PDA

View Full Version : Tottenham To Get To Europe in 05/06 season?

joe.spurs.rule
29-06-2005, 04:45 PM
Your opinion? I think yes because we did come incredibly close this year and so far the squad looks better with the new signing Routledge.

afc4life
29-06-2005, 05:56 PM
nah cant see it, they would be useless anyway and will always be arsenal's shadow.

Big Jono
30-06-2005, 03:13 AM
Yea i think we will, its only a matter of time untill we start placing in the UEFA Cup spots year after year. Just like Boro and Newcastle have been doing in recent years. That is the the next step in spurs' development and it will happen this season.

After that we can only get better, with the top stars we have and the boat load of young raw talent we have at the club things are only going to improve.

afc4life - who would be useless on Europe?? Most Arsenal fans i know go strangely quiet when European competition is mentioned. Given the chance spurs could do well in Europe, atleast they have the capacity to change their style of play to suit the game or competition as it may be.

Arsenal are one-trick ponies and when it doesnt work (like in Europe) they dont have a plan B.

O Dogg
30-06-2005, 08:02 AM
Here Here for Jono.

I have a soft spot for Spurs. Used to have a love/hate relationship with my mates when I grew up. I was the only Man U fan amongst a load of Spurs fans. Obviously at the time, I detested them, but as Ive grown older, I look back and realise I have always admired Spurs. There has always been something about them. The Gazza's, Linekars, Klinnsman's etc. Now it is Defoe marching them onwards and upwards.

I still think at the moment they are missing that one magic player though. That could be the missing piece.

I would like to see Spurs get into the Uefa Cup. If Everton can make the Champions League, Spurs have a great chance.

The General
30-06-2005, 08:06 AM
They have a chance - I would love to see this squad - now full of young Endland players pitting their witts against the cream of European opposition!

fmadmin
30-06-2005, 08:30 AM
i can see Tottenham qualifying for Europe but i doubt yet whether they can survive beyond the 2nd round.

afc4life - who would be useless on Europe?? Most Arsenal fans i know go strangely quiet when European competition is mentioned. Given the chance spurs could do well in Europe, atleast they have the capacity to change their style of play to suit the game or competition as it may be.

Big Jono , I see above you have mentioned European competition , well being an Arsenal fan i can say ....`strangely quiet noise`...conner99 has left the room :)

30-06-2005, 10:05 AM
Spurs in Europe? What a sickening thought!

In all seriousness, you guys have got a good chance, but I don't think you'll quite make it yet. If you can keep hold of your good young players then I'm sure you'll be up there in a few years, as much as I hate to admit it.

afc4life
30-06-2005, 10:54 AM
Err whos in europe year after year??????? Thank u,ur team would be hopeless in europe just like they r in the league ur finish around mid table this season coming and lose keane to everton or sum1 this summer u watch.

Big Jono
30-06-2005, 01:02 PM
Exactly my point afc4life, Arsenal are in Europe year after year, and what have they acheived? Feck all! My point was that if spurs were given that many chances they would have been able to make something of it by now.

But our time will come, the end of mid-table obscurity is nigh!

is conner back in the room yet??? come back dude, didnt mean to make you uncomfortable, talking bout Europe and all :)

fmadmin
01-07-2005, 08:20 AM
yeah i`m back its ok now :) Watched a replay of our Cup Winners Cup victory over Parma , that should keep me going for a while .

Our problem has been defending , we can score but we have let in goals and that has cost us in Europe . Man Utd have not fared any better though , it is only their European Cup win in 1999 that
seperates us , but ok at least they did win it .
Will spurs get as many chances in Europe as Arsenal have had , that means finishing in the top six or seven each year which is unlikely .It is also much harder to win the Champions League than the Ueffa Cup .

Zed
01-07-2005, 08:54 AM
Dont know about the rest of you, but Im certainly impressed with signings Tottenham have done so far. Watch Teemu Tainio next season. Hes gonna be huge success, I reckon. Martin Jol is doing a great job and I would be surprised if Tottenham dont qualify for Europe.

afc4life
01-07-2005, 10:14 AM
Make summin of it? like wot get past the first round of the uefa cup then get knocked out by a team who nobodys ever heard of the only way ur lot will get there is if they scrape threw by the fair play league and wot an acheivement that is ...

Big Jono
01-07-2005, 11:28 AM
Yea im impressed with Jol's signings too (im not giving Arnesan credit anymore). I read a report today that said spurs are close to signing Stewart Downing for $6 million. That would be a great signing, he would fit straight into spurs. Would also be be a great help in qualifying for Europe!

O Dogg
01-07-2005, 04:27 PM
Yes they did have a bid for 6m turned down, and Middlebrough told them not to come back with another bid as they are not interested.

