PDA

View Full Version : Benfica vs Manchester United

Forev
26-09-2006, 07:48 PM
This is the worst performance I have seen from us soo far in a very long time, we are being dominated! Back to the 2nd half, it's damage limitation if we don't get our act together! Ronaldo is the only one who has impressed me for once.

yeek
26-09-2006, 08:51 PM
Well you lot played a lot better in the second half. Great performance from Ronaldo and well taken goal by Saha. I feel gutted for Benfica. They deserved a point at least.

tdv
26-09-2006, 08:59 PM
This is the worst performance I have seen from us soo far in a very long time, we are being dominated! Back to the 2nd half, it's damage limitation if we don't get our act together! Ronaldo is the only one who has impressed me for once.

I would agree all of that excpet the Ronaldo part & I thaught Saha tried hard. But there is a serious problem going on with United & this just isnt from the last few games this has been going on for the last 2 or 3 seasons & its getting worse & its something thats not going to sort its self out over night. If Benfica had a decent striker out there tonite we probally would have lost.

Forev
26-09-2006, 09:00 PM
Well with performances like that and the one against Reading, Ronaldo is going the right way about winning me around. He let the pressure off us tonight at vital times by going on runs and for once he was creating with his possession. Man of the match performance for me!
We needed the team to pick up in the second half and they delivered so I'm generally happy. Although if we had been against more lethal opposition we'd have been dead and buried by the end of the first half! Scholesy was a different class tonight, his touch was first class after the team had bucked their act up. Also great to see Smithy back in action after all that time out.

tyunited
26-09-2006, 09:20 PM
overall not a very good game only plus was the performence by ronaldo

Wellsy
26-09-2006, 09:24 PM
Rooney looked poor tonight, uninterested as anythin. thought Heinze had a good game, i love the way he plays with such commitment & enthusiasm and great goal from Saha even if i did get a slight deflection.

tdv
26-09-2006, 09:27 PM
Well with performances like that and the one against Reading, Ronaldo is going the right way about winning me around. He let the pressure off us tonight at vital times by going on runs and for once he was creating with his possession. Man of the match performance for me!
We needed the team to pick up in the second half and they delivered so I'm generally happy. Although if we had been against more lethal opposition we'd have been dead and buried by the end of the first half! Scholesy was a different class tonight, his touch was first class after the team had bucked their act up. Also great to see Smithy back in action after all that time out.

There's no doubt that Ronaldo has talent because he dose have great ability but its being used in the wrong way. He's a one man show he's not a team player, he'd rather try & show off to the crowd by trying to take on half of the team by himself when the best thing to do would be to play the simple pass.

But thats just a fraction of the problem with United, when Benfica were coming at them tonite they looked like a Confrence team, they were sitting back so deep & nobody & I mean nobody was trying to close them, they didnt look intrested what so ever, & when they were on the ball they were just as bad, no movment, nobody trying to make space & Carrick & O'Shea looked like they didnt no what they were supposed to do. They were set -up bad aswell. Last year when we got knocked out of it they played 4-3-3 with Rooney on the left & Ronaldo on the rite & it didnt work the & it didnt work tonite & its not going to work in the future. And when they come up against a real team in the CL they will be ripped apart like Arsenal did to them last week, they'll get away with it against the smaller teams but when they come up against the big ones like the Milans & Barcelonas they'll be exposed.

Forev
26-09-2006, 09:40 PM
Yeah well I know you don't like Ronaldo, I'm not his biggest fan either as you know but credit where credit is due, tonight he was top drawer. In the first half he was the only bit of hope we had. The 2nd half his runs were destroying Benfica and putting them on the back foot. If he continues like that and adds a bit more in the creative side then I'd be happy with him. When we have 3 in the middle then he is not expected to be back as much so that should not be expected with that system.

We should go back to 4-4-2 but the problem is that Carrick and Scholes aren't used to eachother although at times tonight their one touch football was nice but others they looked clueless together. It will take time for this team to gel but the main thing that needs changing is Rooney back in the middle. That was the worst performance I have seen him put in, in a United shirt. I couldn't believe some of the mistakes he was making at times.

Bottom line is we won the game and we should count ourselves lucky but move on to the next one at home to Newcastle at the weekend. No doubt though that this kind of performance will get us nowhere in the league or any of the cups. Improvement is needed but it's not the end of the world.

Moravcik
26-09-2006, 10:00 PM
United played badly and still won in Benfica....what more can you say?

Im glad they won, it should hopefully help Celtic! :D

Tez Arne
26-09-2006, 11:59 PM
I only watched a little bit of the match, I hate watching portuguese teams play. they're all over the floor.

Forev
27-09-2006, 12:00 AM
Yeah, they were a disgrace tonight. Portuguese in general are diving cheats.

