PDA

View Full Version : [IMPORTANT] Scheduled Downtime

cmn
19-08-2008, 08:35 AM
Hi everyone,

Some of you may have noticed that of late the forum has been a little flaky, to say the least. As part of the resolution of this problem we have found it necessary to implement several measures:

1. Move the forum onto its own server.
2. Move the forum database onto its own server.
3. Move around parts of the site so that more powerful servers do more work.

Unfortunately step 2 will involve shutting down the forum for a few hours as we migrate the database. Thankfully, this will not take very long since we're transferring the database between machines in the same facility across a fast 1Gbps connection.

Our internal testing has shown that this will reduce loading times by about 70%. It's at this time I'll also be putting our long-planned backup procedure in place.

I can say the downtime will be tomorrow, although I won't find out precisely when for another hour or 2, although I'll update when I do.

---

In addition to this, we also have some downtime planned over the next month as we upgrade the PHPbb software that powers the forum, and give it a new lease of life. I will post another sticky when I have more on this.

Apologies for any inconvenience this may cause. And as ever if you have any comments we'd love to hear them.

-C

O Dogg
19-08-2008, 09:06 AM
Hi Chris,

Thanks for communicating this out to the forum.
These improvements will prove vital.

Tom_Nufc
19-08-2008, 11:51 AM
I wasn't able to get on all morning, until now. But you said the downtime is tomorrow, so why couldn't i get on earlier?

O Dogg
19-08-2008, 11:59 AM
No idea mate - was working fine for me all morning.

cmn
19-08-2008, 02:59 PM
I wasn't able to get on all morning, until now. But you said the downtime is tomorrow, so why couldn't i get on earlier?

We had some minor connectivity issues at our datacenter, and we've been assured that these have been resolved.

Still no word on the exact time of the downtime tomorrow though.

I'll inform if anything changes.

-Dave-
19-08-2008, 10:49 PM
So will this mean less downtime from now on, after this is done?

O Dogg
21-08-2008, 08:47 AM
Hi all,

This has been delayed for a further 24 hours.
The downtime should be around 11am tomorrow.

If there is any change, I will let you know as and when I am made aware of it.
To answer your question -Dave-, these improvements will certainly be beneficial to the forum. The forum will become faster, with improved loading times. It should also become alot more stable than it has been as of late.

The upgrade of the forum software will also help.

fmadmin
21-08-2008, 09:13 AM
well that will be great ..only problem is my work computer is pretty slow , about 10 yrs old ...not posting as much here as it takes too long ...damn machine .. :x

fmadmin
21-08-2008, 11:00 AM
well i hope this latest upgrade will make the forum faster , i`ll have to resort to sabotage otherwise ....dont think my boss would buy me a new machine unless it blew up or something ... :wink:

O Dogg
21-08-2008, 11:07 AM
Hi all,

Another change of plan, but this time for the good.
We are going to go ahead with the change over at approx 3pm this afternoon.
We are hoping by doing it this way we will be able to complete it with very little downtime.

Will keep you updated and any changed will be communicated.

-Dave-
21-08-2008, 01:03 PM
Good to hear.

Tom_Nufc
21-08-2008, 01:17 PM
As in 45 mins? Better get posting then...

Tez Arne
21-08-2008, 01:21 PM
well that will be great ..only problem is my work computer is pretty slow , about 10 yrs old ...not posting as much here as it takes too long ...damn machine .. :x

yeah its exactly the same here mate. glad it aint just me.

funny thing is that even though the machineas are probably old its only become unbearable in the last 2-3 weeks - when all this sh*t has bene going on. it never used to be like this at all.

Ive got a brand new computer and the pages have taken an age to load on here the five days. It's good to hear it's getting sorted... i just hope no posts are lost in the process.

fmadmin
21-08-2008, 04:03 PM
i know its frustating , but we should not be too hard on O Dogg ...he is doing his best ...he is only in control of the forum remember . The technical side is beyond his control so he can only relay to us the info he receives .

