PDA

View Full Version : Under 14s in need of desparate help

hornbeam
30-10-2006, 05:04 PM
I have been running a youth team since they were under 7s.

The basis has always been to teach players football and give them the opportunity to play match football regardless of ability.

However, now they are Under 14s, all players that developed to a good level have been poached over the years by better teams, and I am left with several boys of good ability and the rest are new to match football.

Unfortunately, this is now causing us the big problem of losing most of our games, the players do all the right things in training, fitness is quiet high, but the results keep going against us.

The problems are missing our chances, and leaking lots of silly goals.

Any help or advice in how to turn this around would be helpful, I feel it may be down to bad coaching in the matches, they seem to start very slow, but pick up towards the second half, by which time we are usually 3-0 down, I dont think it will take much to turn them around, but I think I am missing something simple in our game plan.

P.S. We are based in West Essex/Herts Borders

SyCo
30-10-2006, 05:11 PM
Go back to basics, show them and keep showing them how to defend as a unit and to put attacks in positions they dont want to be in. Work on shooting techniques and following up the shots all the time even if the ball is going straight at the keeper right at his midsection, he might drop it if he sees another player charging him down, and poach goals that way.

If fitness levels are high, then pressing all over the pitch should work wonders for you and create twice the amount of chances just by pressuring the players and not allowing them any time or space with the ball.

Thats all i can really say without seeing them play though, Hope it helps, even if its just one point i made.

Darren Addick
30-10-2006, 06:24 PM
If may be because they are not used to playing as a team and need a while to gel. More training sessions perhaps?

I'm in South East Essex so might try and pop up to give you some advice

TheMavericks
01-11-2006, 03:52 PM
GOALKEEPER WANTED

We currently play in Divison 1 of the Charles Rice League. We are a team based in Barnsley and we are looking for a new goal keeper. We play at a high level and would require a good experienced keeper. The position is up for grabs due to a player leaving the team. If you are interested then why not contact me and arrange to come to one of our training sessions.

Send an email to dave@themavericks.co.uk to find out more.

Cheers

Dave

Dave_Whufc
01-11-2006, 06:22 PM
my team last year was awful, it was a terrible season. now at under 15s we chose that we actually wanted to win games. now we have 9 new signings, and are sitting at the top of the league.

chrisjwest
01-11-2006, 10:23 PM
I think if your aim is to 'win' which is really just a few numbers on a scoreboard then you need to focus on planning and preparing your team for competition and leave no stone unturned.
Work with your team on there defensive weaknesses (maybe its pressuring the ball in a zone defense). 1 touch football develops awareness, touch, correct body position, movement off the ball plus its hard to defend against. To introduce this you might want to do triangles or squares with a defender in the middle and play 1 touch or a 3v3 game where there are no goals but get 1 point for putting together 5 1 touch passes in a row.

Hope this gives you some ideas

alihynd
03-11-2006, 06:17 AM
I think everybody has to remember winning or losing is not what it should be about in youth football, we have a mentality we have to win at all costs.

Ask yourself the question are the team enjoying playing football with the coaching and getting a game. as there are many youngsters throughout the country who can't get a game because they are classed as being not good enough.

If your answer is yes then the case results will come with good enjoyable training as well as an enjoyable atmosphere for the squad.

dtr36
06-11-2006, 08:10 PM
hi i had a simalar problem with my under 11 team but now we have all gelled we are now playing a lot better and have started to win games.Just reasure them and keep up the drills on working as a team.