Thread: Barcelona: Mark Van Bommel

Barcelona: Mark Van Bommel

Joan Laporta has stated that no deal has been struck with Mark van Bommel and that midfielder Gerard will be offered a new deal at Barcelona.

The Camp Nou president also looked ahead to the Clasico in El Santiago Bernabeu on Sunday and said that he feels that giants Real Madrid have taken on a new role.
    Van Bommel has been strongly linked with a move to the Catalan giants in recent weeks and was thought to have been signed under the Bosman ruling with his PSV contract up in the summer.

However, Laporta denied that the club had already signed the Dutch midfielder, although he did recognise his talent.

"He is a very good player, but as yet there is nothing concrete," the Blaugrana supremo said, before going on to reveal that Gerard will be offered new terms, despite speculation that he was set to be offloaded.
    "He has deserved the offer of a new deal," Laporta added.

Looking ahead to Sunday's monumental clash with Madrid, Laporta said that he was not worried about the tie and believes that Real's new tag as the underdogs should not be believed.

"I am not at all nervous," he continued. "I think the dynamic has changed in the last few years. I see that Madrid has taken on the dynamic as the victimised club.
    "It is a strategy that you have to respect, but it will nevertheless still be a hard fought game.

Laporta believes that pressure on match officials is being created from the Spanish capital as the build-up reaches a crescendo.

"I never criticise referees," he said. "I do not see anything happening in bad faith, but there are elements in Madrid trying to create an added pressure to the match.
    "I respect all the officials because they are all of a very high standard and they will be ready.

"Madrid are under greater pressure because they are playing at home and, if they lose, then they will be 12 points behind us and it will be very difficult for them to win the league."

Barcelona definetley need a holding midfield player and most importantly a striker (hopefully they can get Robinho-not Madrid as he won't get played). I'm really looking forward to "el classico" at the weekend; as ever should be a stunner.

i cnat wait either.

they do need a holding midfielder to provide cover for the attacking line as for Robinho, i hope he goes to Chelsea

Well, Robinho has already had a Medical at Madrid, so its a shame really.

theres been no mediacal, what madrid do have is a first option on robinho.

BBC said otherwise 3 months ago, but oh well.

If Robinho goes to Chelsea or Madrid he wont be played much but at Barca, he would be played a lot more nd he would be a good partner for Eto'o in attack.