Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst ... 234 ... LastLast

Thread: International Managerial comings/goings

Fernando Santos takes over from Otto Rehhagel as Greece coach:

Portuguese tactician Fernando Santos has been named as the new Greece national team coach to replace Otto Rehhagel.

The Greek Football Federation confirmed the 55-year-old's appointment on a two-year deal on Thursday after former boss Rehhagel stood down last week following Greece's elimination from the World Cup.

Rehhagel will be a hard act to follow, leading the Greeks to a shock Euro 2004 title success in his nine-year tenure, as well as qualifying for Euro 2008 and this summer's world finals, where they were eliminated at the group stage.

Santos takes on the job after leading PAOK Salonika to a place in next season's UEFA Champions League qualifying rounds for the first time before resigning in May.

He is well established in Greek football, having also enjoyed coaching stints at Panathinaikos and AEK Athens previously and being named as Coach of the Decade earlier this year by the Greek Super League.

He has also coached Benfica, where Greek midfielders Costas Katsouranis and Giorgos Karagounis both played for him, Sporting and Porto, whom he led to the Portuguese championship in 1994.

Santos will receive a reported 500,000 euros (£412,000) per year, about half of what the Greeks were paying Rehhagel.

Mexico boss Javier Aguirre resigns, after 2nd round exit at World Cup:

Javier Aguirre has stepped down as Mexico manager following their exit from the World Cup.

The former Atletico Madrid boss has quit his second stint in the Mexican hot-seat after failing to take his country beyond the second round of the South Africa finals.

El Tri suffered their fifth straight last-16 defeat after they were ousted 3-1 by Argentina on Sunday.

Aguirre, who replaced former England manager Sven-Goran Eriksson as Mexico boss 15 months ago, guided his national side into the latter stages after finishing second in Group A.

They drew 1-1 with hosts South Africa and triumphed 2-0 over France en route to progressing but came unstuck as Diego Maradona's side triumphed in Johannesburg.

"I have to leave, it's the most honest thing to do," said Aguirre, who was reported to be the third highest-paid coach at the summer finals behind Italy's Marcello Lippi and England boss Fabio Capello.

"Everything I did, I did thinking of the well-being of Mexico.

"The plan was to qualify to the quarter-finals, be among the eight best in the world. Since this didn't happen, the the team and I agreed that continuing was impossible."

Aguirre, who was replaced as Mexico coach after they were eliminated by the United States in the 2002 event, believes the next coach should be retained for the entire four-year World Cup cycle.

And the 51-year-old reckons his faith in the younger generation of Mexican players, including forwards Javier Hernandez, Giovani Dos Santos and Carlos Vela, will come to the fore at the 2014 tournament in Brazil.

"I think the future is in the hands of our young players," he added.

Reports in Mexico have suggested that Jose Manuel de la Torre, who guided Toluca to their 10th Mexican league title last month, is favourite to replace Aguirre.

Yet another manager left following a World Cup exit. Paraguay boss Gerardo Martinez quits, but his contract had ran out anyway:

Gerardo Martino has left his position as the head coach of Paraguay after guiding La Albirroja to the World Cup quarter-finals.

The Argentine coach announced to the media that his four-year contract had expired but promised fans that he would assist with the transition to a new coach after thousands of people greeted their heroes as they arrived back in the capital, Asuncion.

The 47-year-old said that he had job offers back in Argentina, Saudi Arabia and Mexico.

"My four-year contract is up," Martino said. "But I will stay around a bit longer to organise things."

Meanwhile, striker Roque Santa Cruz has said that the tournament in South Africa would be his last World Cup.

"This is my last World Cup," the Manchester City forward said. "My soul wants to continue, but by my body says no."

Santa Cruz admitted he might play in the Copa America next year, which will be played in Argentina.

"It could be my going away present," he said.

President Fernando Lugo awarded the squad medals for meritorious service to sports upon their arrival.

MARADONA LEAVES ARGENTINA:

Diego Maradona has been axed as Argentina coach after the Argentina Football Association decided not to renew his contract.

The former Argentina captain's future as coach has been the subject of intense speculation ever since Argentina's elimination from the World Cup earlier this summer.

The 49-year-old suggested he would step down following the World Cup quarter-final exit at the hands of Germany in South Africa this summer.

But he has since admitted he would be prepared to stay on, provided he can retain his full backroom staff, which may prove to be a sticking point.

The AFA have refused to meet Maradona's demands with federation president Julio Grondona looking to reshape the backroom team.

Maradona had been offered a new four-year deal, but after his refusal to change his coaching team the AFA board have decided not to renew his

contract.

AFA spokesman Ernesto Cherquis Bialo said: "The president put some salient points to Maradona in their long conversation yesterday.

