Page 466 of 518 FirstFirst ... 366416456465466467476516 ... LastLast
Results 4,651 to 4,660 of 5171

Thread: Spurs Rumours

Re: Spurs Rumours

Well being serious Steely, I agree that some of those Tottenham players were hardly obvious "international class" players, but you could say the same about most of the England squad these days, the pool is shrinking. Tottenham have done well in the PL, in terms of finishing position, in recent years which is why the team attracts attention from the England manager.
    As for Sissoko, well shut my mouth, I never thought we'd stump up that much cash for him, I think we paid over the odds. Decent player but 30M worth? Not for me, the bloke is 27 years old, so while we'll be getting him in his 'peak' years we'll never see anything like that money for him when we go to sell.
    He's magic you kno-oow, Mauricio Poch-ett-ino!

Steely wrote:

"This is evidenced by the distinct lack of international action the minute they leave that club. the same is also true, of course, of Man United and Liverpool. players picked on the basis of their clubs rather than their individual contribution.

we must hope that our new leader Sam will put a stop to that ,"

Yeah, like I say Sam may well put the likes of Huddlestone, Mason and Dawson back in the squad to show he is not being biased towards the 'big' clubs. Be careful what you wish for!

I take your point, it is a fair one, but to be honest saving up a few promotional crisp packets will get you an England cap these days. How many times have we seen half the team subbed at half time in friendlies, or players on the 'fringe' getting games when the 'superstars' are 'injured' (aka "we've got some important league and European games coming up, I'm f*cked if I'm flying half way around the world to play a minnow in an international qualifying round"). If your point is that English players from a club like West Ham don't get picked, honestly I'd have nothing against them getting games but I don't think that most of them would be much better than those ex Spurs players you mention. It isn't that brilliantly talented players from 'smaller' clubs are being ignored in favour of mediocre players from the top 4/5 teams, it is just that there is a dearth of talent generally. If you are English and play in the PL you have a chance of a cap.

It's not a new thing though...it's been happening for years. Theo Walcott was the one that made me laugh after signing for arsenal.

Are you still currently laughing at Walcott OD?

You are missing the point Poker....at the time he was selected he had done nothing at all to prove himself at the highest level....and had arsenal not captured his signature, no way would he have gone to the world cup. He had not even played a competitive match for Arsenal by that point.

I agree OD. That was a ridiculous decision.

Its very quiet at Tottenham.

Other than Spurs giving new contracts to all their best players
    there have been no major signings so far.

They do have one of the best 1st teams in PL but not a very strong squad.

If the likes of Kane or Alli got injured they could struggle.

Quote Originally Posted by Hams View Post
    Its very quiet at Tottenham.

Other than Spurs giving new contracts to all their best players
    there have been no major signings so far.

They do have one of the best 1st teams in PL but not a very strong squad.

If the likes of Kane or Alli got injured they could struggle.

It's refreshing to see squads lean on the youth instead of buying their way - astronomically at times - out of trouble. Might as well give the young ones a chance.

Just look at:

Chelsea - sell De Bruyne as he wanted to play first team and they could promise him that. Sold for 25 million or so and bought back for a few times that. Now, deservedly playing first team for rivals Man City.

Man Utd - As above, with Pogba instead, but comes back to the club.

etc etc.

The top clubs would track players for years until they are fully coached and ready to play in the big time. Where's taking them while young and coaching them to the high standards they set. These back and forth transfer deals are making these clubs lack class. The rich have no class and buy, over the price, their way out of trouble. Pathetic.

It may be cannier than we know to recruit a promising young CB like Sanchez, Verts has probably another couple of seasons at the top, after which we'll need a suitable replacement. Poch says he expects to sign more players before the window closes, he wants four more players. If he gets his wish I suspect there will be a lot of happy Spuds!