PDA

View Full Version : Capital One Cup - Quarter Finals - 2013/14

Hams
30-10-2013, 11:25 PM
The tie will be played in the week commencing December 16.

Quarter-final draw

Leicester City v Manchester City

Stoke City v Manchester United

Sunderland v Chelsea

Tottenham Hotspur v West Ham United

Its a fix!

Pickleman1967
31-10-2013, 06:01 AM
I'd say Spurs vs West Ham is the pick of the ties, I can already see the sports writers making it a AVB vs Big Sam tactical battle after the last time we played each other. I'm sure West Ham will come to The Lane with their tails up after the 0-3 drubbing they handed us last time. Really interesting to see if Allerdyce goes with the strikerless formation again, and if AVB can work out how to deal with it this time...

Seamus
31-10-2013, 07:11 PM
Would have preferred a home draw but we have a good record against Stoke at the Brittania and following a 4-0 win im sure we will head into this game in a nice frame of mind.

Hams
06-11-2013, 11:01 PM
Sunderland will now play Chelsea at home in the quarter finals after winning 2-1 at home against Southampton.

Quarter-final draw

Leicester City v Manchester City

Stoke City v Manchester United

Sunderland v Chelsea

Tottenham Hotspur v West Ham United

Any more thoughts on the draw?

Hams
03-12-2013, 04:32 PM
These 2 games will be live on Sky.

Tue 17th Dec Sunderland v Chelsea Capital One Cup Quarter Final 19:45 Sky Sports 1 / Sky Sports 1 HD

Wed 18th Dec Stoke City v Man Utd Capital One Cup Quarter Final 19:45 Sky Sports 1 / Sky Sports 1 HD

Its a shame that they didn't pick the Spurs v West Ham match.

Hams
17-12-2013, 09:31 PM
Results

Leicester City 1-3 Manchester City

Sunderland 2-1 Chelsea

I'm not sure how Chelsea lost that game but Sunderland are through to the semi finals along with Man City!

Pickleman1967
18-12-2013, 06:48 AM
Another unexpected defeat for Chelsea? Oh dear, Mourinho may be the next big profile manager in the dock if Arsenal win at the weekend.
If I was a West Ham fan, I'd have rather AVB stay in place for tonight's game as all the pressure and questions about his competency would be on his shoulders, which often seems to influence the mentality of the players. As it is Spurs will play with freedom, and may even line up 4-4-2, so a really interesting match in prospect. I'm forecasting a 3-1 Spurs win.

Hams
18-12-2013, 08:36 AM
I don't really mind if we lose to Spurs in tonights match as it is far more important for us to stay up in the Premier League.

Hams
18-12-2013, 06:50 PM
TEAMS:

Tottenham:
Lloris; Walker, Chiriches, Capoue, Rose; Lennon, Dembele, Sigurdsson, Townsend; Adebayor, Defoe.

SUBS: Friedel, Fredericks, Fryers, Chadli, Eriksen, Holtby, Soldado

West Ham United:
Adrian, O'Brien, Rat, Collins (c), McCartney, Diarra, Taylor, Collison, J.Cole, Jarvis, C.Cole.

SUBS: Jaaskelainen, Noble, Diame, Demel, Morrison, Maiga, Chambers.

Pickleman1967
18-12-2013, 07:29 PM
4-4-2 and Spurs look a lot more balanced and threatening going forward in the first half. Much more pace, much more like a Spurs team. I wonder if sacked managers ever tune in to watch their former club's next game? If so AVB must be thinking 'Christ, I wish I had tried that!'
I'm not so sure the classic 4-4-2 will work against the big boys, but it seems to be giving the Hammers plenty to think about.

Hams
18-12-2013, 07:37 PM
HT

Spurs 0-0 West Ham

I'm not sure how Tottenham are not already 2 or 3 ahead as they completely dominated the first half

Did the Hammers even get into Spurs half?

specnur
18-12-2013, 08:20 PM
Spurs v West Ham - night game, both sets of supporters relatively angry, weakened teams for both clubs...

i think we'll be hearing and reading more about off the field shenanigans on Thursday morning than anything that occurs on the pitch.

:lol: :lol:
i can't wait!

on another note ,you don't hit them much harder than Young did for that goal.

Pickleman1967
18-12-2013, 08:36 PM
Fair play, a fine win by West Ham. I think we lost it with the forced changes to the formation. I don't want Sherwood as a permanent manager, so the defeat might not be that bad!

Hams
18-12-2013, 08:44 PM
FT

Tottenham 1-2 West Ham

Stoke 0-2 Man Utd

Hams
18-12-2013, 08:45 PM
How West Ham have managed to win 2-1 away at Tottenham is a miracle and even Modibo Maiga scored a goal!!!

I'm lost for words :lol:

Seamus
18-12-2013, 09:48 PM
Congrats to West Ham and I hope they thump City in the Semis!. Happy to get Sunderland in the semis . They didn't look devastating against the Chavs and only started to push in extra time. I am feeling confident about reaching the finals.

Hams
19-12-2013, 09:45 AM
Thanks Seamus

Its a shame that we can't play Spurs every week!

The best bit of the game for me last night was when Collins tried to chip the Tottenham keeper from the half way line!

It was a strange decision by Tim Sherwood to bring off Adebayor when they were 1-0 ahead as he was playing very well.

Big Sam's substitutions helped to change the game in our favour with the introductions of Diame and Morrison.

I don't remember the last time the Hammers had back to back wins at WHL but I'll take it!

Hams
19-12-2013, 09:48 AM
Going back to the Stoke v Man Utd match do you think the referee was right to take the players off during that hail storm?

Hams
19-12-2013, 09:48 AM
Thanks Seamus

The best bit of the game for me last night was when Collins tried to chip the Tottenham keeper from the half way line!

It was a strange decision by Tim Sherwood to bring off Adebayor when they were 1-0 ahead as he was playing very well.

Big Sam's substitutions helped to change the game in our favour with the introductions of Diame and Morrison.

I don't remember the last time the Hammers had back to back wins at WHL but I'll take it!

+1

Hams
19-12-2013, 09:50 AM
Thanks Seamus

I don't remember the last time the Hammers had back to back wins at WHL but I'll take it

Hams
19-12-2013, 09:53 AM
Going back to the Stoke v Man Utd match do you think the referee was right to take the players off during that hail storm?

I think it was the right decision.

Mark Hughes side was really awful in that game and didn't even get a single shot on target during the whole 90 minutes.

Lovely strike by Ashley Young for the opener but he needs to do that more often not just now and again,