"And the executive committee unanimously resolved not to renew Maradona's contract as technical director of the national teams."

Maradona took charge of the national side in November 2008 and helped Argentina qualify for the World Cup after an indifferent qualifying campaign.

Argentina won all three of their group games in South Africa, but were humbled 4-0 by Germany in the quarter-finals.

Estudiantes coach Alejandro Sabella is the early favourite to succeed Maradona after steering his side to the Copa Libertadores last year.

Argentina will hope to have a new man in place ahead of next month's friendly with Republic of Ireland in Dublin.
    I think this is a big shame. I've never seen such an enthusiastic manager of a team, who had such a good bond with his team. He had great respect for his players, and vice-versa. Forget all that rubbish about 26 years ago, I like Maradona, he was a great character to watch in south africa.

The Welsh FA have unveiled Gary Speed as the new manager of the national team.

The 41-year-old former Leeds United, Everton and Bolton Wanderers midfielder has signed a three-and-a-half-year deal to succeed John Toshack and was unveiled at a press conference on Tuesday afternoon.

Speed was given permission on Monday by Sheffield United to speak to the Football Association of Wales after they identified him as their preferred candidate.

"It's something that's very difficult to turn down when your country comes calling. I'm a very proud man at this moment to be asked to be the manager of Wales," Speed said after being presented to the media at a press conference at the Vale of Glamorgan hotel.

On his departure from Bramall Lane, he said: "These things happen in football, where the timing's not always great.

"I was disappointed to leave Sheffield United because I feel I had a job to do there and was fully committed but obviously when your country comes calling it's a tough decision you have to make. I feel in my heart it's the right one.

"To be fair to them they've been fantastic throughout and made the decision really easy for me.

"I'd like to thank Sheffield United for the opportunity I've been given there both as a coach under Kevin Blackwell and then as a manager."

Speed, who won 85 caps for Wales during a 14-year international playing career, will need to revitalise the team after their poor start to the Euro 2012 qualifying campaign.

Wales are bottom of Group G with three defeats from their opening three matches.

PA Sport
    Any comments?

Have Wales made the right choice in giving the job to such an inexperienced manager?

Carlos Queiroz of Portugal has signed a contract to coach Iran through to the end of the 2014 FIFA World Cupô, the ISNA news agency reported on Monday.

"Carlos Queiroz has signed a contract with the Iranian football federation to coach 'Team Melli' up to the end of the 2014 World Cup in Brazil," ISNA said, without giving any financial details of the deal.

ISNA quoted Queiroz as saying: "I am here in Iran to help the team make it to the 2014 World Cup. This is my most important aim and I hope with everyone's help we can make it." Queiroz takes over from Tehran-born US national Afshin Ghotbi, whose contract was not renewed after Iran were knocked out of the 2011 AFC Asian Cup by South Korea.

The 57-year-old former Manchester United assistant boss was most recently coach of Portugal, whom he took to the 2010 World Cup in South Africa. He was sacked from that role in September 2010.

Iran begin their long quest for a fourth FIFA World Cup after appearances in 1978, 1998 - when they memorably beat the United States 2-1 - and in 2006, when they play the Maldives in their opening qualifier on Wednesday.
    This is going to be fun to watch, if you're portuguese mainly

Sergio Batista has quit as Argentina's manager after they only made it to the quarter finals of the Copa America.

One of the favourites to take over is thought to be Alejandro Sabella who won the Libertadores cup with Estudiantes in 2009.

Any comments?

Bob Bradley has been sacked as the USA's head coach after being in charge for the last 5 years.

Back in June the Americans were leading Mexico 2-0 in the Gold Cup final but went on to lose the game 4-2.

Any comments?

Who do you think will take over?

Jurgen the German has taken over!

USA have named former Germany boss Jurgen Klinsmann as their new head coach.

The announcement comes a day after former boss Bob Bradley was sacked following five years in charge.

Klinsmann had a distinguished playing career, highlighted by winning the World Cup in 1990 and European championship in 1996 with Germany, but has had only fleeting spells in management, first with Germany and later Bayern Munich.

He has lived primarily in the United States since retiring from playing, and has frequently been linked with the national team job and vacancies in Major League Soccer.

"I am proud and honoured to be named the head coach of the US Men's National Team," said Klinsmann, who will take charge of his first match on August 10 against rivals Mexico.

"I would like to thank the US Soccer Federation for the opportunity, and I'm excited about the challenge ahead.

"I am looking forward to bringing the team together for our upcoming match against Mexico and starting on the road toward qualifying for the 2014 FIFA World Cup."
    Mrtz, Specs & co, what do you make of this?

Is it deja vu or has this already been announced and discussed on here a few days ago?