PDA

View Full Version : Too Many Topics?

tdv
12-03-2008, 05:22 PM
Is it just me or is there way too many topics in here that should be in other sections?

EastEndGooner
12-03-2008, 06:37 PM
It seems they are trying something new, automatic new threads from news stories in the database.
I'm not sure it is a good idea though. Surely people want to discuss what they think is important. This will just drive threads they are interested in onto a new page.

Ben91
12-03-2008, 07:45 PM
Yeah, far too many. Especially if there's this many each day.

And most should be in other sections anyway.

EDIT: I didn't realise the extent of this, i thought the topics on the page were the same ones i'd seen from this morning - but on closer inspection, they've been pushed onto another page and there's an entirely new batch! It's madness.

Barbarash
12-03-2008, 07:46 PM
Do you realise this thread is taking up valuable room...

J-Axe
12-03-2008, 07:54 PM
It's ridiculous.

I looked at the amount of threads that aren't on topic or start off without much detail and just blanked them out. I'm not replying to any of those.

Ben91
12-03-2008, 07:57 PM
None of them have anything written in for me. :? Or at least not the ones that i've looked in...

J-Axe
12-03-2008, 08:06 PM
s'Pleasure.

EastEndGooner
12-03-2008, 11:32 PM
I doubt it will carry on like this, as they are testing it now and there are only so many new articles. It may run on a crontab eventually so new threads every hour or so.

ForcaSLB
12-03-2008, 11:40 PM
I doubt it will carry on like this, as they are testing it now and there are only so many new articles. It may run on a crontab eventually so new threads every hour or so.

Think twice mate yesterday was the same! It was driving me mad :evil:

They are really anoying but its just part of some kind of test done by the tech guys it should be over soon so be patient! :wink:

Ben91
13-03-2008, 03:39 PM
What sort of test?

mont`
13-03-2008, 03:45 PM
What sort of test?

A test of our patience and commitment to the forum? :)

fmadmin
13-03-2008, 04:26 PM
as Eastendgooner has said ....the topics you are noticing in General Football are the result of a new automated system the tech guys are trying out . This is for the benefit of the forum and is to generate more interest in our site and make it bigger and better for everyone . If it does not work then they will find out soon enough ..in the meantime carry on as normal ..

Thank You

Dean

-Dave-
13-03-2008, 04:46 PM
Dean? :?

yidomatt
13-03-2008, 04:53 PM
:?

Flipper
13-03-2008, 04:57 PM
dean = conn :?

O Dogg
13-03-2008, 06:34 PM
Guys - I will explain.

Firstly they are not automated messages. Each news article will now have a link at the end of it saying "have your say". Any person browsing the main website may read any of the news stories, and if they feel strongly enough to want to comment, they can then click the "have your say" button which will then generate a new topic on the forum for that person to then start off a topic to discuss that news story.

Unfortunately we have had some teething problems, and search engine bots such as google crawl through the site and go through each link. As they have been browsing through, they have activated the "have your say" links on the news stories, causing it to generate these topics on the forum - hence why we have some very out of date stories being posted.

This is being looked into and will be resolved. Once this is all sorted out, I am sure you will agree that this will be a great new addition to the site, bringing in more users to the forum also. As these new posts will only be activated by real people, then you will find that only news stories worth discussing will have topics created for them.

Hope this helps clear up any confusion.

mont`
13-03-2008, 06:59 PM
Nice one O Dogg - that sounds like a decent idea.

Automated topic creating would've been ridiculous, so I'm glad that's not what's going to be happening. If the topics are only activated by somebody who genuinely wants to discuss that news story, then I can't see a problem at all; there won't be nearly as many new topics being created as there are at the moment, which is a relief.

yidomatt
13-03-2008, 11:56 PM
I still don't understand the Dean part :?

twmcat
14-03-2008, 12:06 AM
I know it's difficult, but Conn's name is actually Dean.

I have met him a few times, and keep wanting to call him Conn every time :lol:

yidomatt
14-03-2008, 12:40 AM
Soooo confusing!
Why the conner99 then?
You have some serious explaining to do Dean, if that is your real name.

twmcat
14-03-2008, 01:08 AM
Soooo confusing!
Why the conner99 then?
Come and meet Dean at a footie game - he's a nice guy, and usually doesn't practice his karate (black belt, 3rd dan) on Spurs fans ,;)

Flipper
14-03-2008, 05:26 AM
Soooo confusing!
Why the conner99 then?

because nobody uses real names for online usernames.. well.. except matt.. of course.. lol..

