PDA

View Full Version : Coaching badge.

jamesp_1927
19-06-2007, 10:04 PM
Right, well I'm only 16 but I really want to be a football coach or manager when I am older.

The problem is I dont know where I can book the level of coaching badges. Could anybody direct me in the right place please.

Also what should I be prepared for, for the first badge ?

Thanks,

James

JackP
20-06-2007, 12:32 PM
Hi James, welcome to the board.

I'll try and give you some advice, best thing about advice is you can take it or leave it, but this is my thoughts:

Firstly, go to and then look for "Coach Education"...give them a call and you will be sent in the right direction.

Your first badge is the FA Coaching Football Level 1 (1st4Sport). This is approx 99percent passrate - basically, turn up for every session (4 in total usually) and you will pass. It's very easy, too easy probably. It's done over 2 weekends or 4 days intensive.

Last bit of advice would be don't go into football expecting to be a Manager. I've Managed Semi Pro and only got there through years of coaching experience. That's how it works. Also, know that Coaching and Management are 100percent different, if you are an excellent coach you are not neccessarily going to be a good manager. Think realistically and sustainably, get yourself on a local course and get as much experience as you can.

Hope this helps,

jamesp_1927
20-06-2007, 07:57 PM
Thanks mate that really has helped.

James.

craigleedscityvixens
20-06-2007, 08:38 PM
Hi James,
well your joining the tuff old world of been a football coach.Dont let that put you off by the way.
If anyone could dream of what they wanted to be when they get older not many people would say football coach but these days it happens.
Ill be straight with you know.
It takes patience,understanding,commitment and hard work to coach.
Not just for the fact its time consuming but the pay isnt great and never will be unless you get in somewhere as a pro.
The problem with top coaches is most of them are ex pro footballers which is what makes the job so difficult.
One thing I will say is theres no better feeling than watching somebody come through the ranks because of the way you have coached them.
Go watch your local teams train etc just to get ideas and also try and get on at a football in the community programme,they do YTS for your age at all pro clubs.I started at Bradford City aged 28 and had to do voluntary for 6 months but ive now built up a good portfolio and I have work offered to me all the time instead of chasing work.
Good luck and dont let this put you off its just so you dont get a shock!!

jamesp_1927
21-06-2007, 01:47 PM
Thanks mate. I know what Im in for as my dad is friends with Cardiff City coach Paul Wilkinson. And I have had many chats with him.

Ive dreamed of being a footballer or a coach all my life, and I now am ready to make it a reality. When I was younger I used to play football for the Urdd and throughout that time, I was trained by Gary Lewis, who was at the time head youth coach of Cardiff. He then got the Cardiff youth coaches to train us, so I have always been used to proper training, so I have a good idea of how to coach.

I beleive I have a good understanding of football and next year for my A levels I am taking sports psychology which Im hoping will help me understand more of the players brain.

jamesp_1927
21-06-2007, 04:29 PM
Another question I forgot to ask.

JackP said to contact my local FA. I live in Cardiff, how do I find my local FA ?

JackP
21-06-2007, 05:29 PM
There you go mate, Cardiff's football development officer.

Good luck.

jamesp_1927
21-06-2007, 07:11 PM
Thanks very much mate.

Really appreciate the help and advice.

Is this the course I am looking to do 'FAW Coach Educator Award Level One' ?

JackP
21-06-2007, 10:39 PM
Nope, that is for tutors who teach the other coaches, the ones who give out the badges.

This sounds right

It's a bit different from England, we have 1st4sport level One, Two, Three and Four as the main badges. Just phone/email the geezer and tell him you are looking to do your first coaching badge and that you aren't too experienced yet so want to start at the first hurdle, that's the best way of doing things.

YoBBo
21-06-2007, 10:50 PM
was thinking about asking the same thing as u james coz all the other ppl who asked are from england, but since u asked i just read what they told u and its helped me Thnx :D

I am thinking about starting getting in2 coaching but on the link it says get in touch with ur football development officer, how do i contact the nearset officer to me as i dont no ne?

YoBBo
21-06-2007, 10:55 PM
dw i no about the officer thing know just wasnt looking properly my bad

jamesp_1927
23-06-2007, 08:22 PM
Thanks for all the help boys.

I have now booked myself down for the first coaching badge on August the 11th. Cost me 20 my football club paid the other 20. I have also been given permission to help out coaching the under 9's from next Thursday !

JackP
23-06-2007, 09:11 PM
Good man James.

From the tinyest seed...

Best of luck with your coaching.

jamesp_1927
23-06-2007, 09:21 PM
Thanks mate.

What would your best tips for me be to be succesfull at under 9's level ?

JackP
24-06-2007, 12:10 AM
There's only one really. Make your number 1 aim for the players to enjoy themselves.

Competition is healthy but not neccessay at U9's level. If they and you enjoy it AND learn from it, you have it spot on. Fun drills where they all get a touch of the ball and an opporunity to show their skills (they like that kind of competition) and your onto a winner.