Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The US Open

There's still a few of the mens 4th round matches still to go (2 quarter finals so far are Federer v Soderling, and Monfils v Djokovic)

The Ladies' Quarter Final draw is complete now, and looks like this:

Caroline Wozniacki Vs Dominika Cibulkova
    Kaia Kanepi Vs Vera Zvonareva
    --------------------------------------------------
    Francesca Schiavone Vs Venus Williams
    Samantha Stosur Vs Kim Clijsters

She is well fit Caroline Wozniacki.

I mean she is an excellent tennis player!

Yea, she is a Great Dane.

..Not a dog, a really good danish tennis player!

Woman's tennis is so poor at the moment, just watching Wozniacki in her quarter final and she isnt even trying yet she's just won the first set 6-2. Same story the other day watching Clijsters against Ivanovic

Federer v Soldering next, doubt I'll still be up to watch it but it should be a good game with Soldering beating Fed a few times recently

Last night, Federer and Djokovic both eased to a semi-final meeting. Federer beat Soderling 6-4 6-4 7-5, while Djokovic saw off Monfils also in 3 sets, 7-6(7-2) 6-1 6-2.

Tonight, there's Nadal v Verdasco, and Wawrinka v Youzhny.

In the ladies, the semi final line up is Wozniaki v Zvonareva, and Venus v Clijsters.

Nadal and Youzhny make up the 2nd semi-final. Nadal beat Verdasco in straight sets, while Youzhny beat Wawrinka 3-6 7-6 (9-7) 3-6 6-3 6-3.

in the womens, it's Clijsters v Zvonareva in the final. Zvonareva knocked out the number 1 seed Wozniaki 6-4 6-3 and Clijsters beat Venus 4-6 7-6 (7-2) 6-4.

Nadal v Youzhny will be on at about 5pm, with Djokovic v Federer playing afterwards. Then it's the womens final once the 2 men's semis are finished.

I was gutted when Caroline Wozniacki lost to Zvonareva in The Womens semi finals!

However Kim Clijsters is quite fit too and a very good tennis player and easily won The final against The Russian.

The big shock in The Mens semi finals was that Djokovic beat Federer in a fantastic match that could have gone either way.

The Serbian now meets Rafael Nadal who I believe could now win all 4 majors this year if he wins The US Open final.

There is no play at The moment due to bad weather!

That Djokovic-Federer game was a marathon!

Federer's 2 sets both went to the 7th game winner, whereas Djokovic took his 2 comfortably, 6-1, 6-2. And then won the 5th set 7-5.

The final is now tonight, 9pm UK time. At least there'll be something to watch on a monday night for once!

Nadal had never won the title at Flushing Meadows and despite some outstanding tennis from Djokovic, the Spainard was just too good in every department for his opponent to stage a comeback.

Thrilled with the 6-4, 5-7, 6-4, 6-2 win and to have completed his career grand slam, Nadal said: "(Winning the US Open) is more than I dreamt, just to arrive to the final was amazing and to have the trophy in my hands in a few seconds with my heart beating is going to be unbelievable.

"I played my best match in the US Open at the most important moment, so I am very, very happy for that, for sure.

"To win in here I think is the more difficult tournament for me to play, more difficult conditions to adapt, to adjust my game on this court, for the balls, for the court, for everything.

"I improved a lot since last year, but never is enough. I am not a perfect player, so everybody can improve."

Even with improvement, Nadal was loathe to speculate on whether catching Roger Federer was realistic.

Federer, 29, has a record 16 grand slam championships to Nadal's nine, but the Spaniard's victory at Flushing Meadows was extra special compared to his previous wins.

"I think talking about if I am better or worse than Roger (Federer) is stupid," he said. "Because the titles say he's much better than me, so that's true at that moment. I think that will be true all my life. We will see what happens in the future. I am not a genius."

Reflecting on the match with Djokovic during which he was pushed hard for three hours 22 minutes, Nadal added: "First thing, I would like to congratulate Novak and all his team for a great tournament, you're a great player and you're going to win this trophy very soon, I'm sure of that.

"I want to congratulate you for a great attitude after losing a Grand Slam final, that's a great example for the kids."
    Nadal seems to be in a league of his own this season

It looks like Nadal has taken over from Federer as the best male tennis player in the world now.

This victory in The US Open means he has become The 7th player to ever win all 4 Grand Slams.

Thats it now I believe as far as major titles go until The Australian Open kicks off at the start of 2011.