Gazza-LFC
27-09-2006, 01:45 AM
United were poor in the first half,but improved a lot in the second and i thought they probably deserved the win,and i agree the Portuguese are still at it with the diving

Darren Addick
27-09-2006, 09:36 AM
Poor game apart from (as much as I hate to say it) ronaldo and saha's goal (although it was deflected). Is Fergie the new tinkerman with his formations?

Strik3r
27-09-2006, 10:24 AM
Benfica is still with that misterious way of playing, where it doesn't let the opponent play but it doesn't paly football either! The objective is clear: not to loose. Nuno Gomes is left alone in the offense in order to keep two central back marking him. Balls reaching him: none. The only chance he had, Van der Saar touched away around the post. Apart from that, we just endangered Man Utd goal in far shots...

In first half, we did better closing Man Utd in it's midfield. Although in 2nd half, and even more after the 0-1, Manchester justified the win, with a couple more chances, one of them with Quim making 3 great saves in close range shots after a free-kick!

fmadmin
27-09-2006, 12:31 PM
well i didnt see the whole match as i was watching the other more important match ...... :wink: I saw the highlights and its true Man Utd were much better 2nd half ..good goal by Saha and Ronaldo was everywhere trying to make something happen , Rooney was in cuckoo land .... and one time he lost the ball you could see Ferguson shouting at him ... :) I think they just about deserved the win ...

backofthenet
27-09-2006, 12:36 PM
just got done watching it, thought benfica were highly disappointing. Very much like portugal in the world cup lots of possesion, but little cutting edge. United were awful first half, but much better in the second. They really need to invest in a left sided winger because all there action came from one flank, giggs will get more injury prone as time goes on, certainly areas need investing there in january.

Conaldinho
27-09-2006, 07:36 PM
Well, as usual I agree with what tdv is saying, we were terrible. Ronaldo wasnt great, he dribbled alot but as usual had no final product and always tried to take on a man too many and ended up losing the ball. Rooney was playing at left back for most of the game and although he didnt have a good game, you cant expect much if Ferguson keeps playing him out of position.
Carrick was a waste of money like ive always said, he adds nothing to the team, O'Shea isnt good enough, ferdinand isnt good enough, why was Brown dropped instead of him? Heinze was our best player and the only one who really tried his hardest for 90 minutes.
Only positives are the resuly and seeing Smith back

smithy
28-09-2006, 06:06 PM
Poor showing from Utd , can't really say much that hasn't all ready be said. I did wonder why Brown was Dropped though. I wish Giggsy was back , we play better with him in the side. I was well pleased to see Alan Smith get on , good to see him back.

sdrawrof
29-09-2006, 01:10 AM
Yeah, they were a disgrace tonight. Portuguese in general are diving cheats.
ouch that hurt. :( I coud say soemthing about the english in general, but this is not the place for that. The fact is you have the fact is, You have the one of the worst divers on your team, and whie he is Portuguese, he does play for your team, so it is still alittle hypocritical to criticize anyoen else. Also, can you tell Mr. Giggs that this is not the mens olympic long jump?

Oh and one other thing. Adeus, Mr. Santos. We ar eplaying like sh*t this year, its official. I can't take it anymore, I don't care about champions league, be we can't finish behind the Porto scum again...nooooooooooooooooooooooo

Darren Addick
29-09-2006, 09:00 AM
Giggs didn't even play mate. Hes out injured

Raul
29-09-2006, 09:20 AM
Hehehehe, english people always complaining of divers :P

Darren Addick
29-09-2006, 10:56 AM
Yea normally because they are cheating when they do it

Raul
29-09-2006, 03:15 PM
LOL, ok ok, I agree and it also annoys me. It's only that in other countries people complain about other ways of cheating.

tdv
29-09-2006, 04:31 PM
Nearly every liverpool game I seem to watch now Gerrad always seems to go down very easily but he's an English player so I guess it makes it ok rite?

redandwhite
08-10-2006, 10:48 PM
Well, i wonīt be analyzing the game itself cause its been a while...
but i must say even though Benfica is having a nightmare start of season theyve managed to contain a strong united (much stronger than last year in my opinion)
not the best match from united but a point to each team would be more adequate.

about the diving...itīs not about cheating, itīs about habit, if your refīs call a foul every 10 seconds players take advantage of it, and there lies the big difference between british football and the rest of europe. easy to spot the differences between english refs and the rest, if you dont call a foul, one, two, three, four times the players will eventually stop diving as they wont take any advantage from it.

its part of the mentality....hard to change

it disgusts me too, look at some portugal matches in the world cup (specially ronaldo)...i got furious everytime they threw themselves at the lawn
although some british refs tend to look away from unnecessary roughness a bit too much

not better or worst...just different mentalities

Strik3r
13-10-2006, 04:55 PM
Giggs didn't even play mate. Hes out injured

He played for Premiership the Saturday before the Benfica match and flew like a bird for stupendid penalty, with his opponent thinking "Wow, look at this jump!!! It's amazing!!! It even fooled me, 'cause I'm really doubting: did I hit him???"...

Probably he injured himself in the dive... :?