PDA

View Full Version : UK and Ireland Cup ?

O'Deep
22-02-2007, 06:34 PM
I have always been interested in the UK and Ireland part of the World... especially for football. I was thinking about a UK and Ireland Cup !

There would be 5 teams in that tournament: Ireland, Northern Ireland, England, Scotland and Wales. There would be only one group and every team would face each other once. The tournament would last two weeks and would be held in a pre-designated country part of the UK... or in Ireland.

Finally, the two best teams would face each other in a match to decide who will be the ''UK and Ireland Champion''.

P.S. The tournament would be held every year where there is no WC or no Euro, if not it would be too much for the players and the associations, etc...

Darren Addick
23-02-2007, 09:18 AM
Well to be honest and with all due respect Wales and the 2 Irish teams are not really in the same grade as the English Prem and Scottish Prem so it would be a bit like England Vs Faroe Islands or San Marino, something like that. Although there is room for shocks but not sure about the viability of the idea.

O'Deep
23-02-2007, 04:44 PM
Well to be honest and with all due respect Wales and the 2 Irish teams are not really in the same grade as the English Prem and Scottish Prem so it would be a bit like England Vs Faroe Islands or San Marino, something like that. Although there is room for shocks but not sure about the viability of the idea.

Well, Northern Ireland beat England on Wednesday, September 7th 2005... and I will NEVER forget that game !

Concerning Ireland, the majority of their players are in the EPL... so I don't think we can compare them to the Faroe Islands...

Wales... I don't know them that much... they have Ryan Giggs... at least ! Actually, I don't think it's enough !

twmcat
25-02-2007, 10:44 PM
The last time we had a home international tournament, with 4 out of those 5 countries you mention O'Deep, (excluding Irish Republic then), Northern Ireland won it.

Please ignore posts by Englishmen who think they are superior ,;)

Moravcik
25-02-2007, 11:04 PM
I have always been interested in the UK and Ireland part of the World... especially for football. I was thinking about a UK and Ireland Cup !

There would be 5 teams in that tournament: Ireland, Northern Ireland, England, Scotland and Wales. There would be only one group and every team would face each other once. The tournament would last two weeks and would be held in a pre-designated country part of the UK... or in Ireland.

Finally, the two best teams would face each other in a match to decide who will be the ''UK and Ireland Champion''.

P.S. The tournament would be held every year where there is no WC or no Euro, if not it would be too much for the players and the associations, etc...

It's not the worst idea ive ever heard mate, i think that it would be extremely competitive, more so than the meaningless and passionless friendlies the home nations usually play.

I think it would be the closest thing, entencity wise to an actual tournament, and would benefit all the home nations in the long term.

Darren Addick
26-02-2007, 10:56 AM
I don't think im superior its a fact and its a fact that o'deep and backed up by saying, and I quote

Concerning Ireland, the majority of their players are in the EPL... so I don't think we can compare them to the Faroe Islands...

Thats my point the majority of your excellent players are with teams in england and are used to playing at a far higher level. But as I said there is room for shocks as in any competition, I just dont see the worth. The rivalry is so much better because we all dont get too much opportunity to play eachother so when we do its better!