hard or top corner?

craigleedscityvixens
14-09-2006, 07:31 PM
anywhere in the side netting

Jamie_InvernessSDD
18-09-2006, 11:14 PM
I have a solution to your problem with penalties. - it may however take some time.
First of all, go out, and make each player take 20 pens, let each player decide for themselves the top three places where they feel most comfortable placing their penalties, and then make them practice those three spots. This way they do not have to worry as much about about missing, as they should even at a young age have success from the spot.
In theory each player should then have three spots they almost never miss to, which means if the goalkeeper telegraphs where he is going and dives early and it happens to be their chosen spot, they can easily change to another. If he doesn't go early then they should score anyway.

twmcat
18-09-2006, 11:28 PM
actually if the ref knows what hes doing he will know the keeper can move before its kicked as long as he remains on his line!
But he's still got to be on his line, so maybe a far better player than I ever was can work out something based on my idea :)

Jamie_InvernessSDD
18-09-2006, 11:37 PM
simple solution: practice by all means, and improve - but just don't take penalties then unless theres nobody else.
we have a forward in our team who scores form everywhere just not pens, so our left back takes them. Theres no shame in handing the ball to someone else.

twmcat
19-09-2006, 01:02 AM
I'm an oldie here - and I remember many penalty takers were full backs when I was very young.
I think it became a bit stylish for strikers to take them so they could add to their goal tally for a season.

fmadmin
19-09-2006, 09:36 AM
the best way is the trick method ..... have a teamate close by as you are about to kick the ball . Instead of whacking the ball ...just flick the top of the ball so that it runs to your teamate on the left ...he will then proceed to pass the ball into the net past the bewildered goalkeeper . ,8)

A Warning though ...failure to connect properly with the ball will result in the term now known as `Arsed it up` and you and your teamates being ridiculed for the next 3 or 4 weeks by fellow players and the media or press . :oops:

SyCo
19-09-2006, 04:35 PM
West_Ham_F4n, I suggest you do alot of practice.

Grab your team goalkeeper(s) after training or whenever your free to get some practice in. Jamie_InvernessSDD had a good idea of picking 3 spots where you should would want to put it but i suggest you start off practicing putting the ball in all 4 corners, your practice will help you decide how much power you can put into it without the placement being off.

Another thing is bending the ball with the outside of your foot. Take a straight run up and swing your leg across your body at the last minute to get as much curl on it as possible. Keep it on the ground though. This is a great way to trick the keeper into thinking your going one way and the curl takes it the other. But again, its all about practice.

Before you take the kick though, just watch the keeper. He might be trying to trick you into putting the ball where he wants it by standing to one side slightly to entise you into that corner. Another thing to do is to stay relaxed, once you've seen where the keeper is places, think about where you want to put it, one of the corners is the best bet, turn around and take some deap breaths, then take the kick when your ready.

Dave_Whufc
19-09-2006, 09:48 PM
thanks guys, i appreciate the help and i will try to improve, as a forward i feel its something i should do....i can score from 40 yards easier then 12 :P i liked the curling one, that was my old way but didnt really work.

but anyways thanks, glad you could help ,8)

TheStriker
05-10-2006, 09:06 PM
My method:
Pick a spot. Deep breath in. Deep breath out. Strike.

I usually go for a bottom corner. It's generally harder for keepers to dive low and if you try to keep your shot low there's less chance you'll miss. If you can strike the ball on target and make the keeper move to get to it you'll stand a good chance.

jk6000
05-10-2006, 09:34 PM
Make your run to the ball straight

Dave_Whufc
07-10-2006, 11:37 PM
won a penalty today but i just couldnt take it :( , even though i already had a goal under my belt

Darren Addick
09-10-2006, 11:09 AM
Well in that case confidence is the first thing you need to gain, in training stay behind and ask ur keeper to and just take penalties against him mate

coachkev
20-10-2006, 01:21 PM
Taking Penalties
Selection of players
Temperament. Has he the right temperament.
Can you budget for them
Can you trust them

Establish a routine.
Timing of approach.
Composed approach.
Ball on the spot. Not next to it. If the referee asks you to replace the ball it will upset your routine.
Always the same run up. In training find your best run up and stick with it.
Hit with pace.
Same technique. Either laces or side foot don't change your mind.
Never change your mind on which way you are shooting.
Body language. Be composed and confident.