There is however talk about them going for Vieri ,;)

Sieg
01-07-2005, 04:49 PM
What is the point though? Even if Spurs did make it what chance would they have against the top Italian or German teams? Close to none, surely. So a bit of a moot point.

The only way English teams can succeed is by buying European players en masse like Liverpool did with Hamann, Baros, Luis Garcia, etc etc. Tottenham need more quality European players.

O Dogg
01-07-2005, 04:56 PM
But you need money in the bank for those sorts of players, and there is no doubt this period for spurs is rebuilding.

They are building a squad who can compete at the highest level, and good on them. By saying what is the point is a redicolous argument. That is like saying what is the point in any mid table team aiming to climb the table and qualify for Europe.

If spurs get into Europe, they will also earn gain more money, which will also be essential for rebuilding.

Sieg
01-07-2005, 05:00 PM
Spurs are building a team to compete at the highest level? Do Spurs really plan to take on teams the likes of AC Milan, Bayern Munich or Real Madrid? Surely that is the most ridiculous argument yet?

O Dogg
01-07-2005, 05:10 PM
Everton will be this season, so why shouldn't Spurs aim for the same thing?
Who would have predicted Everton would be facing these teams next year? Of course teams need to be aiming higher, otherwise they will never improve.

Sieg
01-07-2005, 07:06 PM
Yes and I guess the Faroe Islands should aim to win the World cup. People can aim for whatever they want, I thought we were realistically evaluating the team's chances to perform against the top teams.

If you think Everton will provide anything but another early exit statistic I think you are really mistaken.

O Dogg
01-07-2005, 07:27 PM
But what you have to see is that Everton are getting money from being in the Champions League. Everton are a huge club as far as tradition and history, and Moyes is clearly strengthening the squad each season. If he can continue to do this then why not? You would have said the very same thing about Liverpool a few seasons back when they were managed by houllier, however they ended up beating the likes of Milan, Chelsea, Juventus to win the tournament.

I think it is you that has been mistaken.

If you are also bringing up underdogs winning Major tournaments, then who would have thought Greece would have won Euro 2004? Would you have given them any chance before the tournament - I think you will find the answer as being no.

Of course Spurs can build a team that can compete against the best. It just takes time that's all.

Sieg
01-07-2005, 07:51 PM
I can honestly say I would not have said the same about Liverpool, under Houllier Liverpool got some great results. In addition Liverpool have a rather good European pedigree.

Everton has a long history, but mostly a history of failing to achieve in Europe, just as Spurs do.

I know even in Europe there are some surprise wins for smaller clubs, but that was when those teams had reall top players. Who do Spurs have?

As for Greece, there's no telling how far you can go with a German manager of course ,;-)

O Dogg
02-07-2005, 10:40 AM
lol you are such a biased German. You are amusing me though and I like your posts. Seems as though me and you have totally opposite views on about every single football discussion on this board. Maybe we should get our own Radio station and debate over the air with callers. Think we would make a fortune.

I still think your argument is flawed!

Sieg
05-07-2005, 03:29 PM
I may be biased but I think getting our own radio station is hardly a viable solution to this dialectic impasse. I am quite comfortable in predicting that Spurs will achieve little or nothing in Europe for the next 12 months.

O Dogg
05-07-2005, 05:07 PM
Next 12 months I will agree with you, what I dont agree with is the point you made about teams not aiming higher. If Spurs can bring in the talent, and improve their squad each season, there is no reason why they can't compete for European football.

Livor
05-07-2005, 05:30 PM
Err whos in europe year after year??????? Thank u,ur team would be hopeless in europe just like they r in the league ur finish around mid table this season coming and lose keane to everton or sum1 this summer u watch.

u maybe in Europe but u still havent won it yet ?

twmcat
05-07-2005, 09:26 PM
Don't let this year's fluke go to your head. Liverpool had great success twenty years ago or whatever, but the current team is nowhere near as good. Don't forget, you finished only 26 points from the bottom of the prem this year, 37 from the top.
The current Champ Lge format seems to help some teams who'd not normally have a chance but hinder those who would.
As a Gooner, I'd say that if Spurs get into Europe, they may be just as jammy as Liverpool.

jonny van goober
08-07-2005, 09:01 AM
[Member is IP Banned]

Sieg
08-07-2005, 10:06 PM
>If Spurs can bring in the talent, and improve their squad each season, there is no reason why they can't compete for European football.

Except that they do not appear to be able to do so, at least on a level which would augur well to face the likes of Bayern, Milan or Real Madrid.

Aiming high can also lead to depression when objectives are not met. Spurs should be more realistic in their ambitions, perhaps something like finishing in the middle region of the Premiership is more appropriate for them.