PDA

View Full Version : Wenger wants world-class stars

The General
27-06-2005, 11:28 AM
Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger has vowed to bring in two world-class players and keep his star men in a bid to reclaim the Premiership title.

The Gunners finished 12 points behind champions Chelsea last season but Wenger, who has been linked with a 14m move for Brazilian star Robinho, says that they will prise the title away from their west London rivals.

"I will win back our place at the top of that table by putting into action plans I have been working on," he told the News of the World. "It includes recruiting two world-class players to make us stronger."

The Frenchman is expected to sign Stuttgart midfielder Aleksander Hleb, while reports suggest that the Gunners boss has put in a bid for Santos striker Robinho.

The 21-year-old superstar has been courted by Real Madrid but the player's agent Juan Figer claims that Arsenal have now jumped to the front of the queue.

Wenger suggested that the players coming in may be dependent on any exits from Highbury but confirmed that Thierry Henry, Patrick Vieira and Robert Pires are going nowhere.

"There have been rumours about Thierry Henry and Barcelona," he added. "Of course I know about them but they're all just talk.

"They are rumours and they are unfounded and he isn't going anywhere. The same goes for Patrick. He will also stay with us for next season - as will Robert."

And if Wenger can add some top-quality stars to his settled squad, the Gunners should be pushing Chelsea all the way next season.

27-06-2005, 09:17 PM
Looks like we've completed the signing of the first 'world clas' player. Not sure Hleb is world class yet, but he is quite young and I'm sure he has the potential.

tobinho
30-06-2005, 02:37 PM
Hleb is world class, looks like Robinho has his heart set on Madrid, whilst Juve have also entered the race for him, offering to buy a 40% share in him and allowing him to complete his contract at Santos and move to italy the year Del Piero's contract expires. No idea who else arsenal might be buying though. Maybe a goal keeper or a striker, not many of those around though.

Mars_
30-06-2005, 05:36 PM
Totally agree, Hleb will be immense.

afc4life
04-07-2005, 12:44 PM
so do the fans :D [/img]