Page 3 of 45 FirstFirst ... 23413 ... LastLast

Thread: Other Boxing Fights

Quote Originally Posted by specnur
    @johaldo

Peterson's head was often in a position that most fighters fear ,because usually when a fighter is coming in like he was a head butt to the face is the usual outcome. to prevent this from happening you have to push the man back or keep your hands on the back of his neck. Khan complained often to the ref about him coming in dangerously with his head and the ref warned Peterson often about keeping his head up. The fact that Khan was deducted points and peterson wasn't after constant warnings was suspect. If the ref would have taken a point from peterson after warning him that many times he would have bailed himself out and no one could say sh*t about him being a homer.
    I think Peterson's corner had words with the ref about Khan previous to the fight about their concerns or Khan's tactics and the ref was super sensitive to that and so was the outcome. It's smart of them ,but gullible of the ref.
    I thought Khan deserved to have a point taken for the amount of times he was warned ,because the ref put himself in the position where he couldn't ignore it any longer and keep any sort of credibility as an official.

Even though with the points deducted i still had Khan landing the harder shots and controlling most of the fight .There is absolutely no way you award peterson them titles in this fight and he's crazy to give Kahn a rematch ,because he will be he got incredibly fortunate . I give peterson a lot of credit though for coming back into the fight after getting hurt early on ,because i thought he was going out . He fought like a warrior and deserved respect for that ,but he didn't do enough to win them belts ,no way in hell.
    The full fight is here:

OK, so the ref was a complete homer, so what about the knockdown then? Do you think Khan knocked him down legally? Look at Lamont get up straight away and complain to the referee at 11:39. More importantly, look at the slo mo replay of it at 12:55. Khan doesn't catch Peterson properly at all - in fact Peterson crashes a massive left hook to Khan's jaw, but as he retreats, Khan shoves him with the elbow to the ground. Never, ever a legitimate knockdown, yet the "hometown" referee gives it to the foreigner Khan.

As for your chat about Peterson headbutting, show me where Khan gets headbutted.

Quote Originally Posted by Johaldo8
    @johaldo

Peterson's head was often in a position that most fighters fear ,because usually when a fighter is coming in like he was a head butt to the face is the usual outcome. to prevent this from happening you have to push the man back or keep your hands on the back of his neck. Khan complained often to the ref about him coming in dangerously with his head and the ref warned Peterson often about keeping his head up. The fact that Khan was deducted points and peterson wasn't after constant warnings was suspect. If the ref would have taken a point from peterson after warning him that many times he would have bailed himself out and no one could say sh*t about him being a homer.
    I think Peterson's corner had words with the ref about Khan previous to the fight about their concerns or Khan's tactics and the ref was super sensitive to that and so was the outcome. It's smart of them ,but gullible of the ref.
    I thought Khan deserved to have a point taken for the amount of times he was warned ,because the ref put himself in the position where he couldn't ignore it any longer and keep any sort of credibility as an official.

Even though with the points deducted i still had Khan landing the harder shots and controlling most of the fight .There is absolutely no way you award peterson them titles in this fight and he's crazy to give Kahn a rematch ,because he will be he got incredibly fortunate . I give peterson a lot of credit though for coming back into the fight after getting hurt early on ,because i thought he was going out . He fought like a warrior and deserved respect for that ,but he didn't do enough to win them belts ,no way in hell.
    The full fight is here:

OK, so the ref was a complete homer, so what about the knockdown then? Do you think Khan knocked him down legally? Look at Lamont get up straight away and complain to the referee at 11:39. More importantly, look at the slo mo replay of it at 12:55. Khan doesn't catch Peterson properly at all - in fact Peterson crashes a massive left hook to Khan's jaw, but as he retreats, Khan shoves him with the elbow to the ground. Never, ever a legitimate knockdown, yet the "hometown" referee gives it to the foreigner Khan.

As for your chat about Peterson headbutting, show me where Khan gets headbutted.
    I didn't say he headbutted him , but if Khan doesn't push him back you can pretty much guarantee it.
    The knock down may not have been clean but Khan rocked that boy good in this fight ,so for you to say he walked through Khan's punches is a bit misleading.

I didn't say he headbutted him , but if Khan doesn't push him back you can pretty much guarantee it.
    The knock down may not have been clean but Khan rocked that boy good in this fight ,so for you to say he walked through Khan's punches is a bit misleading.
    You can't guarantee a headbutt, and more importantly, you can't just shove the opponent away because you fear a headbutt.

The knockdown wasn't clean, and the only reason Peterson went down was because Khan shoved his elbow into his face.

Khan caught him a few times but the punches lacked power, hence why Peterson walked through them to beat him up inside.

As I said before, I had the fight as a draw, but if there was a winner, it was Peterson.

You can't guarantee a headbutt, and more importantly, you can't just shove the opponent away because you fear a headbutt.

The knockdown wasn't clean, and the only reason Peterson went down was because Khan shoved his elbow into his face.

Khan caught him a few times but the punches lacked power, hence why Peterson walked through them to beat him up inside.

As I said before, I had the fight as a draw, but if there was a winner, it was Peterson.
    In terms of the knock down ,we could be talking about a different instance where Peterson was rocked by a khan punch ,not knocked down but hurt none the less.

And yes it's ok to push someone away if you fear him cutting you with a reckless head butt ,i'm not sure if Khan was justified in doing every time HE did it ,but i wouldn't hesitate to use that tactic if i saw a fighter coming in like that.Ref may call it
    un-intentional ,but it puts me at a disadvantage from that moment on and i could get knocked out from a lack of vision.

In terms of the knock down ,we could be talking about a different instance where Peterson was rocked by a khan punch ,not knocked down but hurt none the less.
    specs, there was only ONE knockdown in the fight!! How confusing can it be??

specs, there was only ONE knockdown in the fight!! How confusing can it be??
    Bloke , FFS!
    You don't have to go down to be rocked by a punch. How many times have you watched a fight where i guy gets cracked and is able to stay on his feet? Well that's what happened in this fight.

We're talking about the knockdown, geezer!!

You was making the point that the referee was biased towards Peterson. I replied saying that Khan was awarded a knockdown (and hence a 10-8 round), even though he didn't knock Peterson down properly - he used his elbows as you can see on the video. That round should have been scored 10-9 to Khan, not 10-8.

So much for a biased referee

We're talking about the knockdown, geezer!!

You was making the point that the referee was biased towards Peterson. I replied saying that Khan was awarded a knockdown (and hence a 10-8 round), even though he didn't knock Peterson down properly - he used his elbows as you can see on the video. That round should have been scored 10-9 to Khan, not 10-8.

So much for a biased referee
    That knock down was given due to an error in the ref's judgement , a punch was thrown and the fighter went down,he didn't see the tangled feet so he had to call a knock down. If he didn't call the nock down he would have been banned for life given the way he reffed the rest of the fight. There is vast difference between one missed error and consistently warning one fighter over another.

Yes, there is fella.

Peterson didn't do anything wrong and got punished for it.

Khan was constantly pushing and shoving and got punished for it.

Moving on, any thoughts on the Froch fight coming up?

He's fighting Andre Ward for the title of Super Six Champion this saturday night.

As much as I would like to see The Cobra win, I fear that he will come unstuck by the Son of God. Ward is a very good boxer, fast and mobile. He's also a bit "heady", so Froch will have to be constantly have to warn the referee of that if heads get close.

My bet is that Ward will win on points, as Froch is tough as nails and Ward isn't particularly a hard puncher. But Ward's workrate and general ring slickness will see him get the title.