PDA

View Full Version : No more Azzuri for Totti?

9nufc9
09-01-2007, 01:25 AM
AS Roma captain Francesco Totti has revealed he may have played his last game for the Italian national team.

Totti has not played for the Azzurri since winning the World Cup in Germany last year, and was left out of the squad for last November's friendly international draw against Turkey.

Italy coach Roberto Donadoni has not lost hope that Totti will return for the national team and help Italy qualify for Euro 2008, although the Roma captain remains sceptical.

"I still don't know whether I will return to the national team," Totti said.

"Between Donadoni and me there's no particular problem, but the final in Berlin could have been my last game with Italy."

Italy sit third in Euro 2008 qualifying Group B, two points behind France and Scotland.

The Azzurri's next competitive outing is at home against the Scots on March 28.

I think they'd definately miss him if he was to retire. Not a bad way to retire though, winning a WC in your last game.

He was left out of the squad for the Turkey game as the article said, who replaced him?

GOBati
09-01-2007, 11:00 AM
Yes it's not a bad way to retire, even if that wasn't the best match he ever played :(

But several players did the same in the past: they didn't play the qualification and then returned for the competition. Hope he will return for the Europeans Cup

Moravcik
09-01-2007, 12:02 PM
I think he will return, however maybe Scotland can sneek 2nd place and Italy don't have to worry about playing in Euro 2008? :P

GOBati
09-01-2007, 03:13 PM
I think he will return, however maybe Scotland can sneek 2nd place and Italy don't have to worry about playing in Euro 2008? :PYes I forgot to consider that possibility :)

9nufc9
09-01-2007, 10:59 PM
I think he will return, however maybe Scotland can sneek 2nd place and Italy don't have to worry about playing in Euro 2008? :P

I think it would be very good if Italy were to miss Euro 08 :wink:

Moravcik
10-01-2007, 12:16 AM

I think it would be very good if Italy were to miss Euro 08 :wink:

I agree, only if it was down to the Scots! :D

However, losing our manager Walter Smith to Rangers is really thrown a spanner in the works...

Boris
10-01-2007, 07:11 AM
Yeah i'm still quite...."angry" about the World Cup. You know if Australia had gotten a chance to go through with Guus Hiddink's plan and actually beaten Italy in extra time or shootout wouldn't that mean we probably won the World Cup on a technacality??

9nufc9
10-01-2007, 07:13 AM
No not really. Just means we were beaten, or 'cheated out' by the eventual World Champs.

GOBati
18-01-2007, 11:21 AM

I think it would be very good if Italy were to miss Euro 08 :wink:I think it too :) Without Totti there's no point supporting Italy, and i wasn't a big fan even with him..

Peter_rggu
19-01-2007, 12:59 AM
He is very discrepant man, but very talented. I will miss him if he really doesn't play anymore at his national team.

Boris
19-01-2007, 01:55 AM
I have never really been a fan of Italian football but the whole Grosso thing in the Australia game really pushed them off the edge for me...I still can't believe that someone would actually do that in a World Cup!