Come and meet Dean at a footie game - he's a nice guy, and usually doesn't practice his karate (black belt, 3rd dan) on Spurs fans ,;)

how can you be sure?.. hahahaha..

O Dogg
14-03-2008, 08:14 AM
My real name is O Dogg.

Big Jono
14-03-2008, 08:36 AM
My real name is O Dogg.

http://sillydad.com/silly/wp-content/uploads/2007/06/wigger-15513.jpg

O Dogg
14-03-2008, 08:51 AM
Hi Sticky

fmadmin
14-03-2008, 06:01 PM
Soooo confusing!
Why the conner99 then?

i wanted to use Deanoson ...nickname at Karate ...but the registration would not let me at the time ...so then i thought of using a character from the Tv show Angel ....the vampire guy Angle had as on called Conner ...so i chose that ...no idea why i added 99 to the end ...maybe plain Conner had been use already .

Big Jono
14-03-2008, 06:03 PM
Deanoson would have been cooler

Conaldinho
14-03-2008, 11:12 PM
Plus it would have allowed me to change to my real name instead of this ridiculous one ive got now!

twmcat
15-03-2008, 12:04 AM
Yes - but a bit late now I suppose.

Maybe you could change your name to Dean, and we could all be confused :D

EastEndGooner
15-03-2008, 03:53 PM
I see you still have this problem. Can't you add a simple validation?

if(strlen($post) == 0) {

Do Nothing

} else {

Add New Thread

}

Or maybe use a method like the osCommerce spiders.txt

yidomatt
16-03-2008, 06:47 PM
My feedback...

I don't like the new automated system. It is bringing up far too many pointless topics. As someone has already mentioned, if people want to talk about it, a topic will be created. Things coming up now are pointless. I've just seen 2 articles from the Carling Cup final in the Spurs section. We have all discussed that already. If people want to read interviews or reports, they will go on the sky sports website, or BBC or something like that. It is just filling up pages with unnecessary drivel.

YoBBo
16-03-2008, 06:58 PM
Yeh and also its added threads like the one in the Spurs section about, " Spurs player Carrick hoping for England call up "

That is 2 years old news now.

yidomatt
16-03-2008, 07:01 PM
It has been tried and tested, but I think it should be put down as a failure.
Fair play for trying new ideas. The customise forum one worked, but this idea, no.

Hoop45
16-03-2008, 07:51 PM
It is still experiencing a few early teething problems, but it is improving definitely with topics being put in the right sections. I know there are still old topics but I am sure that will be sorted.

EastEndGooner
16-03-2008, 08:51 PM
My feedback...

I don't like the new automated system. It is bringing up far too many pointless topics. As someone has already mentioned, if people want to talk about it, a topic will be created. Things coming up now are pointless. I've just seen 2 articles from the Carling Cup final in the Spurs section. We have all discussed that already. If people want to read interviews or reports, they will go on the sky sports website, or BBC or something like that. It is just filling up pages with unnecessary drivel.

It isn't automated, it is Googlebot etc that is starting the threads. Once the techies have stopped that happening, these pointless threads won't appear.

Another way round it would be to have the link available to logged in users only. The bots won't see it then.

yidomatt
16-03-2008, 11:14 PM
Whatever it is, I don't like it.

fmadmin
17-03-2008, 10:16 AM
i think they are trying to break us into submission ....... :wink:

yidomatt
18-03-2008, 01:48 PM
It's getting worse!
Please get rid of this ASAP.

O Dogg
18-03-2008, 02:07 PM
Guys - there is work ongoing.
This will improve over the next few days.

yidomatt
18-03-2008, 02:19 PM
On first viewing I think it was better when we could choose what we wanted to discuss ourselves.

O Dogg
18-03-2008, 02:25 PM
The whole idea behind this is so that new users can chose what they want to discuss also. As mentioned above, the reason these new topics are being auto generated is because of google bots crawling the site - activating the discuss this topic button...

Once we sort that, it will only be done by real live people. So topics will not be posted unless someone actually logs in and clicks the option to discuss the news artical.

