Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst ... 23413 ... LastLast

Thread: Should Scotland become independent?

The question is not about how better Scotland have fared under Tory or Labour UK Governments but how Scotland have had Tory governments forced upon them when they have not voted for them. Since the 2nd World War, Scotland has only voted for the Tories once, in 1955. Since then they have diminished as a political force north of the border, they were totally wiped out in 1997!. Yet time and time again the votes of Middle England have given Scots a minority party running their affairs.

With regards to currency, Scotland already has a currency. The Great British Pound, this will continue to be our currency after independence as Scotland will still be part of Britain regardless of whether it is part of the UK. After all it is not called the Great English Pound!. Scotland even produces its own banknotes - 3 different types of them!.

Scotland will benefit from being Independent as we already pay 9.6% of the taxes and receive only 9.3% back in funding. Scotland will make big savings from not supporting the current nuclear weapons and not having to pay for the 650 MPs in Westminster and the House of Lords (Another unelected institution that nobody voted for!). Scotland is also a major force in renewable energy and has the potential to supply 22% of europes energy need from wind farms and tidal energy which Scotland has already invested it, currently powering nearly 200,000 homes at the moment and looking to rise to 500,000 by 2020.

and as your mate David Cameron has previously stated : 'It would be wrong to suggest that Scotland could not be a successful, independent country'

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Hill
    with Labour's heavy use of the public sector and fondness for welfare it is no surprise that Scotland vote for them in their droves.

so you're content for your economy to still be heavily driven by England? after all, inflation and the power of the pound is majorly down to England. as you'll know, interest rates are set by the Bank of England. therefore you wouldn't be 'independent' at all, you'd be wholly dependent on us to maintain the strength of your economy through our currency. basically you'd be using a foreign currency. your own banknotes are nothing more than tokenism since they carry the worth given to them by the Bank of England.

have you got a link for those figures? even if they are factual, i'd argue you do very well since you're almost breaking even. compare that with the give and take of the South East and i'd imagine you'd keel over.

you may consider that your 'renewable energy' will bring prosperity but i just can't see it. i've watched a number of debates on the matter and the lack of clarity on so many issues from the SNP suggests they have no idea what they're doing. i don't see that you're in safe, confident hands at all.
    The Scottish pound will be managed by the Scottish government obviously.

The figures are in the Government Expenditure and Revenue Scotland (GERS) report :-
    It shows that Scotland is better off to the tune of £824 per person, or £4.4bn in total. And over the last five years, Scotland has been in a stronger financial position relative to the UK as a whole by a total of £12.6bn. That money should stay in Scotland.

For a party that 'have no idea what they're doing' they seem to be running the country very well!. They enjoy a huge majority in the Scottish Parliament and Alex Salmond is seen as so strong up here that he could survive a rejection of the SNPs flagship policy largely unscathed. Love him or hate him (and I don't particulary like him!) he is proper leader. The problem with Dewar, McLeish and McConnell is that they were never leaders, they were just puppets for Tony Blair to control. The only people Alex Salmond is answerable to is the people of Scotland.

The Scottish pound will be separate currency so of course it will be controlled north of the border!. As I pointed out before we already have Scottish notes. They still have pound sterling on them and will be the Scottish currency - The Scottish Pound, different to the British Pound

It is plain wrong to suggest its all down to an anti-English attitude up here. I have been watching the 'Yes Scotland' campaign very closely and have seen nothing anti-English about it, certainly nothing that has offended me. England will be one of Scotlands main trading partners so of course it is not anti-English.

If what you say is true and Scotland can only survive with huge investment from the affluent Londerners then why is David Cameron 'fighting tooth and nail to keep Scotland in the union'?. It is certainly not for political gain as the Tories are a minority is Scotland and an Independent Scotland would mean the loss of about 50 safe Labour seats in Westminster and a Tory majority south of the border a certainty in future. The answer is that Scotland is very profitable.

Modern Scotland is a vibrant, innovative, culturally diverse and advanced country, or do you think we still live in mud huts and paint of faces blue?.

Unfortunately I have to agree with Steely. It would be an absolute economic disaster for the Scottish people if they became independent.

Anyway if they become independent what happens to the unionists living there? Will they partition the country?

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus
    The Scottish pound will be separate currency so of course it will be controlled north of the border!. As I pointed out before we already have Scottish notes. They still have pound sterling on them and will be the Scottish currency - The Scottish Pound, different to the British Pound

It is plain wrong to suggest its all down to an anti-English attitude up here. I have been watching the 'Yes Scotland' campaign very closely and have seen nothing anti-English about it, certainly nothing that has offended me. England will be one of Scotlands main trading partners so of course it is not anti-English.

If what you say is true and Scotland can only survive with huge investment from the affluent Londerners then why is David Cameron 'fighting tooth and nail to keep Scotland in the union'?. It is certainly not for political gain as the Tories are a minority is Scotland and an Independent Scotland would mean the loss of about 50 safe Labour seats in Westminster and a Tory majority south of the border a certainty in future. The answer is that Scotland is very profitable.

