Thread: 6 a side football. Whats the best formation.

6 a side football. Whats the best formation.

Hey everyone,

Started a new six a side league (soccersixes) and would like some recommendaions about possible formations.

We played our first league game on sunday and won 1-0 with a 3 1 1 formation with the wing backs pushing forward to attack.

Defensively this was very sound but as an attacking option left us with very little option. We got good players aged between 20 - 26 and each player can pretty much play in any position.

We got a very skillfull midfielder who can beat a man with his tricks and pace. A striker who can finish from anyway on the pitch. A very big and strong defender. Another defensive player who has bundles of stamina and finally me who can play anyway and am both footed.

Sorry its very detailed but think it would help.

Any advice would be greatful (ie best formations, tactics, number of subs etc etc)

Thanks

1 Goalkeeper
    2 Defenders
    2 Midfielders
    1 Forward
    Works all the time.

Cheers mate.

Thats what I was thinking however the pitch is wide so thinking this may leave us valuable on the wings.

Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:37 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 Goalkeeper
    2 Defenders
    2 Midfielders
    1 Forward
    Works all the time.

Go with 2 goal keepers

6v6

when using 6v6 formations in coaching the FA tell you to use 1 keeper,2 defenders,1 midfield and 2 forwards.
    1 of the forwards is left up and the other acts as mid/attack

Cheers guys.

Seems like its the two two one formation then.

Pats_89 you suggested one of the subs should be a keeper?

Quote Originally Posted by bash187
    Cheers guys.

Seems like its the two two one formation then.

Pats_89 you suggested one of the subs should be a keeper?
    Bash,
    Craig of Leeds is correct.
    The FA ALWAYS advocate a Gk -2 Backs - 1 midfield -2 forwards in 6 A Side.

Personally I favour the GK -6 where ALL players attack and defend by circular movement OR the Piston Style where players move in STRAIGHT lines Up & Down the pitch in a 'Piston' movement.

I found this post really helpful on choosing 6-a-side formations. Personally, I think the 1-3-1 is the way forward. I've been using that and found it to be quite successful.

With the kids I coach we play with a 3-2 formation. Our outside backs are used in our attacks giving us 4 attackers and then hustle back when we're on the defensive as well.