England v Ukraine - 11th September

Join us here to discuss all of England's internationals plus Copa Libertadores,African Nations cup etc

Moderator: Moderators

England v Ukraine - 11th September

Postby Hams » Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:26 pm

England started their world cup qualifying campaign with a 5-0 win away in Moldova.

Roy Hodgson will be without John Terry and Theo Walcott for Tuesday nights match against Ukraine.

Any comments or predictions?

Edit - England have called up Raheem Sterling, Jake Livermore and Adam Lallana as replacements.
Hams
Admin
Admin

Location: London Supports West Ham United and Atletico Madrid

Postby Hams » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:16 pm

Line ups

ENGLAND
Hart, Johnson, Baines, Lescott, Jagielka, Milner, Gerrard, Lampard, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Cleverley, Defoe

UKRAINE
Pyatov, Butko, Selin, Hacherydy, Rakytskyy, Zozulya, Garmash, Konoplyanka, Tymoschuk, Yarmolenko, Devic
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Hams » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:54 pm

HT

England 0-1 Ukraine

Konoplyanka with a long range right foot screamer on 38 minutes.

Jermaine Defoe's early strike should have been allowed
but for Yarmolenko's cheating going down holding his face in agony when he wasn't even touched there.
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Tipster » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:14 pm

England have had a couple of chances, including the disallowed goal which he made the most of, but Ukraine FULLY deserve their lead in the first half. Fantastic goal!

Ukraine are picking up all these loose passes from England. Cleverley hasn't got his shooting boots on.
Tipster
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby goldmember » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:46 pm

England fans delighted ta draw with ukraine,what a desperate performance
goldmember
Senior Pro
Senior Pro

Postby Hams » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:03 am

Result

England 1-1 Ukraine
0-1 Konoplyanka 38’
1-1 Lampard 87’ (pen.)

A late penalty spared England's blushes although a 1-1 draw was a fair result given how well Ukraine played.

Steven Gerrad was sent off and will be banned for the next game. Maybe thats a good thing as he wont be able to play with Frank Lampard again.

It may have worked in the first match against Moldova who are only 3rd rate but not against better organised opponents like this lot.

It was embarrassing to watch us be dominated in midfield and also over run at times in our own backyard.

I thought Glen Johnson did well at right back and put in a good shift otherwise the rest of our team were very poor indeed.

Any comments on last nights result?
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Hams » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:07 am

goldmember wrote:England fans delighted ta draw with ukraine,what a desperate performance

A draw was a fair result in the end although we didn't play well at all and some may consider us to have been very lucky.
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Boris » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:50 am

Why was Gerrard sent off?
Boris
Legend
Legend

Postby Hams » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:08 am

Boris wrote:Why was Gerrard sent off?

2 Yellow cards in the 2nd half Boris.

The 1st one was for a high arm and the 2nd for a late sliding in tackle.

Gerrard didn't play well at all in this game.
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Bren10 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:00 pm

Terrible performance, after all the hype of the previous games a sharp dose of reality administered. Cleverly proved himself to be poor against decent opposition, his positional sense is good but had trouble controlling and using the ball under pressure, not great in front of goal. Our version of Cesc my backside.
Gerrard and Lampard cant play together, they arent intelligent enough to make it work. Both seemed to go missing when our CBs needed a pass which lead to us losing possession way too easily. Milner wasnt much of an outlet on the wing as he kept drifting in centrally, may have been a tactic but he offers even less infield than out wide. Cannot see why Welbeck was played on the left, he cant do it as Utd have found out this season. If we are to start playing with the ball more we desperately need Wilshere back, sick and tired of seeing Gerrard try and play hollywood passes when a simple pass is on, although he wasnt the only one guilty of that.
The no 10 for Ukraine was quality and made Johnson look the crap defender he is pretty much all game.

Really disappointing result given we were at home and if we keep performing like that this group wont be the walkover it should be.
Bren10

Postby Gazza-LFC » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:20 pm

At least Gerrard will get a rest which is a good thing for Liverpool as he desperately needs it..

