PDA

View Full Version : Maldini may play on

Moravcik
27-11-2006, 10:47 AM
Milan captain Paolo Maldini has admitted he may reconsider his plans to retire.

Maldini proved his worth to Milan by scoring the winner in Saturday's success over Messina.

The former Italian international revealed earlier this week that he was considering hanging up his boots as he struggles with a knee injury.

Maldini admitted the decision on whether he plays on or not will come down to how his knees feel.

"I think I am in a position to still give something to this team, otherwise I would have already quit by now," said Maldini.

"I would love to continue because I still enjoy playing and training. However, it is sometimes hard to work in pain.

"You will have to ask my knee whether we can continue or not. However, anything can happen between now and June."

Meanwhile, Milan boss Carlo Ancelotti has played down reports linking the club with a move for a goalkeeper in the January transfer window.

Reports suggested that Milan may be forced to bring in a new keeper after an injury to Dida.

Livorno's Marco Amelia has been linked with a move to the Giuseppe Meazza, but Ancelotti believes Dida could make a quick return to action from a knee injury.

"At the end of January Dida could be ready to come back to play, so there isn't the need to ask the club to strengthen after Christmas," said Ancelotti.

It would be fantastic if Maldini decided too play on, he still easily one of the best defenders in the Serie A, and could play on for another season no problem.