Practice
The whole routine
Having a routine helps concentration
We have been here before

Another way is to see how Goalkeeprs work at Saving Penalities and then using that knowledge

Saving Penalties

With the results of so many matches, even World Cup Finals, being decided on penalties, the technique of saving them has assumed greater significance in the modern game. As in one-against-one situations, the pressure during penalty kicks is on the player and not the Keeper since, once the ball is placed on the spot a goal is the expected outcome. Furthermore, during penalty shoot-outs the stress on the penalty taker is even greater, especially when scores are close. This is particularly true for those players who are not the regular penalty taker. For this reason the Keeper might wish to adopt different strategies to suit the situation.
There are two basic techniques: gambling by moving early, or standing up to react to the shot.

Moving Early
The reason why the goalkeeper moves early is because a shot aimed into the corner with pace will otherwise be impossible to save. There are a number of ploys that the goalkeeper can use to assist this guesswork.

Assessing the player taking the kick. Generally speaking, defenders take fewer risks than midfield or forward players and tend to play safe by pushing the ball to the same side as the kicking foot. Tricky, skilful players may try to fool the goalkeeper by clipping the ball to the opposite side of the kicking foot.

Trying to "dummy" the kicker.
As the player runs up to take the kick, the keeper feints to move in one direction. The object is to make the kicker think that the keeper is going to dive that way. As a result he places the ball on the other side into the arms of the keeper.

Moving backwards and forwards along the goal line.
By moving to and fro along the goal line the keeper may put the player off and cause him to misdirect the shot. However, it must be remembered that it is very difficult to dive in one direction while moving in the other.

Standing on one side of the goal.
Standing slightly to one side of the centre of the goal may also disrupt the concentration of the kicker who may be forced to change his original intention. It is a brave player who will direct the shot towards the smaller part of the goal. So the goalkeeper should gamble and move to cover the bigger gap.

Observing the approach of the kicker.
The run up of the kicker can give some idea of his body position as he strikes the ball and therefore, an indication of its intended destination. If the player addresses the ball from a head-on and a very straight approach (A), then it is highly unlikely that he will be able to play the ball the same side as the kicking foot. The shot will either be delivered straight or swung across the body into the opposite corner. If the approach is curved (B), the kicker is likely to shoot to the same side as the kicking foot. From an angle but fairly straight run-up (C), the shot is likely to be placed back across the keeper.

..............Direction of Ball
________|.AC.....A......B|__________

.........................*
................B
..................C
.......................A
..............Run Up for Right Footed Penalty taker

Reacting to the shot
During normal play it is likely that the keeper will face the regular penalty taker who will probably have a tried-and-tested approach and sufficient composure to execute an accurate shot. However, it the shootouts as the pressure mounts, the taker may lose his nerve and aim. Indeed, personal research of many penalty shoot out situations has indicated that the majority of shots are played towards the centre of the goal. The keeper should play percentages and concentrate on defending the middle 6 yards of the goal: the temptation to dive early should be resisted in favour of reacting to the shot.
Whatever saving method is used, it would be unrealistic to expect success every time. Experience will indicate which is the most effective strategy and the keeper should persevere with it. The goalkeeper should of course, practise the various saving methods, but it is difficult to recreate the tension of real match situations during training sessions since the penalty takers will be fairly relaxed in their approach and be therefore more prepared to take risks.

Tom_Nufc
21-10-2006, 11:12 PM
i really need help with this, im a center forward of a team, im pretty much a goalscorer but theres one thing i cant do...

i cant take a penalty.

i would really appreciate advice from anyone who takes a succesful penalty...

thanks

my advice, blast it!!

as long as you keep it on target, and get loads of power behind the shot, the keeper will have l;ess time to react, and prob wont keep it out if he gets something on it :D

Bluenose
21-10-2006, 11:34 PM
If he's a good goalie he knows which side your aiming for.... so change your mind at the very last second :P

maquee
22-10-2006, 01:02 AM
dont take them fits becomming an issue for you. let someone with the confidence of burying it take it. it will only dstract from yor game if umiss one. concentate on being a striker, not a penalty taker

Dave_Whufc
22-10-2006, 01:08 PM
ok all thanks for advice