Page 1 of 19 1211 ... LastLast

Thread: Should Scotland become independent?

Should Scotland become independent?

So the leader of the SNP and First minister Alex Salmond would
    like Scotland to become independent and leave the UK and a referendum is being planned for 2014.

Would it be a good for England if the Scots decided to break up our special union which goes back 300 years?

At least we would no longer have to subsidise their free prescriptions,university,care and many other things.

What do you say?

Lets hope they dont, if they do we will end up at war with them over the North Sea resources in the future.

Yes, they should.
    The Poles worry about losing builders who go and build things for the English.
    I'm sure the Scots feel the same way about MPs who go and make laws for the English.

Quote Originally Posted by NickKIELCEPoland
    Yes, they should.
    The Poles worry about losing builders who go and build things for the English.
    I'm sure the Scots feel the same way about MPs who go and make laws for the English.
    Yeah and taking their hard earned cash back to Poland! Yeah a lot to worry about!

new thread created

I'm delighted that there is to be a referendum at the end of 2014 on if Scotland should become independent.

They have had it good for too long now North of the border with their free Universities,prescriptions,elderly health care etc.

I have never understood why so much more UK government money is spent on Scots than on the English,Welsh and Irish.

I hope they vote to break away and end our union as we will benefit from it England and I'm also sick of Scottish MP's voting on English laws at Westminster.

(I urge all Scots to vote SNP and for Alex Salmond)

It seems that Alex Salmond has still not got a bloody clue about whether Scotland would automatically be a member of the EU or not.

I think this is utterly pathetic on behalf of Salmond.

Like Alex Salmond, I find it hard to say "I don't know" when my profession says I should know (but I grit my teeth and do it, if I don't know).

And Alex Salmond's profession, as politician for Scottish independence definitely says he should know whether an independent Scotland would or wouldn't have to reapply to join the EU.

It looks as if Scotland will have to reapply, which goes against what Salmond has been saying about Scotland being a successor state.

The referendum will be held in less than two years. Let's hope the Scottish people know the answer when they go to the polling booths.

EU Commission president Barroso says an independent Scotland would be outside the EU upon becoming independent, and that if they wanted to join the EU they would have to reapply.

If they decide to join the EU they will have to join the euro area, and have the euro as their currency.

So, Scots who don't like being in the EU, but who do like being in Britain will have to weigh up those two sentiments against each other.

But at least they finally know the answer - and they also know that Alex Salmond got it hopelessly wrong. He must be feeling like a right birk.

Quote Originally Posted by Hams
    I'm delighted that there is to be a referendum at the end of 2014 on if Scotland should become independent.

They have had it good for too long now North of the border with their free Universities,prescriptions,elderly health care etc.

I have never understood why so much more UK government money is spent on Scots than on the English,Welsh and Irish.

I hope they vote to break away and end our union as we will benefit from it England and I'm also sick of Scottish MP's voting on English laws at Westminster.

(I urge all Scots to vote SNP and for Alex Salmond)
    Hams surely you have wondered why they have allowed this situation where we subsidise them so much.

I'll lay it on you: North Sea oil is still highly profitable.