PDA

View Full Version : Coaching career - Help Please.

fafali
07-03-2006, 12:50 AM
Hello everyone. I am 25 and considering a coaching career. I play amatuer league soccer in vancouver but injuries have set me back from playing professional.
I am very passionate about the game so I am considering entering the proffesional world as a coach. I already have a good career in computers, but i am ready to through it all away so i can come home everyday from a football pitch.

I was looking at the UEFA 'B' International Licence Course. It is 3500 pounds. Combines level 1 through 3. Is it worth for me to this? Has anyone done this coarse? Is it better to do it 1 at a time.

I am also considering moving to london to start of volunteering and hopefully make a career out of it in the later years. This means quiting a good job, and leaving friends and family behind. I am very ambitious, and can see myself making it to the top. Although i am also aware that this is like hitting the lottery. But you will never know unless you try.

Any suggestions, information, help for any members would be greatly appreciated.
ps: I am a big Mourinho & chelsea fan. My dream is to one day work for the club.

rik1276
08-03-2006, 06:47 PM
Well, there is apparently a lot involved in levels 2 and 3 (Uefa B). Maybe a good idea (and it will save you a lot of money too!!) would be to take it a step at a time. I consider myself a football brain but am taking one step at a time. Level 2 will cost on average anything between 150-350, start there. It is easy to think that taking them all together will be an advantage, but there is plenty of coaching experience needed to be gained along the way.

Like yourself I am a big fan of Mourinho, but not a Chelsea supporter. He is quite an inspiration. As you will know, he got a lot of experience watching his father coaching and also with Sir Bobby Robson as his assistant after being his translator. It will be vital you spend time watching different coaches and how they approach things. You have the advantage that you will be able to get help from your coaches. But nearly 4k is a lot of money to spend if you fail. Whereas, rather than rushing into it, take the time and do it the slow (and cost effective way) after all, the courses are not just about getting your certificates but also about learning along the way and fully understanding it.

We have had some good advice on here about what to do when you are level 1 and 2, and how you can progress along the way. In effect you could get experience coaching at a pro club (obviously not the first team) with a level 2. So why risk failing your UEFA B and having nothing, when you would better advised to get one certificate ie Level 2 under your belt first and see how it goes from there.

That would be my advice anyway, not sure what others would say. Have you read up on what is involved and required for all of the different levels? If you go to the FA website there is for sale the packs for level 2 and 3 that you get on your courses, 15 each and you get them free on your course, but I like to get a head start in any way I can.

Go for it! It took me years (im now 29) to decide that I could not be bothered with doing a job i did not like and have chosen to go for something that I enjoy and am good at as a career. You only live once as they say, so if it is something you really want to do, I would say go for it!

fafali
09-03-2006, 07:10 PM
Thank very much for responding. I really appreciate it. Your advice makes sense.
Fortunatly my dad is pro coach. He is semi retired, and his own school for kids. I think I will get my level 1 or 2 and assist him to gain experience. Maybe even assist my own coach.
Although i am thinking gaining experience in the UK would be more valuable. So perhaps if i can find a job in my current field, and move their. In canada football is not the biggest sport. Hockey is huge here, and it annoys me. Thats another reason i want to move. I want to able to go watch a game on my days off.

Can I ask you a few questions? Where do you reside, and where do you currenly coach? What level? When did you first get started?
Is their any other instituations that you know besides FA learning that provide training? I'm really interested in focusing on technical analysis. Provide statistical reports etc to the coaching staff. I know national teams have this position, or in regular clubs the assistant coach does it. How do you get into that?
Does Level 1 or 2 get into this?
Are you signed with the FACA? FA coaching ass.

I want to wish you luck with your career. I want to see on Chelsea's bench one day. I'll take the assistant role since your a lil ahead of me. :-)

rik1276
13-03-2006, 09:57 AM
Your dad being a pro coach is a great thing to have. Will mean you will have had plenty of time to get all you need as far as watching him and also advice on how stuff works. In a nutshell skip level 1, its crap anyway. Still, I would say get onto level 2 which will cost between 150-300, then do your UEFA B, which will cost between 200-400 depending where you go. If you book them together you can arrange it so they happen very quickly and save yourself a fortune at the same time (this fortune can go towards your A licence).

Finding a job in your current field is a good idea, I was talking to our external assesor and he did the same thing, he had a normal full time job at first now he coaches football and deos the assesments etc full time.

Im located in West Yorkshire, and coach a under 16's side. I am pretty much working from the bottom up. I want to learn all levels of the game and work my way up like that. I have not been in the game long but had an injury that stopped me playing at quite a young age so went into music. I was never aware of any coaching opportunities until recently and want to take it as far as I can now I do. By the sounds of it, you will probably beat me to the chelsea job so if you need an assistant, let me know.lol

My first expert subject is football and my first love was football, the great thing is within football i have a dream that will last me all my life. Because the dream is to be head coach as a premiership manager and take the team into the champions league, but there is a life time of work and dreaming to keep me busy. Being 29 now, I am lucky to be the ideal age for working towards my dream, which may not happen ever, but along the way, i dont care if i get paid what i would do in my last job, so long as i wake up every day looking forward to coaching, which i would and do.

I would say London is a good place to start, as I have already been told, there are lots of clubs that welcome coaches. And having something with a pro club in the football league or prem is always good for the cv. Maybe then take over a none league side when enough experience is gained and results begin to talk from there on.

