Page 3 of 41 FirstFirst ... 23413 ... LastLast

Thread: Here's to you, Ma'am

Quote Originally Posted by Hektorek
    Quote Originally Posted by Pokerkings
    And she's a MASSIVE Arsenal fan.

I used to hear she's an Arsenal fan, but then in 2009 I heard that she supports West Ham. Finally, I don't know which option is true.
    you are absolutely correct Hekkers. good to see you are well-versed in Regal trivia.

Her Majesty is indeed a fan of West Ham United.

"After years of refusing to publicly name her favourite football team, the Queen has let slip she is a secret West Ham fan.

Her Majesty revealed her love of the Hammers, whose anthem is I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles, to staff after overhearing them talking about the club's rivalry with East London neighbours Millwall.

Her allegiance is believed to date back to her admiration for West Ham's most successful manager, the late Ron Greenwood. She met him several times and awarded him the CBE in 1981. The Queen has also always had huge respect for the spirit of East Enders, who were repeatedly bombed by the Germans during the Blitz.

A Windsor Castle source said: "The Queen has never wanted people to know who she supports because she wants to be seen to be neutral.

"But she gave up her secret after overhearing one of her staff members saying he was a Millwall fan and was talking to another member of staff about the derby between West Ham and their arch rivals.

"They were quite shocked - after all, she's not exactly your typical West Ham fan.""

The Queen - who was previously rumoured to be an Arsenal fan - joins the ranks of other famous supporters of West Ham such as Steely Hill.

One is not amused by Sam Allardyce's brand of football, it is thought.

Irrelevant old biddy from an irrelevant historical relic of a monarchy which has no place in the modern world.

You should be hung for that!

Respect your authroity!

Anyway.....

LONDON, April 23 (Reuters) - Arsenal's season has been a disappointment on the pitch but at least it seems they can still count on the support of the Queen.

The 81-year-old Queen Elizabeth, like her late mother, has been a keen follower of the Gunners for 50 years.

Players and officials of the north London club were invited to a reception at Buckingham Palace in February after the Queen had to pull out of opening their new Emirates Stadium in October because of a bad back.

The report in the Sun quotes Arsenal's Spanish midfielder Cesc Fabregas as saying the Queen told him she was a fan.

'It seems the Queen follows football and she told us she was an Arsenal fan,' Fabregas is quoted as saying. 'She appeared to definitely know who I was and we exchanged a few special words.'

An senior royal source also confirms in the article that she supports the club.

'Her Majesty has been fond of Arsenal for over 50 years,' the source said. 'Her late mother was a self-confessed Gooner, due largely to her admiration of their former player Denis Compton.'

Compton, who played for England at football and cricket, won the league with Arsenal in 1948 and the FA Cup in 1950.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Jono
    Irrelevant old biddy from an irrelevant historical relic of a monarchy which has no place in the modern world.
    what makes Her Majesty all the more special is that she will even let you get away with such treachery towards your Head of State, despite it being a clear load of nonsense.

when the Queen visits, the world stops. to say she is 'irrelevant' is nothing more than a joke. furthermore, i would expect nothing more from somebdy dwellin 'down under' to disregard the power of history and tradition.

Her Majesty absolutely has a place in the modern world. her recent visit to Ireland showed what a unifying figure she can be. totally free from politics, our Regal Beauty continues to dazzle the entire world with her grace and charm. she is the worlds greatest pubilc servant and one that is admired across the globe.

Respect your authroity!
    You can respect your authority only in case when it's worth being respected. The authority should be rather criticized. Citizens should tell to their prime minister, president etc. which things they do are good, which moves shouldn't be done or simply give them a piece of advice. The results of each decision must be good for all the country, not only for the authority.

So, if my authority haven't done something amazing - I have no idea why I should respect them. Just because they had so much points in a voting? Personally, I will always respect my parents or some other people I'm impressed by than an authority.

Respect your authroity!
    You can respect your authority only in case when it's worth being respected. The authority should be rather criticized. Citizens should tell to their prime minister, president etc. which things they do are good, which moves shouldn't be done or simply give them a piece of advice. The results of each decision must be good for all the country, not only for the authority.

So, if my authority haven't done something amazing - I have no idea why I should respect them. Just because they had so much points in a voting? Personally, I will always respect my parents or some other people I'm impressed by than an authority.
    but everything Her Majesty does is brilliant so she must always be respected.

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Hill

Respect your authroity!

but everything Her Majesty does is brilliant so she must always be respected.
    If your Queen does a great job - she deserves a respect. But Pokerkings wrote it a bit generally. You know, there are many worthless authorities in the world.

This forum gets weirder and weirder.......

And she's a MASSIVE Arsenal fan.
    Probably from back in the day when you were half decent, the glory-hunter - she'll be Spurs next year **

I wasn't around on the forum last year when she visited Ireland, but it was the most amazing visit ever - even staunch Republicans 'warmed' to her.

Prior to the visit I was dreading it, fearing the worst - riots on the streets of Dublin, assassination attempts...it was a strange time, the thought that Ireland may be remembered in history as the place where Elizabeth II met her end to the cheers of an Irish Nation. Even decent-minded Irish men & women (my missus included) feared such an outcome.

But quite literally from the moment she stepped off the plane in Aer-Lingus green, her magic kicked in and everyone was charmed by her grace, her regret to the wrong-doings of the past, and her attempt of reconciliation.

Her visit to the Garden of Rememberance was touching, full of integrity and done with so much respect to the fallen 'enemy'. My wife's family could not believe what they were seeing, it felt genuine & heartfelt.

And then when she opened her speech at Dublin Castle with a few words of Irish - well it was incredible to say the least, the Irish president mouthed the word "wow" which echoed the countries feelings.

It genuinely was a moving time, and a credit to herself - as I mentioned, hardened monarch haters waved her off with a tear in the eye & a glow in the belly....I've never particularly been a Royalist, but have always been able to appreciate the role she plays as head of state and to the tourist trade - but last summer I was really proud.

For the first time most people felt they could move on and leave the past in the past. She left hoping to return, which was reciprocated by the majority of the nation.

My hat off to you ma'am.

Top post Sparky.