Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123 ... LastLast

Thread: International Managerial comings/goings

The vacancy for the Ivory Coast job is now down to 3 managers:

Ivory Coast are set to make a decision on who will be their next coach by Friday, with three names in the frame.

Sven Goran Eriksson, Mark Hughes and Bernd Schuster are still in the running to take charge of the Elephants at this summer's World Cup.

The African nation dismissed Bosnian coach Vahid Halilhodzic in February and have been on the look-out for a replacement ever since.

Initial efforts to lure Guus Hiddink into the role proved unsuccessful, forcing them to look elsewhere.

Former England boss Eriksson was believed to be the front-runner for the role, but he now faces competition from ex-Manchester City boss Hughes and former Real Madrid coach Schuster.

"Yes, it's those three," said Ivorian soccer federation secretary general Heguard Ouattara.

"The negotiations are continuing and I think that tomorrow (Friday) we will be in a good position and there will be a choice.

"The talks in Paris finished last week. There has been no definitive decision at all but we think (it will be) tomorrow."

The Ivory Coast have been drawn alongside Brazil, Portugal and North Korea in World Cup Group G.
    Who'd be the right manager for the job? Considering they've got to fight it out in a World Cup group consisting of Brazil and Portugal, they've got a big task on their hands.

Its crazy to be looking for a new manager so close to the start of the world cup!

I imagine Brazil and Portugal will be delighted that The Ivory Coast are in such a mess.

Australia's coach Pim Verbeek will stand down as manager after the World Cup.

Pim Verbeek has explained his reasons for deciding to stand down as Australia manager after the World Cup.

The Dutch tactician has been in charge of the Socceroos since 2007 but will leave his post at the end of the tournament in South Africa this summer.

Verbeek maintains that he has enjoyed his time at the helm but does not feel he would be able to continue because of the exhausting demands of the role.

The constant travelling has taken its toll and Verbeek informed the Football Federation Australia earlier this month that he would be unable to commit for a further four years.

"Being Socceroos coach is one of the hardest jobs in the world, without a doubt," he wrote in Australia's Daily Telegraph.

"Why? Try clocking up almost one million kilometres of travel in two and a half years. That's what my staff say my itinerary has been, and I believe it.

"The job can also be of one the best. You are surrounded by fantastic people and work with some unbelievably dedicated players.
    Maybe he'll be leaving his job on a high?!?

He is a great tactician but we need someone like Guus again. Watch us go for another Dutch coach, hopefully not Advocaat...

Sven Goran Eriksson has been confirmed as manager of Ivory Coast.

He replaces Vahid Halilhodzic, who lost the job after failing to take Ivory Coast beyond the quarter finals of the African Cup of Nations.

So, Eriksson has gone from director of football at a league 2 club, to coach of one of the biggest African nations.

How do you think he'll do in the world Cup?

Does he have enough time to work with his team, and put up a good fight against Brazil and Portugal?

Dick Advocaat has quit as Belgium coach after only 6 months:

Dick Advocaat has stepped down as Belgium manager with immediate effect after just six months in charge.

The Dutch tactician, who has also been working as AZ Alkmaar boss since December, was hired by Belgium with a view to the Euro 2012 qualifying campaign.

But he has now unexpectedly resigned and reports suggest he could succeed Guus Hiddink as Russia coach in the summer.

Advocaat's contract with Belgium had not initially been scheduled to start until 2010 but an agreement was reached for him to take up the role in October last year, following the national team's failure to qualify for the World Cup.

He oversaw the last two matches of the World Cup qualifying campaign and a number of friendlies, but Belgium will now have to start looking for a replacement.

Advocaat, who has a wealth of experience in club and international management, was given permission in December to accept an interim role with AZ until the end of the season as the defending Eredivisie champions had struggled prior to Ronald Koeman's sacking.

A statement on the Belgian federation website read: "The federation's president Francois De Keersmaecker was informed this Thursday April 15 at 1415 hours by national team coach Dick Advocaat that the latter was breaking his contract which linked him to the URBSFA with immediate effect.

"The Belgian football federation will contact their lawyers to study the consequences it will give to this matter.

"The URBSFA management, who were surprised by this announcement, will abstain from any comments at this moment and, since they do not know all the factors, the URBSFA will now reflect on what future steps they will take."

It seems as quick as that, Advocaat is set to become Russia Manager.

Mr.Dick has already managed in Russia before; 3 years with Zenit St Petersburg where he won the league and the UEFA cup.[/code]

Laurent Blanc will take over as the manager of France after The World Cup.

I'm sure Frenchmen all around the world will be dancing in the streets at the news that Raymond Dommenech is leaving!

Good appopintment should be, but I still not sure what happen with him at Bordeaux towards the end of the season?? Totaly slump to 6th and not even in the Europa.

Italy are having a change of Manager after the World Cup. Fiorentina's Cesare Prandelli will take over:

Prandelli: New Italy boss
    .Cesare Prandelli has been named as the new Italy boss and will take on the role after the World Cup.

The Fiorentina coach will succeed Marcello Lippi after he met with the Italian federation president Giancarlo Abete in Rome on Sunday.

The meeting came after Abete was given permission by the Serie A club earlier this month to talk to Prandelli, who has been at the Fiorentina helm since 2005 to make him the longest-serving coach in Serie A.

He has signed a four-year contract, although Italian press reports claim some details are yet to be decided, such as the make up of Prandelli's backroom staff.

Announcing Prandelli as the new national boss, a statement released by the Italian federation (FIGC) said: "Cesare Prandelli will take over the bench from coach Marcello Lippi after the World Cup in South Africa.

"President Abete has confirmed this morning, in a meeting that was held in Rome, the contract with the next coach of the national team, after the decision of Lippi to leave his post.

"The FIGC and Cesare Prandelli have agreed a contract for four years. The details of the deal will be defined in the coming days.

"The official presentation of the new coach will be at the end of World Cup."

Earlier Lippi had stated his belief that Prandelli was the best choice to replace him.

The Azzurri coach, who stepped down after leading the team to World Cup glory in Germany four years ago but resumed the role two years ago, said: "I told the president Abete at Christmas that I intended to finish these two years and then leave.

"Prandelli is the right person in the right place, but we will talk about this more in depth in the future.

"We will also talk further down the line, if you like, of the reasons which have pushed me to leave the national team for the second time."

Former national coach Arrigo Sacchi is also confident Prandelli will do a fine job at the Italy helm.

He told Sky Italia: "Cesare has shown already many times that he is a great coach, a great personality.

"He is technically excellent and a person I respect. Working for the national team is not like being a club coach - you are a coach that has to do a lot in a short space of time."