PDA

View Full Version : Penny drops at Darlo

steve020
30-10-2006, 11:10 AM
Darlington have appointed Dave Penney as the club's new manager.

The 42-year-old replaces David Hodgson at The TFM Arena after his predecessor was dismissed following an internal investigation.

The appointment marks a quick return to management for Penney, who left Doncaster Rovers earlier this season.

During Penney's time at Belle Vue, he guided Rovers from the non-league ranks into League One, and enjoyed great success in the Carling Cup last season.

The Quakers job will be only his second in league football and he topped a four-man short-list for the post.

Martin Gray, who had been in caretaker charge after Hodgson's exit, was also in contention for the permanent role.

He has been named as Penney's assistant, with the new manager's first game in charge coming at Tranmere Rovers in the Johnstone's Paint Trophy on Tuesday night.

Darlington chairman George Houghton believes the club have made a notable appointment in Penney.

"This is a major coup for Darlington Football Club," said Houghton.

"Dave Penney is regarded as one of the most talented young managers around. His achievements with Doncaster were exceptional and we are delighted he has chosen to come to Darlington.

"Dave's ambition matches that of this club and we will give him all the support and backing he needs to bring long-awaited success to Darlington."

kytoon
30-10-2006, 05:33 PM
I think this will be a great coup for Darlo I think he is more than capable of getting them a top 7 finish and I still think if he can gel them as a unit quickly that with the quality of players that are there at the club that automatic promotion is possible. I still say well done Hodgey and good luck to him as he did a great job for Darlo and I think that the chairmen was to hasty but time moves on and good luck to the new Dave at the helm. Hopefully Darlo will be back where they belong in league 1 next year.