PDA

View Full Version : Football training

The General
04-11-2005, 07:42 AM
Who goes to a football training session or sessions weekly?

What are the coaches like?

Do you go for enjoyment or to improve your game?

oranjepalooza
09-11-2005, 05:15 PM
Well, my interest lies in what type of drills others perform. Since I coach a 8-9 yr old boys team, I'm always looking for new and interesting drills for the boys.

One of the newer ones for me is 2 lines of players sitting with there backs to the goal, maybe 30 yards out, with a keeper in goal. The coach is in between the 2 lines and tosses a ball in the direction of the goal, the players closet to the goal in each if the 2 lines get up and chase down the ball, the first one to get the ball attempts to score while the other becomes the defender. Of course the keeper is encouraged to be totally involved as well.

I realize it may be hard to vizualize, but hopefully yo get the idea.

Please, if anyone has something to offer as far as drills go, I would greatly appreciate it. :D

O Dogg
09-11-2005, 05:27 PM
We had a similar drill in rugby, but obviously there was no keeper ,;)

Another good drill to improve dribbling skills is to have 2 players of similar pace. Set one off ahead of the other with a shirt or something hanging out of his shorts. Both players will dribble their way up the pitch. The player behind the first player has to try and dribble, whilst attempting to catch up the first player and take the shirt from his shorts.

It is difficult to visulise that one, but I think its a good learning technique for younger players to improve control and dribbling.

oranjepalooza
09-11-2005, 05:37 PM
Thanks, I will jot that down and have a go with it..... :wink:

O Dogg
09-11-2005, 07:01 PM
If I can think of anymore, you will be the first to know.
Anyone playing for a team, maybe you can share some of your teams training drills. This could be a fantastic topic to bounce ideas off each other.

IronCougar
11-11-2005, 01:28 PM
I'm coaching u8's at the moment and one of the drills i find useful and great fun is sharks and minnows.

Each player has a ball inside a large square (minnows), except a couple of players who lurk around the outside of the square (they are the sharks). The players inside have to dribble around avoiding each other. When the coach shouts Shark Attack, the sharks can enter the square and try to tackle some of the minnows. If the ball is touched by the shark, they swap places, the new shark has to exit the square. It's good cos the minnows improve their dribbling, and keep their heads up, the sharks improve their tackling and best of all...it's fun!!

oranjepalooza
11-11-2005, 02:07 PM
Thanks......We do that same drill, but it's called Sharks and Guppies....Is a minnow and guppie the same?

Hey IronCougar, good to hear from a first timer, how about going to the Newcomers section and introducing yourself so we all can welcome you..... :wink:

Steven2005
09-12-2005, 01:02 AM
I'll admit I am crap at football I always wished I had coaching when I was younger but at 24 I think its to late to join a team especially when u play crap lol.

Whats the best way to tackle someone when they have there back to you and are shielding the ball. My mate does this all the time and I just cant seem to get the ball of him because everytime I try to go in front of him he quickly turns.

General football coaching tips needed how do people manage to keep the ball up so long everytime I do it the ball bounces miles away? lol. Finally when shooting the ball from a distance in a one on one situation whats the best part of the foot to kick from? when I do it the ball goes sky high or a banana shot sometimes worse than that lol

jamesp_1927
09-12-2005, 03:57 PM
Well to start off with, never tackle from behind. Allways tackle when the player is facing you but try and stand him up so you dont make a slide tackle and make him go away from goal so take him wide.

Next about the keep ups, its all about control and first touch try and keep youre foot straight and kick the ball with youre laces and dont lean back to far.

For the shooting the best technique if you want to drive the ball home strike with the lace of youre shoe, if a place then the side of the foot. And if you are skiying the ball constantly try to lean over the ball a bit more, not too much just try not to be leaning back so far.

oranjepalooza
09-12-2005, 05:25 PM
Also remember, if you shoot with your right foot, your left foot should then be planted next to the ball when yopu shoot, and your right knee should almost be above the ball so your leg acts as if it's hinged and you should follow through as well......

TheStriker
10-12-2005, 12:42 AM
I'm currently in the process of preparing to put together a coaching manual for next season. I've been coaching for a few years, mainly teams of 12-15 year old boys. I may have a few drills to share.

oranjepalooza
10-12-2005, 02:28 AM
we would love to hear what you have to say!

jen87
15-12-2005, 12:35 PM
Each player has a ball inside a large square (minnows), except a couple of players who lurk around the outside of the square (they are the sharks). The players inside have to dribble around avoiding each other. When the coach shouts Shark Attack, the sharks can enter the square and try to tackle some of the minnows. If the ball is touched by the shark, they swap places, the new shark has to exit the square. It's good cos the minnows improve their dribbling, and keep their heads up, the sharks improve their tackling and best of all...it's fun!!

this drill is a fantastic warm up for kids, getting them thinking with their football heads, and of course gets them warmed up.

[/quote]We do that same drill, but it's called Sharks and Guppies....Is [quote]

i think its got loads of names, i call it sharks and fishes, some call it cat and mouse, same idea though really.

i coach two teams one boys 8-9 yr olds and a girls team so wen i have abit more time i'll share some of my drills with you, would be great for me if anyone else has any to share, as i bet u all know with kids of that age the key is keeping them interested so u tend to go through a hell of a lot of drills. :D

yeek
23-12-2005, 06:57 AM
I observe the soccer team in my college and they have this drill. they put four players inside the D. the three players try to stand as far apart as possible, and the fourth guy acts as a defender. the defender tries to steal the ball away from the other three as they pass the ball about. The purpose is to develop not only quick passing but accuracy in a very very small area.

another drill i saw is great for improving the players volleying and long range shots.

I hope this turns out right.

---------------------------GOAL----------------------------
----------|--------|-------------------|--------|-------------
----------|--------|-------------------|--------|-------------
----------|--------|===========|-------|-------------
----------|-------------------------------------|-------------
----------======================-----------
------------------O---------o-------------------------------
-------------------------------------X----------------------

Players form a queue marked by the X. A free player stands at the capital O poisition. The first player in the queue passes the ball to the player at O position who in turn lay off the ball at small "o" position. then the original player would have to volley it to get the ball into the goal. Drill can be performed with/without keeper. As players get better, the drill can be modified for more advanced play (i.e. X chips the ball to O who heads it down to the position marked o and then volleys). After the volley, X goes to the O position and then the original player at O joins the queue.

rams4ever
13-01-2006, 07:53 PM
i play for a under 15 team and we had a similar drill were they is 2 lines of teams and they have to sprint to get the ball and the first who gets it is the attacket while the other is the defender and they is a goalie

soccernut
18-01-2006, 10:55 PM
here is one .... you need to teams ...one of 5 players and one with 3 players

the 5 player team
4 players are positioned in corners of a good size square...they stay in place
1 anywhere inside the square...free to move around

the 3 player team goes inside the square....free to move

start with the posession with the 5 player team...the 3 player team has to try and get the ball from the other team....once they get it ..the one player inside will try and win it back ...

i had a lot of fun with this drill...you can make the square larger or smaller depending on the skill level or you can make it one or two touch football. encourages passing and finding the open man quick

rik1276
21-01-2006, 04:04 PM
Especially with kids football, anything that teaches them how to use space and think quickly. There was a good 5v2 where you cannot pass to the same person twice in a row, so this makes another player have to come and support. Limit it from 3 touches, 2 touches and then to 1 touch as the players get better at this.

They will learn about using space and supporting their players. Along with talking to each other.