Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 12312 ... LastLast

Thread: Should Scotland become independent?

Scotland would lose some money as you say, but the oil money isn't the only gain it would have - it would also save money, in not having to fund the many many many national institutions that are located to London, providing Londoners with lots of jobs - these institutions include parliament, the British Museum, Heathrow Airport (hub of British Airways).

But let us not forget the big news today - an independent Scotland would not be a member of the EU without applying, and if they did apply and join, they would be obliged to use the euro.

Quote Originally Posted by KimKallstrom2
    Quote Originally Posted by Hams
    I'm delighted that there is to be a referendum at the end of 2014 on if Scotland should become independent.

They have had it good for too long now North of the border with their free Universities,prescriptions,elderly health care etc.

I have never understood why so much more UK government money is spent on Scots than on the English,Welsh and Irish.

I hope they vote to break away and end our union as we will benefit from it England and I'm also sick of Scottish MP's voting on English laws at Westminster.

(I urge all Scots to vote SNP and for Alex Salmond)
    Hams surely you have wondered why they have allowed this situation where we subsidise them so much.

I'll lay it on you: North Sea oil is still highly profitable.
    I have often wondered especially when there are so many bitter Jocks around with chips on their shoulders who hate England for no genuine reason.

If it wasn't for us tax payers in London where most of the UK's wealth is generated our Scottish brothers would be living in poverty so you'd think they would like us a bit more.

I hope that this news from the EU today that Scotland will have to apply to join Europe if they become independent wont stop them voting to leave us.

The North sea oil money will soon run out then we can start drilling in the Falklands Islands and upset our Argentinian friends.

Quote Originally Posted by KimKallstrom2
    I'm delighted that there is to be a referendum at the end of 2014 on if Scotland should become independent.

They have had it good for too long now North of the border with their free Universities,prescriptions,elderly health care etc.

I have never understood why so much more UK government money is spent on Scots than on the English,Welsh and Irish.

I hope they vote to break away and end our union as we will benefit from it England and I'm also sick of Scottish MP's voting on English laws at Westminster.

(I urge all Scots to vote SNP and for Alex Salmond)
    Hams surely you have wondered why they have allowed this situation where we subsidise them so much.

I'll lay it on you: North Sea oil is still highly profitable.
    I have often wondered especially when there are so many bitter Jocks around with chips on their shoulders who hate England for no genuine reason.

If it wasn't for us tax payers in London where most of the UK's wealth is generated our Scottish brothers would be living in poverty so you'd think they would like us a bit more.

I hope that this news from the EU today that Scotland will have to apply to join Europe if they become independent wont stop them voting to leave us.

The North sea oil money will soon run out then we can start drilling in the Falklands Islands and upset our Argentinian friends.
    I indicated earlier why I totally reject the notion that Scotland gets and doesn't give with regard to London - they swap a bit of money in my opinion, and I gave my reasons earlier today on this thread.

As for what you say about how today's news will affect the referendum, all I know is that the Scots now have the chance to leave the EU, if they want to.

The SNP is not providing any legal argumentation, but they are still desperately trying to convince the Scottish people that Barroso is wrong in his assertion that Scotland would be outside the EU upon independence.

Where is all the EU scepticism then - apparently the Scots don't want to lose their EU citizenship, with all the rights that it brings with it.

If we are going to only look at the money side of thing, let's at least make sure we've done the necessary research before making statements. (although it really doesn't seem as if ethnicity plays much of part - and why would it, Europe is well on the way to becoming a melting pot, as I've said.

The Scots don't want to lose EU citizenship, and neither would the English be too thrilled about it, I suspect.

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by NickKIELCEPoland
    If we are going to only look at the money side of thing, let's at least make sure we've done the necessary research before making statements. (although it really doesn't seem as if ethnicity plays much of part - and why would it, Europe is well on the way to becoming a melting pot, as I've said.

The Scots don't want to lose EU citizenship, and neither would the English be too thrilled about it, I suspect.
    who said anything about ethnicity?

England are not in the EU. Great Britain is.
    I know you didn't say anything about ethnicity. I was providing a reason for why the money side of things appeared to be dominating the debate.

I personally believe that as Great Britain is in the EU, England is also.

I love the way the SNP are trying to tell the Scottish people not to listen to what Barroso says about the organisation that he heads - way to bring Barroso round.

After Hogmanay, Mr. Salmond should try to find out as soon as possible what the EU situation of Scotland will be if they choose independence.

I don't see it happening unless the majority of people in Scotland want to leave Britain which I don't think they do.

Just 1 year to go til the referendum now. Most of the recent polls show a 15% - 20% lead for the 'No' vote, but the most interesting thing is how many people are still undecided - about 20% in most cases. The feeling I get from most of the undecided people that I have spoke too is that they like the idea of Independence but they are slightly scared by it.

I am all for it, Scotland could survive financially - even David Cameron has admitted this. I haven't heard a decent argument from the Better Together campaign that isn't based on negativity and fear. It is only right that a country should be allowed to rule itself. Devolution has worked and Independence is the next logical step. For too long Scotland has been lumbered with Tory governments in Westminster that they didn't vote for. Independence will also be a boost for the other main parties north of the border that are at the moment not trusted up north. Labour will be able to redefine itself and break free from Milliband inspired 'Blue Labour'. The Lib Dems may be able to gain support by breaking ties with Nick Clegg. At the moment Westminster offers no choice for the people of Scotland, just a mix of right-wing MPs on all sides, and with the emergence of UKIP the sooner we get out the better!.

I'm fully prepared for it to be a 'No' vote but I am doing my bit for the cause and have already convinced 2 undecided to vote 'Yes'!.