Page 2 of 99 FirstFirst 1231252 ... LastLast

Thread: The Lionel Messi thread

Quote Originally Posted by fakeplastictrees

Can't disagree with that. Messi was brilliant against us. Every time he got the ball we pooped ourselves. The only thing I'd say is Ronaldinho at his peak gave him a close run. Zidane was a genuis. Even at the last world cup he was the best player in the world.
    Roinaldinho came close to who? Zidane?

Some might argue in his 2005 season (i think it was that one) he reached a greater height than Zidane ever did.

I disagree that Zidane was the best player at the world cup though. I thought he was incredibly overated in that tournament. He had 2 exceptional games - other than that, was poor (a bit like Arshavin, but the difference being, Arshavin wasplaying for a much weaker team, and only played 3 games in total). Before those 2 games, Zidane was poor, got himself suspended, and there was talk that he should be dropped. And after those 2 exceptional games, he got himself sent off in the final.

I personally thought there were a dozen players more deserving of the golden ball award.

Quote Originally Posted by fakeplastictrees
    Barcelona are currently 15 points clear in Spain, that's just insane.
    Not that anyone cares but it's 12 points, not 15
    Raúl González Over 400 career goals, 3 UCL, 6 La Liga, Top scorer in history of UCL and Spain's national team for a decade, captain of one of the best generations of players in Real Madrid history.

Quote Originally Posted by Johaldo8
    I said about 15 months ago that Messi was the best player in the world - I remember arguing it with J-Axe who was suggesting that Cesc could be! In fact, about a year before that, I remember O Dogg trying to argue that Rooney was better than Messi!!

No, Lionel Messi is EASILY the best player on the planet, and no one comes close. His dribbling, his passing, his shooting, his ability to ride dangerous tackles, his hunger to win the ball, his decision making...all these things make him the greatest player to grace the game of football since Zinedine Zidane - and if he carries on as he is, he'll be compared to the incomparable Pele and Maradona.

Like paddypoohead, I have no respect for anyone who wishes to argue against it, and I'll treat them with utter disdain. In my mind, they do not understand the game of football.

The only reason Ronaldo won WPOTY was because Messi was injured last season, and even then the incredible Argentine upstaged him twice in both semi final legs.

Awards are materialistic - winning the hearts and minds who truly understand football is more important, in my opinion. And that's exactly what Messi has won over the past year or so.
    well everyone has their own oppinion Johaldo .......to imply everyone who doesnt agree with you is an idiot and you dont respect them is extremely arrogant and also very rude ..that is basically what you are saying really . The whole point of forums like these is that we can all discuss and argue over subjects like this .......by all means give your opinion and thoughts on whatever is being discussed , but dont label everyone without even hearing what they have to say ..

Myself ....i have no reason to disgree with the opinion of Ben91 sbout Messi right now ...

Quote Originally Posted by conner99
    Myself ....i have no reason to disgree with the opinion of Ben91 sbout Messi right now ...
    and what is Ben91's opinion on Lionel Messi Conner?

I said about 15 months ago that Messi was the best player in the world - I remember arguing it with J-Axe who was suggesting that Cesc could be! In fact, about a year before that, I remember O Dogg trying to argue that Rooney was better than Messi!!

No, Lionel Messi is EASILY the best player on the planet, and no one comes close. His dribbling, his passing, his shooting, his ability to ride dangerous tackles, his hunger to win the ball, his decision making...all these things make him the greatest player to grace the game of football since Zinedine Zidane - and if he carries on as he is, he'll be compared to the incomparable Pele and Maradona.

Like paddypoohead, I have no respect for anyone who wishes to argue against it, and I'll treat them with utter disdain. In my mind, they do not understand the game of football.

The only reason Ronaldo won WPOTY was because Messi was injured last season, and even then the incredible Argentine upstaged him twice in both semi final legs.

Awards are materialistic - winning the hearts and minds who truly understand football is more important, in my opinion. And that's exactly what Messi has won over the past year or so.
    well everyone has their own oppinion Johaldo .......to imply everyone who doesnt agree with you is an idiot and you dont respect them is extremely arrogant and also very rude ..that is basically what you are saying really . The whole point of forums like these is that we can all discuss and argue over subjects like this .......by all means give your opinion and thoughts on whatever is being discussed , but dont label everyone without even hearing what they have to say ..

C'est la vie.

Feel free to argue against my thoughts, Conner. I am not stopping you from having a different opinion.

But like I said, anyone who cannot see that Messi is easily the best player on the planet does not understand the game of football - and if that sounds "extremely arrogant and also very rude" then so be it. It's my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Benraul
    and what is Ben91's opinion on Lionel Messi Conner?
    oops wrong Ben ...i meant you actually ....

C'est la vie.

Feel free to argue against my thoughts, Conner. I am not stopping you from having a different opinion.

But like I said, anyone who cannot see that Messi is easily the best player on the planet does not understand the game of football - and if that sounds "extremely arrogant and also very rude" then so be it. It's my opinion.
    ok..fair enough i suppose .... the argument in these subjects are always what has a player done this season to justify the label `best in the world` . Ronaldo obviously was in phenominal form last season .....did Messi do better than him last season .....is it just about how many goals are banged in by a player ....is it goals per game ratio ...is it how the player does overall ....or is it all fixed as many have hinted at ..

Clearly he is the best player on the planet right now. Not since Ronaldo in his Barca days have I seen such a amazing prospect. Theres no limit to what he could achieve.

While where at it has anyone been watching Pato of late? I think he's on a simular level that Messi was on when he was 18.

I haven't seen much of Pato because Italian Football isn't shown on British TV anymore So any Italian football I see will have to be streamed.

Anyhow, I am very aware of how good Pato can be - he's an amazing talent, and I'm glad he's playing with Kaka so it helps their understanding for the Selecao.

I remember last season I was telling everyone at work that Pato is the new young superstar of world football, but then he had a relatively quiet game when Arsenal knocked them of the Champions' League last season, and the lads at work took the p1ss out of me for days because of that.

He'll prove me right in the end though, I'm sure of that.

I remember having an arguement with a friend of mine regading ronaldo or messi,who was really better??? He kept harping on the 42 goals and the award. Fine the amt of goals ronnie scored was insane and his performance outstanding but I'm sure messi would have scored more if he had'nt been injured cause prior to the injury he was having an incredible season.So that is something I really agree with u. I just pray that Messi stays healthy and injury free . And seriously ppl do u really believe they others are better than Messi?