PDA

View Full Version : Rafa Nadal, new number one

Raul
28-04-2007, 09:08 PM
Rafa Nadal has just become the best tennis player in 2007, overtaking Roger Federer after winning today his 71st consecutive victory on clay against David Ferrer and getting his passport to the final of thew Godo tournament, which will take place tomorrow (Nadal VS Caņas).

I think this will be an interesting year considering Federer has improved on clay (And Roland Garros will start in a month more or less) and Nadal has also improved on grass (He got to the final last year in Wimbleddon). Let's see if finally someone can face Federer...

Conaldinho
28-04-2007, 09:13 PM
You mean he's now number one in the World Rankings or hes just the best for this year?

It should be interesting but I still cant see anyone beating Nadal on clay or Federer on grass, both are just too good!

Raul
28-04-2007, 10:40 PM
There are two rankings if I'm not wrong: ATP (general ranking, where Federer is leading it by far) and annual ranking (it determines the best player of the moment, which is the one Nadal is leading now).

So, in other words, it's like the least important out of those two, but it's something to mention because Federer has kept both 1st positions for years :)

Leo
29-04-2007, 07:25 PM
Well he is my idol hes just truely amazing:

Rafael Nadal became only the second player to win the Barcelona Open three times in a row after beating Guillermo Canas 6-3 6-4 in Sunday's final.
One break in each set was enough to give Nadal victory and help the Spaniard emulate the achievements of former world number one Mats Wilander.

Victory over Argentine Canas also extended Nadal's record-winning streak on clay to 72 matches.

The world number two has now won 20 career titles, 15 of them on clay.

Canas came into the final with a 21-4 record for the season, including a title in Brazil and a final in Miami, but that meant little against a player who has now beaten him three times.

Nadal has not lost on clay since April 2005 and it never looked likely here.

rkredslfc
30-04-2007, 08:45 PM
yeah if the whole season was on clay he'd win but fed still better on every other surface.

Leo
01-05-2007, 03:50 PM
I'd say they are theoretically equal because Federer dominates on grass where as they are both more or less equal on hard court and Nadal just rips apart people on clay

rkredslfc
04-06-2007, 09:09 PM
Yeah what about how Federer took time off after Oz Open.

smithy
05-06-2007, 12:13 PM
What does that have to do with anything ?

MarbleChips
06-06-2007, 06:20 PM
federer beat nadal on clay hamburg federer is still number 1

Agent Smith
06-06-2007, 06:41 PM
Raul meant Nadal is the best so far in 2007, which is true
- he leads the ATP 2007 Race.

Federer is still no.1 in the world, leading the ATP Ranking.

Personally I rate the Ranking more than the Race ,8)

MarbleChips
06-06-2007, 10:03 PM
uh ok sorry about that