PDA

View Full Version : Calzaghe to take on Manfredo

steve020
23-11-2006, 05:17 PM
Super-middleweight king Joe Calzaghe looks set to be stripped of his IBF title after opting to take on former reality TV star Peter Manfredo at Cardiff's Millennium Stadium on March 3.

The IBF have ruled that Calzaghe must defend his belt against the German Robert Stieglitz. However, with a fight against Stieglitz, unknown outside his homeland despite his unbeaten record, unlikely to attract any of the top American TV companies Calzaghe have opted to take on the high-profile Manfredo instead.

The 25-year-old American is best known for his appearances on the popular reality boxing TV show 'The Contender', where he eventually finished as runner-up to Sergio Mora.

'The Latin Snake' Mora went on to win the rematch away from the show, but Manfredo responded to enhance his reputation with wins over fringe world title contenders Scott Pemberton and Joe Spina.

Calzaghe told ESPN.com: "There is a world of difference between being a reality TV star and a world champion boxer. He has only seen the glitz and glamour of the sport - now he is in for the real thing.

"From what I have seen, he is a good, tough kid and is well known in America. But this is my 20th defence and ninth year as champion, and he is not going to spoil that."

While a showdown with Manfredo will further increase Calzaghe's exposure Stateside - with HBO to show the bout - it will come at a cost, with the IBF likely to strip him of their title.

However, Calzaghe will remain as the WBO titlist - with that belt on the line on March 3.

The undercard in Wales will also see Amir Khan make his HBO debut as he looks to increase his reputation.

Leo
23-11-2006, 06:41 PM
Do ya reckon this'll be on ITV

steve020
23-11-2006, 06:45 PM
Yeah i would think so.

This is going to be a cracker Manfredo is a very handy fighter but i hope Joe wins which i think hewill do this will boost his profile in America.

Gazza-LFC
24-11-2006, 08:40 AM
I feel so sorry for Manfredo already lol,winning a reality TV programme is nothing compared to facing a world champion who is unbeaten in over 40 fights and put Eubank on his backside with his first punch lol.....good luck Manfredo,you will need it when you're on the floor and all you can hear is the referee counting to 10 lol

steve020
12-12-2006, 01:04 PM
Heared this fight has now been put back a month to keep the pitch at the Millenium Stadium in mint condition for the 6 nations.

Leo
12-12-2006, 02:47 PM
Why does it get host on the pitch. If it was, I would of never knew that but i'm starting to get a faint imagination what it would look like.

RFCboy2K6
28-12-2006, 06:54 PM
I feel so sorry for Manfredo already lol,winning a reality TV programme is nothing compared to facing a world champion who is unbeaten in over 40 fights and put Eubank on his backside with his first punch lol.....good luck Manfredo,you will need it when you're on the floor and all you can hear is the referee counting to 10 lol

Did Manfredo not come second in the competion and the guy that won it hasn't went on to do anything.

I think Calzaghe would win anyway but its crap if he will get stripped of his title.

O Dogg
28-12-2006, 07:46 PM
Its a publicity stunt. Boxing can be a funny sport where Underdogs do sometimes cause major upsets, but I think Joe is far too good a professional to be shown up against Manfredo. One way traffic in this one. Joe needs to make sure though he goes for the win early. Get rid of Manfredo within 5 rounds and don't get carried away showboating.

Gazza-LFC
28-12-2006, 07:55 PM
I agree,if he starts with the showboating again then things could turn nasty for him,i don't think he should go for the knockout as Manfredo could still be dangerous,Calzaghe should just use his experience and he will come through this fight with ease.

steve020
28-12-2006, 10:59 PM
I think that maybe Joe is seeing this as a way of breaking America. Peter is very highly thought of over in the States so i hear and if Joe can put on a show against him a few good money spinners in the States could be on the horizon.