Against San Marino even Cleverley will look world class,we were very poor against Ukraine and having Defoe up front was never going to work,if Carroll is injured then why isn't a proven Peter Crouch getting a chance?
Gazza-LFC
Legend
Legend

Postby Gazza-LFC » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:26 pm

Bren10 wrote:Terrible performance, after all the hype of the previous games a sharp dose of reality administered. Cleverly proved himself to be poor against decent opposition, his positional sense is good but had trouble controlling and using the ball under pressure, not great in front of goal. Our version of Cesc my backside.
Gerrard and Lampard cant play together, they arent intelligent enough to make it work. Both seemed to go missing when our CBs needed a pass which lead to us losing possession way too easily. Milner wasnt much of an outlet on the wing as he kept drifting in centrally, may have been a tactic but he offers even less infield than out wide. Cannot see why Welbeck was played on the left, he cant do it as Utd have found out this season. If we are to start playing with the ball more we desperately need Wilshere back, sick and tired of seeing Gerrard try and play hollywood passes when a simple pass is on, although he wasnt the only one guilty of that.
The no 10 for Ukraine was quality and made Johnson look the crap defender he is pretty much all game.

Really disappointing result given we were at home and if we keep performing like that this group wont be the walkover it should be.

Gerrard and Lampard have played together for over 50+ games and not one manager has noticed they can't play together yet...both are attacking midfielders but like you say they lack the know how for one to drop deeper once the other has gone forward...i lost count the number of times i saw Lampard in the opposition penalty area and i'm sure he was there more than the Ukranian goalkeeper..

Gerrard shouldn't have been playing as i have said in another thread he is absolutely knackered and every performance so far this season shows that,Lampard and Carrick should have been the central pairing as Carrick sits in midfield to allow Lampard to venture forward..

Luckily Gerrard now gets this rest and whoever comes in will have an easy night anyway.
Gazza-LFC
Legend
Legend

Postby specnur » Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:43 pm

Gazza-LFC wrote:
Bren10 wrote:Terrible performance, after all the hype of the previous games a sharp dose of reality administered. Cleverly proved himself to be poor against decent opposition, his positional sense is good but had trouble controlling and using the ball under pressure, not great in front of goal. Our version of Cesc my backside.

Gerrard and Lampard have played together for over 50+ games and not one manager has noticed they can't play together yet...both are attacking midfielders but like you say they lack the know how for one to drop deeper once the other has gone forward...i lost count the number of times i saw Lampard in the opposition penalty area and i'm sure he was there more than the Ukranian goalkeeper..

Gerrard shouldn't have been playing as i have said in another thread he is absolutely knackered and every performance so far this season shows that,Lampard and Carrick should have been the central pairing as Carrick sits in midfield to allow Lampard to venture forward..

Luckily Gerrard now gets this rest and whoever comes in will have an easy night anyway.

It's a flipping joke !
The last man to put Lampard on the bench for a competitive match got fired within months! He does nothing for 90% of the game steps up slots in a penalty he never had any parts in creating and gets all the plaudits in the moronic press. When mangers see that they are reluctant to put that player on the bench out of fear of the back lash from the press who seem to think the sun shines out of his rectum. I want a player on that pitch who puts in a shift especially in that area of the pitch that is more important in todays game than ever before for England. If you are team who has to play England you live each minute waiting to see the xmas gift that is putting Lampard and Gerrard in that midfield. I think even Cleverly could waltz around that pair and look like the second coming of Iniesta ffs! That england team is a product of the press for the most part it reflects the amount of change THEY are willing to accept. They would rather lose with those two in the team plus Terry than win with them out.I truly believe that.
specnur
Legend
Legend

Postby Bren10 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:59 pm

Lampard getting m.o.m was enough for me, he actually contributed nothing apart from a pen. What bothered me the most is he should be getting the knack of that position as its his in the Chelsea line up but he was nowhere to be found when needed apart from hanging around in the area I dont know what his role is. At one point the ball fell loose on the corner of the box, he just had a shot from an impossible angle. Now I know there wasnt support but he could quite easily have controlled the ball and passed it back so as to retain possession, the commentator then praises the attempt as if it was all he could do, then proceeds to talk about the importance of keeping the ball at this level. Absolute retards, the press, the pundits/commentators and ultimately the players. After every game with decent opposition we are saying the same things, cant keep the ball, cant use it properly and issues with mentality. Its all getting a little boring now and until certain players (who have had 10 years or so of chances to fail continually) are finally cast out into the wilderness nothing will change.
On that note it is quite amusing that one of the old guard who has been cast away for "footballing reasons" would have been quite useful on Tuesday. :D
Bren10

Return to International football