PDA

View Full Version : Mario Somma sacked by Empoli

Moravcik
20-01-2006, 06:16 PM
Empoli have announced that they have parted company with Coach Mario Somma after the 1-1 draw with Udinese on Wednesday night.

The tactician was aware that he was on thin ice after failing to win any of his last nine Serie A matches at the helm. However, he has everyone reason to feel aggrieved at the decision after being informed by President Fabrizio Corsi on Monday that his job was safe.

After being relieved of his duties, Somma had this to say: "Sometimes performances count for little. Relationships are fundamental in this game. I met Corsi and he told me that he was not in agreement with my management, while I wanted to continue on my path. Seeing as we disagreed, we tranquilly went our separate ways.

"If the season ended today then we would be safe. The President sees it differently though. It is his club and so he decides. It's sad to leave in the middle of the season, yet I have no regrets. I still have the memories of last year's great championship."

Replacing Somma in the Empoli hot seat will be Luigi Cagni, formerly of Verona and Piacenza. Despite ex-Lazio boss Giuseppe Papadopulo being the favourite for the job, the Tuscan outfit have handed Cagni an 18-month contract to revive their fortunes.