Modern Scotland is a vibrant, innovative, culturally diverse and advanced country, or do you think we still live in mud huts and paint of faces blue?.
    The Scottish Pound IS the British Pound at the moment. it is the same thing but with a different look. it carries the same value and strength in foreign markets because it remains GBP - governed by the Bank of England. if you want independence you must surely also want to cease ties with the BoE and run your own currency - that means your own exchange rates which will be determined by economic strength. The Euro should give you an idea for how risky it can be to take on a new currency.

i don't think the campaign is anti-English but an awful lot of the electorate most certainly are.

strength in numbers is why Cameron wants Scotland to remain. it's why the Commonwealth remains relevant and it's why the EU exists. it's obviously false to suggest that Scotland offer nothing to the UK but i personally feel that independence would do far more harm to your country than it would to the UK.

Scotland is partly those things. however, it is also partly desolate, heavily reliant on the public sector and has more than its fair share of social problems, both drink/drug related and poverty. i don't see how independence will improve matters.
    I'd agree with most of that, but do you have to be such an arrogant jackass about it?

The Scottish Pound IS the British Pound at the moment. it is the same thing but with a different look. it carries the same value and strength in foreign markets because it remains GBP - governed by the Bank of England. if you want independence you must surely also want to cease ties with the BoE and run your own currency - that means your own exchange rates which will be determined by economic strength. The Euro should give you an idea for how risky it can be to take on a new currency.

i don't think the campaign is anti-English but an awful lot of the electorate most certainly are.

strength in numbers is why Cameron wants Scotland to remain. it's why the Commonwealth remains relevant and it's why the EU exists. it's obviously false to suggest that Scotland offer nothing to the UK but i personally feel that independence would do far more harm to your country than it would to the UK.

Scotland is partly those things. however, it is also partly desolate, heavily reliant on the public sector and has more than its fair share of social problems, both drink/drug related and poverty. i don't see how independence will improve matters.
    The population of Scotland is anti-English?!?!

I Have lived here for 14 years and have only encountered anti-English abuse twice. There are a huge number of English people that live in Scotland - I know about 15 personally and all but 1 support Independence. I Have travelled to many places in Scotland and the welcome from the people has always been friendly, warm and welcoming. Your last comments is purely based on an anti-Scottish attitude.

Scotland benefits the UK immensely - contributing more than it receives. It is only right that the money should stay north of the border. Of course there are parts of Scotland that are suffering but that's because we are coming out of a double dip recession, social problems come hand in hand with unemployment and savage cuts and large parts of England are in the same situation. Independence gives Scotland the opportunity to choose its own solutions to the challenges that lay ahead rather than have it dictated to by the Tory government that Scotland did not vote for.

Scotland is a country in its own right and should have the right to govern itself - I question the sanity of any person who thinks countries should not govern themselves.

I Have lived here for 14 years and have only encountered anti-English abuse twice. There are a huge number of English people that live in Scotland - I know about 15 personally and all but 1 support Independence. I Have travelled to many places in Scotland and the welcome from the people has always been friendly, warm and welcoming. Your last comments is purely based on an anti-Scottish attitude.

Scotland benefits the UK immensely - contributing more than it receives. It is only right that the money should stay north of the border. Of course there are parts of Scotland that are suffering but that's because we are coming out of a double dip recession, social problems come hand in hand with unemployment and savage cuts and large parts of England are in the same situation. Independence gives Scotland the opportunity to choose its own solutions to the challenges that lay ahead rather than have it dictated to by the Tory government that Scotland did not vote for.

Scotland is a country in its own right and should have the right to govern itself - I question the sanity of any person who thinks countries should not govern themselves.
    They don't need to become independent to govern themselves. They could have a home rule system like the North, so they'd still govern themselves & have all the economic benefits of the UK.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-19942638

the referendum will be happening.

baffling how they think the nation will run efficiently being so small and on the very edge of Europe. Scandanavia survives on very high taxation of its citizens but the jocks are burdened with a high amount of state dependent people.

recipe for disaster shrouded in misguided patriotism and anti-english jealousy and resentment. let's just hope they don't come cap in hand to us in the future.
    Yeah their jealous of England that's why they can't wait to get rid of them. It's bigots like you who have drove the Scottish people to thinking independence is better for them & that nobody wants them in the UK. If the UK falls apart the blame is solely on you & your EDL buddies.

Quote Originally Posted by tdv123

They don't need to become independent to govern themselves. They could have a home rule system like the North, so they'd still govern themselves & have all the economic benefits of the UK.
    You're talking about 'devo-max', an option that should really have been on the ballot paper and it was foolish of Salmond not to accept it as I think it would be a vote winner. I Favour Independence but I would have voted for 'devo-max' if it had more chance of succeeding than the 'yes' vote.

Well done to the Tories,Labour and the Lib Dems for joining forces
    to tell the Scots that if they become independent they wont be able to keep the pound.

It was an excellent speech today by our chancellor George Osbourne.

As expected the SNP have now accused them all of bullying!