There is a lot of work going on in the background to make the site more user friendly. At the moment, because the work is being done, we will have some teething problems - unfortunately we cannot avoid this for the time being.

fmadmin
18-03-2008, 03:33 PM
just wondered though , how does this live person know that the subject is not already being discussed . I mean the Birmingham v Newcastle thread for example ... we have a new member clicking on our story
Keegan: Owen is world-class on the front page . I would consider that to be not really necessary as a new thread .. ?

O Dogg
18-03-2008, 03:39 PM
Of course there will be times where we get pointless topics still being made - but we get that anyway by certain members already on the forum.

As for duplicate topics, we will have to deal with them on an individual basis.

fmadmin
18-03-2008, 04:11 PM
ok...sorry if i seem to be criticizing this new system , i was just thinking if new members click on these links and make new threads that are not really needed it defeats the whole point of asking them to `have their say`

if i were a new member i would be thinking `first they say `have you say` then a mod comes along and deletes the thread saying the topic can be discussed here .

Know what i mean ....you can tell me to shut up if you like ... :wink:

Big Revolution
18-03-2008, 05:46 PM
Yes too many topics being opened at the same time and this makes it for members hard to keep up to them :wink:

Big Revolution
18-03-2008, 05:47 PM
Yes too many topics are being opened at the same time and this makes it for members hard to keep up to them :wink:

O Dogg
18-03-2008, 06:45 PM
Why have you quoted yourself?

As for your post Conner, I agree which is why we will not be deleting the genuine topics. We will have to wait and see what happens.

EastEndGooner
18-03-2008, 07:10 PM
I would have thought when this system is fully working, it will check to see if a thread has already been started.

Big Revolution
18-03-2008, 09:31 PM
Why have you quoted yourself?

As for your post Conner, I agree which is why we will not be deleting the genuine topics. We will have to wait and see what happens.

I haven't quoted myself mate but I couldn't understand exactly what happened :sad:

KimKallstrom
25-03-2008, 06:19 AM
I don't think it's so bad.At least this way the forum will get more Google hits and you can tell the pointless threads a mile off by checking the username before you open it.

I think the main complaint for me is that some threads that are being posted on will fall out of sight into the previous page for will need bumping just for the sake of it.

Sticky T
25-03-2008, 06:01 PM

That's just weird... why would a Dean, call himself Connor? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Anyway Cool Cat, who haven't you met up with? You seem to have met up with everyone. I didn't even know it was common on here...

I wonder why... :cry:

twmcat
26-03-2008, 11:22 PM
I don't think it's so bad.At least this way the forum will get more Google hits and you can tell the pointless threads a mile off by checking the username before you open it.

I think the main complaint for me is that some threads that are being posted on will fall out of sight into the previous page for will need bumping just for the sake of it.
These might not be a problem when it gets sorted so that old posts don't get posted - like the one I got rid of yesterday from 2005 :lol:
If only current ones get posted, it should be ok and get some debates started.

twmcat
26-03-2008, 11:47 PM

That's just weird... why would a Dean, call himself Connor? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Anyway Cool Cat, who haven't you met up with? You seem to have met up with everyone. I didn't even know it was common on here...

I wonder why... :cry:
I've got to know a lot of members going to women's footie - it's more relaxed, and smaller crowds for most games mean you can easily spot any member who has posted or sent you a pic.

There are members who go to these games I've not yet met, but people I have met know them from games they have been to etc.

Everyone is very friendly, so if you want to go to a women's game you will be made very welcome by any members here that will be at a game.

Just let one of us know if you fancy going; you live near London, so I'm sure shlj (and others, but shlj goes to so many games) would be happy to meet you at a game.
I went to a game, spotted him and said hello, and we are now good mates I think.

I'll just mention that we're not all just obsessed with women's footie - for instance I expect to meet someone at Everton Ladies on Sunday who has a season ticket for a men's team in Yorkshire.
And - I've followed Arsenal men for over 50 years.

I know I'm off topic here, but I just want members like Sticky to realise that they have no reason to feel left out, and there is no real section to invite people to join us at games etc.

Just out of interest - I'm awaiting 6 tickets to arrive for present and ex-members for Women's FA final - and that it just one group of us.
There will be others there ,8)