Im a member of the West Riding County FA and FACA

Level 2 will definately give you the work you are looking for with a number of pro clubs, obviously more than likely working with the youth teams at first, but the rest is down to your abilities and what you choose to learn. I plan on taking everything i can, so I have a nice armoury when it comes to courses and of course will be working towards my UEFA B and then UEFA A.

There are many places that provide you with the experience you will need outside the FA, a lot of that is at club football level. Contact a few clubs when you get your Level 2 and ask if you could coach part time in any capacity. If you try enough there is bound to be somebody. Look outside the premier league, i do not know how aware you are, but the lower leagues in our league are stronger than most lower leagues in the world. Even at none league confrence level they are stronger than a great deal of B leagues in the world. The standard is high over here, but it also makes me consider maybe looking at smaller countries in europe to work with in a coaching capacity to make it appear i have worked at a higher level than i have.

for example, winning the Singapore S Leage, looks good on paper, but it is probably just above winning the football confrence in England, if not the same. There is a cap on wages over there, but as I mentioned, winning a title over there looks good on paper.

yeek
13-03-2006, 10:09 AM
for example, winning the Singapore S Leage, looks good on paper, but it is probably just above winning the football confrence in England, if not the same. There is a cap on wages over there, but as I mentioned, winning a title over there looks good on paper.

I must say that I think the Singapore S League is the worst league I've seen. No disrespect but with all their investments and foreign players, its in a rather sorry state. I don't know much about conference football but its very difficult for me to imagine a league worse than this. They don't even have a fixed number of clubs and every year a team or two is disbanded.

rik1276
13-03-2006, 10:37 AM
yeah, my point however is on paper, it looks better to win the Singapore S League due to it being the 'premiership' of Singapore. My point without being disrespectful is that it is a crap league and badly needs sorting out. The confrence is technically the none league. We have the prem, championship, league 1 and league 2. The confrence is supposed to be a none proffesional league, but it is not really the case. If I were to win the confrence north or south, which comes next, it would be about the same as winning the s-league i would say. but on paper, winning the conf north or south, doesnt quite look as good as winning a countries premier league.

that was more the point i was trying to make. winning a countries premier league looks good, winning the equivelant of division 6 doesnt.lol

yeek
13-03-2006, 10:43 AM
Just out of interest, have you actually followed the S-League before?

rik1276
13-03-2006, 10:46 AM
kept upto date with some of the politics surrounding it. Dont really look out for the results. Have a few friends who live there so like to keep a passing interest in the football league. And I have not heard anyone with a good word to say about it.

fafali
15-03-2006, 12:53 AM
Thanks for the info rik. I am in the process of finalizing my trip to London end of April to take level 2 in Kent. I probably have to go back for an assesement later on , and perhaps do my level 3. In the mean while i will help my dad with his football school. I also want to check out london and see if i even like it. Hoping to drop of a few CVs here and their for my regular job. If i dont find one, just start the career in canada, and keep looking.

It also happens that Chelsea is playing man-u that week. Hoping to catch that game. Although i was forced to buying a membership so i can even have a chance to get a ticket.

I know the football level in the UK. A conference side is probably at the same level as A MLS team in the U.S. Thats the higest here in north america. How lame. lol
I definetly want to get some experience in england.Even if it is at a lower level. You know its all about who you know. I can have the skills to be the best coach in the world but still not even get a job on a conference side. I am hoping to establish some contacts end of april. I ll be in germany for the world cup. Hopefully i get lucky and run into some big heads that can offer me something. Not a job, but information etc.

Also in life you will once in a while catch lucky break. I think if you work hard, one day you will catch a break and you will have to oppurtunity to progress in your career. This happened to Mourinho as well. Working for bobby at barcelona as a translator.

Paul Blakeway
17-03-2006, 10:33 PM
Hi people,

This is my first post and I have read through this thread, very interesting. I have been researching the FA coaching badges etc and have a few questions if you don mind.

1. Level 1 & 2 - what is the actual makeup of these courses? I have read the FA's description, but I mean in lehmans terms. How many days does it take?, is there any prior assessments required? and how long does it take?

2. My playing standard was not very high (Semi-pro at 17 and had unsuccessful trials with both Crewe & Leyton Orient), will this standard prevent me from reaching a certain qualification?

3. What are the physical requirements or these courses? i.e do I need a few months down the gym before applying?

Hope you can assist, I sure you are bored of explaining these things to beginners.

Tnks

fafali
18-03-2006, 08:26 PM
http://falearning.thefa.com/docent/bin/docentisapi.dll/lms,EUW0000334,2151/?CMD=LOGIN&file=frameset.jsm
Register here and look up the courses. It has all the details you need.

Level 2 is about a week. But you can take it 1 day a month, and do it over 6 months. I am doing it 5 days straight. Level 3 is about the same.

For level 1 their is no prior assesement. Its for new bies. Level 2, they ask that you have played or watched a coach for a while.

Your playing standard should be fine for level 2. Their will be drills which you are required to be a part of. You dont need to be in tip top shape.

steve020
20-03-2006, 08:57 PM
hi there ive bought this ebook of ebay and it is class mate it was done by a guy in the usa and it has everything in it i bought it to get some training drills for the side i play 4 but if anybody would like me to send it them i can just pm me wiv your email address and i will forward it to you

im sure there will be something in there that can help