Page 1 of 8 12 ... LastLast

Thread: The US Open

The US Open

The last major tennis tournament of the year has started already.

Andy Murray kicks off his campaign in The early hours of Wednesday morning.

Will keep this thread updated with all the major news and any shock results.

I'm not completely sure but I think Argentinian Del Potro beat Federer in last years mens final.

I think thats right yea. He ended Federer's 80 year reign in the US Open with that shock.

Federer won his first match yesterday, and performed one of those reverse through-the-legs shots again..and got it in

Andy Murray got off to a winning start despite having play his game in the blazing sun.
    He defeated Slovakia's Lukas Lacko in just under 2 hours with a 6-3 6-2 6-2 victory to book his place in round 2.

An early upset in The US Open with Wimbledon finalist Tomas Berdych going out to France's Michael Llodra 7-6 6-4 6-4

Another victory for Andy Murray to see him through to Round 3.

This time against Jamaican Dustin Brown 7-5 6-3 6-0 in a rain delayed encounter.

I keep missing his matches, but seems like his first two matches haven't caused too many problems so far.

Next up for him is Stanislas Wawrinka, who he beat in that epic Wimbledon match last year.

As well as Berdych, Roddick was knocked out in the 2nd round by Janko Tipsarevic. Also, 11th seed Marin Cilic was beaten in the same round by Japan's Kei Nishikori

Here's the 3rd round draw:

(1)Rafael Nadal Vs Gilles Simon
    (23)Feliciano Lopez Vs Sergiy Stakhovsky

(10)David Ferrer Vs Daniel Gimeno-Traver
    (31)David Nalbandian Vs (Fernando Verdasco

(4)Andy Murray Vs (25)Stanislas Wawrinka
    (20)Sam Querrey Vs (14)Nicolas Almagro

(12)Mikhail Youzhny Vs (1John Isner
    Tommy Robredo Vs Michael Llodra
    ---------------------------------------
    Richard Gasquet Vs Kevin Anderson
    (17)Gael Monfils Vs Janko Tipsarevic

Arnaud Clement Vs (19)Mardy Fish
    James Blake Vs (3)Novak Djokovic

(5)Robin Soderling Vs Thiemo De Bakker
    (21)Albert Montanes Vs Kei Nishikori

(13)Jurgen Melzer Vs (22)Juan Carlos Ferrero
    Paul-Henri Mathieu Vs (2)Roger Federer

Thats a real shame that Andy Roddick is out already.

I expected him to do very well as this is his home tournament so to speak.

Thanks for posting The 3rd Round ties Tom

No problemo

I was going to put the results up for the first 2 rounds, but that was going to take way too much time

God damn it!

SCOT Andy Murray is out of The US Open after a shock defeat by Stanislas Wawrinka 6-7, 7-6,6-3, 6-3.

Thats another year then gone by without winning one of the 4 majors.

These scots are so crap!

He never looked like he was going to win that match.

There 6 spanish players still in the tournament! Here's the 4th Round matches:

Rafael Nadal Vs Feliciano Lopez
    David Ferrer Vs Fernando Verdasco

Stanislas Wawrinka Vs Sam Querrey
    Mikhail Youzhny Vs Tommy Robredo
    -------------------------------------------
    Richard Gasquet Vs Gael Monfils
    Mardy Fish Vs Novak Djokovic

Robin Soderling Vs Albert Montanes
    Jurgen Melzer Vs Roger Federer

Murray is just a typical hyped up British player, nothing more than that at the moment, despite all the media's claims he's only ever come close to winning a Grand Slam once so I dont get why everyone expects him to suddenly become the world best player every time a Grand Slam comes around. Federer and Nadal are still a level above and although he's obviously got the potential to do it one day he's still below the level thats required

Its hard to see who's going to win at the moment, I havent seen Nadal or Federer yet and Djokovic is always going to compete, could be anyone really