Hope this latest solution really makes all the difference ......

mrtz
21-08-2008, 04:09 PM

yeah its exactly the same here mate. glad it aint just me.

funny thing is that even though the machineas are probably old its only become unbearable in the last 2-3 weeks - when all this sh*t has bene going on. it never used to be like this at all.

Ive got a brand new computer and the pages have taken an age to load on here the five days. It's good to hear it's getting sorted... i just hope no posts are lost in the process.

Should've gotten a Mac ,;).

Consistently decent speed for me.

Tez Arne
21-08-2008, 05:33 PM
How much though Mertasacker?

mrtz
21-08-2008, 05:40 PM
Speed? It's pretty fast. Nothing to complain about. Whole page loads up in under 5 seconds I guess. It only slows down when I approve/disapprove members. Takes a while to go to the page that has the checklist. All other pages are fine.

Tez Arne
21-08-2008, 05:49 PM
How much Dollar? $$$

mrtz
21-08-2008, 06:01 PM
I got mine for $1500 with a lot of upgrades. :D Base price was $1000 I think.

Tez Arne
21-08-2008, 06:04 PM
500 for mine. That's around $5000 at the current exchange rate, Thank you Bush.....

fmadmin
22-08-2008, 08:22 AM
the only things macs are good for is graphics work or basic email/internet usage ...pretty much useless for gaming ...

i guess i dont like macs ....:)

cmn
22-08-2008, 09:37 AM
The new server is in place, and no downtime was experienced at the end of all that.

The forum should now feel a fair bit faster, with more improvements to come in the near future.

I've also looked into getting the ads replaced with ones that aren't so 'heavy' for those with older computers, and will report on the outcome.

Comments are welcome as always.

-C

O Dogg
22-08-2008, 10:10 AM
Nice work Chris

Boris
22-08-2008, 11:32 AM
Have the advertisements on the right been removed?

The forum is stretching out where they used to be.

FR-Rinaldo
22-08-2008, 01:20 PM
Have the advertisements on the right been removed?

The forum is stretching out where they used to be.

Same here with me. It works much faster now :) . Good job!!

fmadmin
22-08-2008, 01:36 PM
yeah it does seem a tad faster for me also ....i can now type this sentence in real time , rather than having to wait 30 secs for the words to appear ... :wink:

mrtz
22-08-2008, 03:35 PM
Very nice. Even faster now :D

Boris
22-08-2008, 03:42 PM
Speed is quicker but like I mentioned earlier the forum stretches to the right now where the larger advertisements used to be.

O Dogg
22-08-2008, 05:59 PM
Screenshot Boris?

FR-Rinaldo
22-08-2008, 06:03 PM
Speed is quicker but like I mentioned earlier the forum stretches to the right now where the larger advertisements used to be.

Same problem was here but it is solved now.

Tom_Nufc
22-08-2008, 07:30 PM
good work team, seems fine so far.

the forum for me has stretched also, but it looks fine. Each column has become wider, but at least there's no ads everywhere.

Boris
23-08-2008, 01:58 AM
http://img239.imageshack.us/img239/1288/forumxd0.jpg

http://img382.imageshack.us/img382/9303/forum2mr4.jpg

Wow. They're huge, sorry :lol:

O Dogg
23-08-2008, 07:44 AM
Fits to my screen fine via Firefox...
Anyone else having this problem?

Boris, press CTRL and 0 together, and see if that sorts it.
Wondering whether the zoom in Firefox is set wrong.

Boris
23-08-2008, 12:45 PM
Still a bit stretched but not as bad as before.

Is font meant to be this small? :lol:

Boris
23-08-2008, 12:54 PM
I'll forgive that obvious error on your behalf.

Its not your fault you couldn't afford a proper education ,;)

Font - "A font is the overall design for a set of characters. It describes the size, weight, and spacing of a character and shouldn't be confused with a typeface, which is a more general term. Courier is a typeface; Courier 24-point bold is a font. ..."

Source: google.com "define: font" ----------~

Boris
23-08-2008, 01:01 PM
:lol:

sly dog.