How Do I Get My Son a Trial?

Are you In need of some coaching advice or do you want to share your tips and help out others?

Moderator: Moderators

How Do I Get My Son a Trial?

Postby Steggs » Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:47 am

My son is quick. Very quick. at 16, without any advance notice, he ran 12.2 seconds on the 100metres. He is 6ft 2 and I am sure he has still got some growing in him. With some professional coaching, rather than just natural ability, he could be faster.

He has played once with 'adults', managing to handle himself well, (physically).

He plays well on the right wing, but can play up front.

HOW DO I GET MY SON A TRIAL?

Any advice would be welcome.

Regards,

Simon
Steggs
Grass Roots
Grass Roots

Postby Boris » Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:32 am

12.2 on track isn't as quick as it seems, unless it was on grass? Then thats actually quite good, grass slows you down. Does he play semi-pro now or amateur? Maybe stepping up to Semi-pro and testing himself at that level consistently might give you more leverage for a trial. I suggest clubs in your area, being from the UK I don't have much idea how an English kid gets a trial but in Oz its invitation only most the time, but you can get them by talking with the club, giving them footage of the player etc
Boris
Legend
Legend

Postby Steggs » Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:42 am

Thanks for that old chum. Appreciate your comments.

Just out of interest, does anyone know what is a good time for a pro footballer?

Regards,

Simon
Steggs
Grass Roots
Grass Roots

Postby Boris » Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:53 am

It varies from person to person I guess. Players like Torres i'd have a guess at around 11.

I goalkeep semi-pro, my 100 time was 12 flat when I started and after a few training sessions its down to 11.87.
Boris
Legend
Legend

Postby shlj » Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:17 am

I think as Boris said check the local club in the area. Premier League club have academies and normally list the person to contact on their websites.
shlj
World Class
World Class

Postby Tom_Nufc » Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:37 pm

you don't get him a trial. the trial goes to him, i.e he's gotta be scouted really. Personally i think 16 is a bit old for him to become a footballer. If he's good enough people would have picked him up at 10-14 really.
Tom_Nufc
Legend
Legend

Postby TopOfTheLeague » Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:27 pm

Some places advertise trials....where scouts go. Forget the name, do a search.
TopOfTheLeague
Young Pro
Young Pro

Re: How Do I Get My Son a Trial?

Postby Benraul » Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:38 pm

Steggs wrote:My son is quick. Very quick. at 16, without any advance notice, he ran 12.2 seconds on the 100metres. He is 6ft 2 and I am sure he has still got some growing in him. With some professional coaching, rather than just natural ability, he could be faster.

He has played once with 'adults', managing to handle himself well, (physically).

He plays well on the right wing, but can play up front.

HOW DO I GET MY SON A TRIAL?

Any advice would be welcome.

Regards,

Simon

It sounds like it might be unlikely to get your wish here I am afraid Simon.

I was playing high level mens football at 13 and was fairly small so for your son to have only played once at 16 doesnt really mean alot to be honest.

Are you sure you want him to be a footballer? I mean, you focus alot of your energy on his pace which can only take you so far. Obviously it is a fantastic attribute to have, but the modern day footballer needs sooooo much more than this.

You obviously live in Birmingham. Perhaps film your son play and bombard clubs with videos of him. Some clubs even have open trials. They wont be the top clubs mind. Send them letters. Ring up clubs and find out if there are trials on offer. If you want it bad enough I am sure the endless amounts of calls you will have to make wont be that much of a burden.

In all honesty, and it has been said already, most clubs come to you, not the other way around. If your son was good enough in the eyes of the people with the experience they would have probably come to see him by now or heard of him, and decided he was not right. However, there are fish that slip through the net. I consider my brother to be one of them, yet he still played with West Ham and QPR so was noticed.

Good luck in your quest Simon, but I think you might have to be realistic here and perhaps admit that football might not be the career your son goes into. Certainly not a player at the heighest level anyways.
Benraul
World Class
World Class

Postby yidomatt » Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:44 am

I doesn't really matter about a players pace. Obviously it is an advantage, but nota necesity, as the next 2 moves should be in the head (Teddy Sheringham for example).
As Tom has already said, the clubs send out scouts, and if they are impressed, he will be offered a trial. You can't just ask for one as it doesn't work that way. Again, as Tom said, 16 is a bit old. Scouts nowadays are sent to watch under 14 games at the oldest.
yidomatt
Legend
Legend

Postby SG » Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:40 pm

A couple of years back I scouted a player that was representing his district - a year UP!
The lad ran the show and scored a cracking free-kick.
He was invited to guest in a friendly ... not good enough.

I was advised to only put forward players that I believed were as good as the top 3 players in the Academy team, because the reality is, out of a squad of players, perhaps only a handful will make the jump from U14's to U16's.
The club recently retained just 4 players from their U14's squad.

A player has to be EXCEPTIONAL that late in the day.

If your lad IS ... don't worry.

:wink:
SG
Grass Roots
Grass Roots

Postby strass71 » Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:45 pm

Firstly on the point of speed 12 seconds is quick whether it be track or grass is not really relevant in this case. However what is , is the fact that he is not going to sprint 100 metres on a football pitch, maybe on a rugby pitch as the game allows for it. The relevance here is quickness and sharpness over 10 & 20 metres as those are the distances that damage in football is done. Thierry Henry was not the fastest player at arsenal however over 10 & 20 he was devasting therefore being able to catch him after that was pointless because hes either shot or passed the ball or got in the area and consequently become a penalty threat.

Back to the trial issue. Your best bet is to try and tempt someone from your local pro team to come and watch him and if they like the look then he may well be invited to a trial for the club. Failing that then try and get him playing a good standard of local football maybe even semi pro reserves. If hes at that standard then the chances are there will be scouts at the games from time to time especially if hes making a name for himself. Those are your best chances.

Be aware of internet sites offering trials at a price as these are designed for money making purposes as you can imagine how many people would subscribe to this idea. This is a trial but there are no guarantees as to the clubs represented at the trials and consequently could be a big expense and a waste of time and effort.

Good luck
strass71
Grass Roots
Grass Roots

Postby loganfisher » Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:43 pm

i have a question for you. i am a goalkeeper from the usa. i was born in peterborough and both of my parents are british. we moved here in 2001 but i am very eager to move back to play football. i have been playing here since i was 13 and became a keeper when i was 14. i just turned 16 and have developed into a decent keeper for my age. i have a year and a half left of school and i am planning on returning with a freind after school to try find trials. 1. how would i do that and 2. would me playing in america be a turn off to coaches in the uk?
loganfisher
Grass Roots
Grass Roots

Return to Football Coaching